A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,022
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2008 Color Craft-A-Long  (Read 38029 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: December 14, 2008 04:17:24 PM »

I love your pearl stars Laughinglark! Do you have a pattern for them that you could share?
Those pictures are too cool! My girlfriend bought a piece of that stuff but I never figured out how to use it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
LaughingLark
« Reply #451 on: December 14, 2008 04:55:26 PM »

Thanks, kaleesi! I kind of make the stars up as I go along, but I might be able to make a tut later on. Meanwhile, the links in my post at the bottom of one page back of this thread are full of general guidelines for the stars. Right now I am stashbusting through some of my beads. You can use whatever you have, beadwise, to make these.

You can make them with as many points as you like. I use florist's wire (the kind walmart sells on the flat paddles for 1.46. I prefer the silver color.) Cut the wire much longer than you think you'll need it to be. You can always trim away the extra. You can wind in more wire to keep going but it's a bit of a pain. The wire is dead cheap so don't worry about wasting it.  Smiley

You can use any thin, inexpensive wire. I like 26 ga, but thinner wires will work, you just may have to reshape your stars a bit when you take them out of storage for next year. I would not try this with wire heavier than 26 ga. florist. Swearing and broken beads ensue. Cheesy

I'll try to find even more links later on tonight, if my kids settle down. We have a storm coming with a sudden drop in temperature. My kids are always natural barometers, and bounce off the walls with extreme weather changes. It was 68F a few hours ago; now it is in the teens...brrrr! I'm bouncing off the walls, too. At least I know where they get it from... Cheesy

The lenticular papers are actully super-thick stickers for making greeting cards. We are pretending they are not stickers, leaving the heavy backing on them, and making ornaments instead. We will also be making some of them into fridge magnets. I got a ton of stuff in my 5.49 box of paper. Even with the $10+ for shipping in a flat rate box, it was a great bargain for all the fun. We have tons for Valentine's day, too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 14, 2008 06:16:10 PM »

Thanks LaughingLark - I appreciate it Smiley
68 to the teens? That's horrible!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God is big enough.....
LaughingLark
« Reply #453 on: December 15, 2008 03:26:30 AM »

Here are some beaded stars I made last night for the younger two kids to put on the tree when they wake up this morning. The big beads are purple, which is not a holiday color, but my oldest boy opined that you can't make purple without red.  Grin The flash distorted the color of the big beads a bit.

Again, I used the florist's  wire for these. After finishing the stars, I decided to make a separate beaded wire loop for hanging them. They need to be super-easy to get on the tree, because one of my little guys is only two. The beaded loop is stiff and easy for little hands to hook it onto a branch, and it becomes part of the design, too, which is fun.

These were done with e-beads and some big (I dunno---12 or 14 mm?) faceted glass beads. Those bowls of beads in the pic are beadspinners. I love them for any repetitive stringing jobs. Just dip your wire in the beads and spin. Centrifugal force pushes the beads onto the wire, and I just push off the extra beads I don't need. I also do french beaded flowers. Beadspinners are almost essential for that. The average flower takes a whole (craft-store sized) package or tube of seed beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 15, 2008 04:02:49 AM »

I love these two LaughingLark - and it sounds like your boy is a Crafster in the making!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God is big enough.....
cindy065
« Reply #455 on: December 15, 2008 04:18:03 AM »

thank you so much !i love these >i love that your grandma taught you .have a very merry holiday
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldfishpollywog
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #456 on: December 15, 2008 05:48:02 PM »

Beautiful stars, the beaded hanger is a stroke of genius! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
malgudi

a puppy is but a dog, + high spirits - commonsense

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 16, 2008 03:04:26 AM »

LaughingLark, the beaded stars are very pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #458 on: January 01, 2009 08:45:06 AM »

Happy new year, everyone! Do you think we can do another round of this? It is always fun when these threads leap to life. I'll try to be a better participant this time, if we make a new thread. 2008 was an unusually busy year for me. I have more time and way less money this year, so I'll be crafting a lot.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marmota-b

Tove Jansson's ghost was the first craftster...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: January 01, 2009 02:18:27 PM »

Another vote for continuing in the tradition in this year! I can't promise to really be a better participant, but I'll try...

And happy new year, everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://marmota-b.blogspot.com

And my original Czech blog, nowadays updated VERY occasionally...
http://marmota-b.blog.cz
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
High Resolution Photography Part 1
Bowens Lighting
Printing Photographs
How to Buy a Bridge Camera
Photography Devices News
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...