A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 307,573
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beautiful Use Swap. Signups Closed. Sendouts 2/29/08.  (Read 49238 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annacharlotte
« on: January 01, 2008 01:10:53 PM »

Swap name: Beautiful Use
Craftster member who is organizing this swap: annacharlotte
Co-organizer: babychel
Sign-up date range: 1/1/08?1/30/08
Date to send item by: 2/29/08

Limited to a certain number of people? (optional): 24

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? Nope

All ages allowed? Yes, but if you?re under 18 please get the blessing of your elders before joining.

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: N/A

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES

Details of swap:

This is a swap idea I found and am pilfering (with permission) from Kelly of "Hoping for Happy Accidents" http://www.hopingforhappyaccidents.blogspot.com/.

It goes a little something like this:

"Participants are asked to send any three objects that are at once utilitarian, simple and beautiful to their partner. Think about the beauty in the everyday...a packet of perfect new pencils, a white enamel bowl, handmade beeswax candles, a natural canvas tote with red stitching...?

In Craftster terms, you must craft at least one medium object for your partner.  The other two objects can be new, thrifted, vintage, or handmade, but keep in mind that it?s best to send something you?d be pleased to receive.  Partners may choose to craft more than one item for each other, but they must communicate and agree in advance so that nobody gets the short end of the stick, crafting-wise.  Please do not send more than three items.  The idea is to carefully choose three perfect pieces for your partner.  Keep it simple, keep it lovely, and don?t go overboard with extras.

Archives of previous rounds can be found here: http://beautiful-use.blogspot.com/

And additional photos are on flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/65091450@N00/

So, let?s review:

One medium, hand-crafted (by you) beautiful and useful object and...
Two small or medium (agreed upon by partners) beautiful, useful objects that may be made, bought, borrowed or stolen (okay, maybe not so much those last two).

(I feel like The Count..."Oooone beautifu, useful item...twoooo beautiful, useful items...")

Size guidelines:
Large=3 or more hours of work, $30 or more dollars (a shawl, a set of carved wooden bowls, a purse)
Medium=1.5-3 hours, $10-$30...(a set of notecards, a scarf, a simple bag)
Small=less than 1.5 hours, less than $10 (a spoon, a patch, a packet of pencils, a bookmark). 

These terms are really subjective.  The important thing is to talk with your partner, and agree on the amount of time, money, and effort you want to spend.

Additional requirements:

Half the fun of swapping is chatting, so....

1. Post in the swap thread at least once a week for the duration of the swap. Once you have sent and received you are freed from this requirement.  If you don?t fulfill this requirement you?ll get a comment of ?poor communication? in your feedback. 

I don?t want to be to authoritarian about this, but it?s my experience that partners feel more comfortable knowing their co-conspirators are still kicking around, and everybody has more fun when they talk to each other, and share their crafting trials and tribulations.

2.  Keep in regular contact with your partner.  Drop a line now and again to let them know how your project is going, ask them questions, and hone your insight into their likes and dislikes.  The more you know about your partner, the better you can tailor your work to please them.

3. YOU MUST PM ME AND YOUR PARTNER WHEN YOU SEND AND WHEN YOU RECEIVE.  If you are sending within your own country, you must have a DC# (delivery confirmation number)?they cost an extra $.50-$.60 in the US.  When  you pm to say you have sent, be sure to include your DC number.  If you are sending outside of your country and cannot get a tracking number, you must keep your receipt as proof of shipping.

4.  When you receive, you must post pictures in the gallery. If you don?t have a digital camera, make sure you let your partner know so that s/he can photograph their work before shipping, and post their own pictures once you?ve received.  This is a good thing to do anyhow, just in case (God forbid) your package gets lost in the mail or something... 

If you do have your own camera, try to get a photo of each item on its own.  This stems directly from a pet peeve of mine, but I think people like to see the details, and that often gets lost in a ?group shot.?

5. You must post at least one ?inspiration photo? during the crafting period. This is really just for fun, and there will be no negative consequence if you don?t fulfill it.  You might photograph a beautiful, useful object in your own home, or something you discover while searching for treats for your partner and decide not to purchase, or just an interesting piece of architecture or art in your city or town.  It could also be a link to a photo online...I know I have some dreamy beautiful, useful (and ridiculously expensive) items in my wist.  I?m sure you do too!  Let?s share them.

6.  I?ve probably forgotten something, so make sure you read the Craftster swapping guidelines at: Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

Still with me? 

If you want to participate, complete the following questionnaire and pm your answers to me. 

