A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Big Zig Baby Quilt  (Read 2378 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaolin
« on: December 31, 2007 04:00:46 PM »

I've read a lot about quilting, and love seeing everyone's lovely quilts here, but I had never made one myself.  So, for my first quilt, I decided to go with something simple and doable:  a baby quilt.  It's for my friend's baby shower this weekend; I hope she likes it.  The pattern is a scaled down version of "Big Zig" from Denise Schmidt Quilts.  Finished size:  36" x 45".  The quilting of the zig zags is by no means even, but I think it adds to the charm.  And there are no ripples/folds on the back!  (Well, there were a couple, but they were all near the edge, so I ripped them out and redid them.)  Advance apologies for the blurry pics and linty quilt.

Here's a closeup of the binding.  I didn't want to handsew anything, so I did a regular binding, then folded it over and stitched in the ditch to secure the other side:

Here's a look at the backing fabric; it matches the green zigzag on the front.  You can also see the stitches on the binding:

And just for kicks, here's my favorite part.  I love the little quilting stitches peeking out.

Let me know what you all think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007 04:16:22 PM »

::)Great job on your first adventure in quilting.  It is a terrific quilt, and a great example how simple can be very attractive. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007 04:19:38 PM »

It's lovely! It also reminds me of Charlie Brown's shirt!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
quilted
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007 04:39:35 PM »

What a great quilt! It sure doesn't look like any body's first  Wink The colors and quilting are just fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Try my free mobile health apps for the military community (and civilians too!): https://t2health.org/products/mobile-apps
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007 06:36:21 PM »

this is one well crafted quilt!! i really respect individuals who quilt!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007 07:57:43 PM »

It's lovely! It also reminds me of Charlie Brown's shirt!  Smiley

DITTO! That is exactly what I thought when I saw it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

msplow
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008 06:12:03 AM »

very neatly done
THIS ROCKS   Logged
space.case.sara
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008 12:45:01 PM »

i love your quilt! I was wondering if you could describe, in more detail, how you did the binding by machine...the last time I tried, it was a bloody disaster!  Tongue Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008 02:29:16 PM »

Cool!! Very nice work. I love that it's not baby-ish at all. Perfect shower gift!

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
kaolin
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008 03:49:39 PM »

Everyone, thank you so much on your compliments! 

this is one well crafted quilt!! i really respect individuals who quilt!!

Me, too!  Doing this quilt took a lot of my patience, and I only had to piece 4 rows!  I finally understand it now when people say that they don't like piecing triangles.  After I finished this quilt, I found an easier (and neater) way of piecing the zig-zag rows at the purl bee:  http://www.purlbee.com/zig-zag-quilt/.  To everyone out there who completes bed sized quilts, my hat goes off to you!  This one was only baby-sized, and I thought I was going to go crazy manipulating that thing in my sewing machine.

Cool!! Very nice work. I love that it's not baby-ish at all. Perfect shower gift!

QB

Thanks.  The parents are very hip people and they wear a lot of saturated colors like orange, navy, yellow, red, etc.  I tried to take that into consideration when I picked the colors and the style of the quilt.

i love your quilt! I was wondering if you could describe, in more detail, how you did the binding by machine...the last time I tried, it was a bloody disaster!  Tongue Thanks!

I like the way that traditional machine-sew-then-fold-over-and-hand-sew binding looks, so I used these directions:

http://heatherbailey.typepad.com/photos/continuous_quiltbinding/index.html

and these directions:

http://www.expertvillage.com/videos/quilting-binding-instructions.htm

but with a couple of changes.  I cut my strips on grain, 4" selvage to selvage.  Then I sewed them all together and pressed the seam allowances open.  Then I pressed the new strip in half lengthwise, which gave me a long 2" strip.  I sewed it to the quilt using my walking foot (my new best quilting friend!) and a 1/2" seam allowance, because 1/4" seemed way too thin and scary for me.  Then I pressed, folded the binding over to the other side, and pressed and pressed and pressed again.  Because the binding was 2" wide to start with, there is enough to cover the original stitching.  This is the point where regular instructions tell you to slip stitch the binding to the back of the quilt, but I hate hand sewing, I'm bad at it, and I needed to finish this quilt by Friday, so instead, I did it by machine.  I used my stitch-in-the-ditch foot (otherwise known as an edge-joining foot and my other new best quilting friend!) and stitched in the ditch from the front, feeling my way underneath to make sure that the stitching caught the binding on the other side.  I went really slow and it all turned out okay.  Thank goodness, because after ripping out and requilting all my ripples, I was ready to be done with it. 

Hope those instructions help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Sunset Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Sports Pictures
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Product Photography
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Portraits
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for People-In-Landscapes Scenes
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...