A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beautiful Use Swap. Signups Closed. Sendouts 2/29/08.  (Read 32668 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

violet_thistle
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2008 05:09:01 PM »

Hot Pot Rest of collected corks and plumbing hardware.

Oh!!! That is what I should do with all the wine corks around here! Cheesy Love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hugs, Trish

Quilter, beginning crochet,  beginning apparel sewing, learning to knit

My Etsy
My Wists
My Blog
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2008 05:17:20 PM »

It's a fun and easy craft that I did probably a decade ago.  At the time the hardware part was probably less than a buck and of course, the wine corks come FREE with the wine.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annacharlotte
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2008 11:05:03 AM »

I'm falling behind on replying to things I've loved that you all have posted.  That bark is just lovely.  Reminds me of the texture of buildings in Mexico (something I also photographed compulsively when I lived there) that have been painted and painted endlessly.

I am yet another container fetishist...love canning jars, jars with corks, glass-topped metal canisters.  Sigh.

Oh, nudey toothbrush holder!  Both beautiful and so cute in the bathroom.  Your bathroom must be amazing, MistressT.

I'm also a big fan of the milk chute story.  Where in the midwest did you grow up, Camelama?  I've never seen a milk chute!  Laundry shoots, yes...milk chutes, no.  I have seen old slide-out fire escapes on schoolhouses, though.  Or maybe just read about them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veludo
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2008 12:38:06 PM »

i'm looking for beautiful + useful things like crazy... and i can't!
i start thinking "is this really useful???"

help me!!!!  Grin

Isn't beauty in itself of at least some use?  Seems like anything that doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing to do it's job (and it's job is not too esoteric), but is beautiful would qualify.

And also, I finally got the wist thing situated (not on my toolbar, alas). 

sure it is.
but i've always seen this swap's theme as beautiful utilitarian (does this word exists?) objects.
and, of course i can find beautiful and useful objects around here, i just don't have the time nor the proper light to photograph them  Grin

i think i'll post some links later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

camelama
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2008 12:51:14 PM »

Well, we called it a "chute" but it was really just a horizontal hole in the wall of the house, with a little door on the outside and a door on the inside.  Typically in houses built before 1960.

I grew up near Ann Arbor MI, but spent a lot of time in da UP eh, and in Minnesota.  

Some milk chute stories:

http://lkwdpl.org/lore/lore114.htm

and wow, only found one photo on google images!  Well, this one and one of a chute removed and bricked in.

http://www.bloodhoundrealty.com/BloodhoundBlog/?p=2069
It's down a few images.  Just a little door in the brick wall.

We got to crawl through that thing an embarassing number of times.  Mom was always forgetting her keys, but she had 4 kids of her own to keep track of, plus we were THE house in the neighborhood to play at, so she typically had about 20 kids in the house/yard.  Smiley  So we cut her some slack.

You'll also find them in old apartment buildings, say, from 1930's and earlier, where they were not only milk chutes but it was where the ice delivery man would leave your block of ice - so the chute was insulated and the doors sealed.  And each apartment had one.  I *loved* an apartment I had in college that had one of those, made it really easy for the mailman to leave packages, and for me to leave things for my friends or them for me - I could lock the inside door so no one could get through (that chute was *big*, the milk-only-chutes could only fit a very small child through).  

I miss things like that, that we lose due to our other inventions.  The milk chute and the ice chute were perfect for other needs, it's too bad we don't have them any longer.  

One thing I realized I *ADORE* and don't have are some really beautiful bowls.  I do like my plastic OXO mixing bowls, but I envy people who have kitchens where they can store/display and use those beautiful colorful pottery etc bowls for mixing etc.   I want enough counter space to display a stack of multi-coloured bowls!  How cheerful and beautiful and useful!   Anyone have pictures of something like that?   I read through the Crate&Barrel catalog every time it's delivered, simply to drool over the bowls.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving!" - Auntie Mame

How are things in Glocca Morra?
superhooker

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2008 01:18:26 PM »

I used to rent a house from a friend, and he said we could make any changes we wanted to (it was a really crappy house, so anything was an improvement!), so I took all the cabinet doors off in the kitchen.  I really love the look of that, when you can see all the stuff.  I kept all my dishes, and pantry food that had beautiful boxes in those cabinets, and it all sorta looked like a display shelf.  I wish I could do it in my house now, but I don't think the effect would be right.  Glass doors would be good though...when I win the lottery....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
maiziemama
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2008 02:01:04 PM »

I love beautiful bowls!  Here's a shot of some of my vintage fiestaware mixing bowls....

I inherited a ridiculous amount of vintage fiestaware from my late grandma....we knew she collected it, but she literally stashed it in so many cupboards in her house it was bizarre but funny..( hmmm kinda like my yarn stash Roll Eyes)  It don't like to eat on it  ( rumours of lead and wierd radioactive stuff in the glazes!) but it sure is pretty to look at.  I am redoing my kitchen using fiesta colors.

Superhooker, I look the look of cabinets with no doors too.  That was the first thing I did in our new house.  The kitchen has these sterile looking mass produced cabinet doors, so off they came!  Now you can see all the cups and bowls and canning jars full of grains and beans and spices!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clarebear84
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2008 06:00:35 PM »

Oh I love those bowls! They must make mixing things uber fun! I have these cool handmade pottery bowls shaped like hearts with wavey colors.  They are in storage now and I miss them terribly. They have matching soup bowls with handles (or they could be GIANT latte mugs).  I can't mix in them due to the heart shape.

We had cabinets with no doors in our old apartment, not only was it awesome for displaying our glassware, pottery, dishes, mugs, and tea cups, it was also so incredibly functional! Whenever you need something you grab it with no door in the way.  On the other hand, I like the look of glass kitchen doors as well.  Like the craftsman style wooden doors or Ikea has some nice white doors with little square windows.  Glass doors or no doors, adding some shelf illuminating lighting is also a plus!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Because behind this mask is an idea Mr. Crede, and ideas are bulletproof."  -V
oneredboot
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2008 06:08:09 PM »

I love the idea of taking the doors off of the cabinets but I've gotta ask:  doesn't everything get dusty??  And do you leave some cabinets on (like on the lower ones) to have a place to hide things that aren't as fabulous-looking?  Like the wide-mouth plastic top for the Kitchen-Aid bowl, for instance:  useful, but not beautiful. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2008 06:50:02 PM »

Regardless of the beauty of some of my useful kitchen things, there's no way I could maintain tidy enough kitchen cabinets to go doorless!  Dusting is my least favorite household chore, too.  So, for me anyway, cabinet doors are beauseful!  Wink  I do admire the photos I see of open concept cabinetry in designer magazines, owned by people who are tidier than I!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Red Venetian Plaster
The Art of Body Painting
How to draw Raphael from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
How to draw Alviss from MAR
How to Draw Angelica Pickles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...