A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boxy purse with tutorial and lots of pics!  (Read 13202 times)
Tags for this thread: purse , tutorial , placemat , jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nefertari

Egyptomaniac ... that's me

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2007 11:21:41 AM »

This is actually made out of a 2 placemats I found for $1 each at Army & Navy, but I ripped out all the stitching and used it as a regular piece of fabric. That's why it's here and not in the reconstructed area. The lining is just some scraps of broadcloth that I had in my stash. I took the buckle things from an old purse I had. So, altogether, pretty cheap project! The most expensive parts were the magnetic snaps I got on Ebay. I was so excited to try them, and I am pretty happy with how they turned out. Yay! I have 4 more pairs to experiment with!

Finished product:

Without the strap added

Hanging on my door

Inside

I was so excited to try out the magnetic snaps I got on Ebay, and I am pretty happy with how they turned out. Yay! I have 4 more pairs to experiment with!

Tutorial

This is actually a really easy purse to make (because there's no darn zipper!), following the basic Jordy construction (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=32204.0). The main twist is that the flap, bottom, and front are all one continuous piece. Hard to explain, but just follow the pics.

Starting with my placemat, but you can use any fabric you like.

Then cut a shape like this, and one for the lining as well.

I used the squares on my fabric as a guide, but you can use whatever measurements you like. Just make sure to add seam allowance (I used 1/2"). NOTE: Make sure you add seam allowance for the side seams too ... or your boxy bottom won't work properly. Normally with a Jordy bag you would use 2 pieces of fabric for the boxy shape, thus ending up with a seam on the bottom of the bag. But for this one there will be no bottom seam because we're going to fold it instead. Hopefully this isn't too confusing. Just let me know if I need to clarify this point.

**Edit**
I made a pdf to show how to draw out the finished dimensions and add the seam allowance. Hopefully this helps clarify things: Boxy Purse PDF. Note: this pdf is not to scale, it's at about 55%.

Once you cut out the shapes from the outer fabric and lining fabric, you may want to add interfacing for stiffness. I used iron-on interfacing on the outer fabric. Also, if you are using the magnetic snaps, add a square of interfacing to the liner piece where the snap will be attached.

Now attach the snaps! You will need to take some measurements to figure out exactly where they will go. Just make sure you do this before you start sewing things together.

Starting with the outer piece, fold up the bottom (right sides together) and sew the side seams. Press the seams. Then pinch the bottom corners as with the Jordy bag and sew those seams as well.

Do the same with the lining, except don't sew one of the corners. You need to leave a hole there so you can turn the whole thing inside out. Also, if you want to add a divider like I did, do it in this step ... include it in the side seams of the lining. The divider makes it a little trickier to sew the outer piece and lining together, but just work carefully and you'll be fine.
**Edit** Should have seen this earlier ... http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=182493.0 ... I wish I had done a zippered divider!!

Now is the time to get your strap ends basted in. This is how I did mine. I just sewed them on to the outer piece inside the seam allowance.

Now tuck the lining into the outer piece, right sides together, and pin.

And sew! Then cut the flap corners and clip the inside corner (where the pink dotted lines are).

Now you can turn it inside out from that hole you left in the lining. Then fold in the raw edges of that hole and sew it shut, just like the Jordy.

Voila!

And then press it and it will look even better.
**Edit** Also, topstitch all around the flap and top edge. Forgot that part!

Comments are welcome! If you give this a try, please post a picture here for us to see!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008 09:35:02 AM by nefertari » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My flickr photos
BettyBravo
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007 11:27:55 AM »

Looks great!!! I love the placemat you used! Keep craftin my friend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you've lost your ticket to paradise, make sure you have money for the bus" -Pokey Lafarge
pharmgirl
Handmaker of all things!

I like makin' stuff. :)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007 11:32:27 AM »

Wow, this is genius.  You did a great job.  I will definitely try one of these.  Thanks for the tutorial.  This definitely rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
Gamerchick1
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007 11:36:51 AM »

I absolutely love that shape, I can't wait to try one of these tonight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamaedgar
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007 11:39:00 AM »

this is great! i've ben wanting to start a similar project and now i have a guide!!  thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007 11:47:01 AM »

I love your purse - it is a great twist on the jordy bag - I have been eyeing those magnetic snaps with suspicion, so I may have to give them a whirl.  Thanks for the tute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007 12:09:12 PM »

Very Pretty!! I will have to make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_domanie
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007 12:32:10 PM »

That is so adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007 01:03:08 PM »

This is great!! It's about time I made myself a new bag- so thanks for the tutorial! I will definitely use this one and luckily for me I already have the materials on hand! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
Padester
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007 01:09:12 PM »

I LOVE this!  Thanks for the Tutorial!  I have a couple of placemats I have been trying to decide how to use, and now I know what I'm going to do with them.  How cool! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Caudalie: The Love Story Behind the Beauty Brand
The One Recipe You Need to Mend Split Ends and Dry, Flaky Skin
Tips For Straight Hair and Skincare Routines
How To Put On Fake Eyelashes Like A Pro
Your Go-to Skin Care Regimen: A Step-by-Step Guide to Clear Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...