1. Name of swap:
2. Craftster username:
3. Email address:
4. Your real name:
5. Mailing address including the country:
6. Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?
7. What is the most beautiful, useful object you have?
8. How about a beautiful, useful, object you covet?
9. What attracts you to an object?  (Color, texture, age...what is the
characteristic that zings in your heart and tells you that something must come home with you?)
10. What crafts do you like to do?
11. What sorts of crafts would you like to receive?
12. Tell your partner about yourself.  What?s important to you?  Favorite colors?  Favorite smells?  Things you love?  Things you hate?  Your favorite era?  Your design inspirations? 
13. Do you smoke?  Have pets? Have allergies?
14. Anything else your partner should know?

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ME, ANNACHARLOTTE, VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

*IMPORTANT: Please do not apply if you have a habit of being late without communication in swaps, as I will most likely be disinclined to allow you to join.*

Swappers who have been approved:

1.   hkfleming
2.   babychel
3.   addicted2knitting
4.   TheMistressT
5.   maiziemama
6.   rakechan
7.   camelama
8.   ambear
9.   therisa
10.    veludo
11.   violet_thistle
12.   clarebear84
13.   cnds1992
14.   superhooker
15.   oneredboot
16.   dazedllama
17.    alteredmommy
18.   quilted
19.   ajanderson78
20.   Pinkanddinky
21.   mimiw
22.   pamdelangel
23.   dirtyprettythings
24.   Audrey1999
25.   !b
26.   annacharlotte

PARTNERS!!!
Blue=Sent
Green=Received
Purple=Sent+Received
Orange=Late with communication
Red=You are a naughty, naughty Craftster who has not sent or communicated with the organizer.

1.   hkfleming+received <--> Therisa--received from angel baychel!
2.   babychel <--> pamdelangel
3.   addicted2knitting <-->cnds1992
4.   TheMistressT <--> camelama
5.   maiziemama <--> violet_thistle
6.   rakechan <--> audrey1999
7.   veludo +received <--> dazedllama
8.   clarebear84 <--> quilted
9.   alteredmommy (+received) <--> dirtyprettythings
10.   mimiw <--> superhooker
11.   ajanderson78 <--> pinkanddinky
12.   !b <--> ambear
13.   annacharlotte +received <--> oneredboot

Gallery!  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=225753.0
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008 08:48:42 AM by annacharlotte » THIS ROCKS   Logged

!b
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008 11:16:28 PM »

SO many awesome swaps are up right now! Definitely bookmarking this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alli_Lucy
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008 06:04:47 AM »

I really want to do this one but I'm not sure that the timing will work out.  I'll keep an eye on it and decide next week.  It sounds like it will be a really great swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
annacharlotte
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008 06:35:13 AM »

I'm afraid I jumped the gun in posting signups...  I was just so excited to get going I couldn't resist!  I'm happy to postpone it if the timing doesn't work for lots of people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008 07:30:18 AM »

should i sign up now, then?  or wait to know if it'll be postponed?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
dragonflyducky
easily distracted

ooooooooh!

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008 07:39:53 AM »

This really interested me, but there are a few other swaps I was going to do at this time.  So, I hope you do postpone as it seems like a nice idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annacharlotte
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008 07:53:03 AM »

Hi Dragonflyducky!  Ooh...if you want to participate I think I could make accomodations.

Dragonflyducky was my partner in the stuffy swap, and she made me a gorgeous Wawaya-inspired pet, with his own little pet bug with felted sweater wings.  I think our swap would definitely be elevated by her presence in it.   Cheesy

RubySoho...I'm not sure.  I'm definitely going to do the swap within a month, so I think it's fine to sign up unless you anticipate being in loads of swaps and going over your limit.  Then you might want to hold off... 

What I'm thinking of doing is just leaving the signups open a bit longer and pushing back sendouts.  Does that make sense?  (Pardon the first time organizerishness of my befuddlement.   Wink  )
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008 07:56:07 AM by annacharlotte » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dragonflyducky
easily distracted

ooooooooh!

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008 08:04:58 AM »

<blushing>  Cheesy Wow, thank you for the awesome compliment! You made some wonderful stuffies for me and my kids too!
There are so many swaps starting up right now, it might be better to extend sign-ups if you want more numbers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annacharlotte
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008 09:12:24 AM »

Okee...here's what I'm thinking: I'll leave the signups open through 1/30/08, and if we reach 24 members before then we'll close up shop and start swapping.  That will push sendouts back to 2/29/08.  If we close signups early I will adjust sendouts accordingly.

I'd like to hear what you all think before I make the change.  Will that work for y'all?

In the meantime, feel free to sign up (noting the caveat about not going over your swap limit of 5, or 1 if this is you first time), and I will review and approve swappers at a nice leisurely pace 'til we reach our goal or our end date.  Capiche?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008 10:01:50 AM »

meh.  i'm down for whenever, and i plan on doing only one swap (this one) in the foreseeable future, so... i'll just sign up now and look forward to getting a partner whenever it happens. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Tea Wallet
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Personalized Pet Collar
Wild Animals on Your Tree

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...