A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fit -- vintage vs. modern patterns  (Read 1068 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

No_Aloha

I am the faerie queene!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2007 08:17:19 AM »

Someone please explain to me what the deal is!   Cheesy

I have begun in the last year to sew from vintage 50's-early 70's patterns (skirts, shirts, dresses, coats, etc..), and I have found that hands down, they fit better than modern patterns.  Mind you, I have a weird body (don't we all?): I'm short, have a short torso, long legs, thicker waist (comparatively), narrow hips, lack a bum of any consequence, have broad shoulders, narrow chest, and DD boobs.  Yet, I wrangle less with old patterns.  It's fantastic, yet inexplicable to me.  I can even make a fitted dress, which I could *never* do with modern patterns (at least the ones I'd tried).  So, my question is has there been a marked change in pattern drafting over the last 30 years or so?     

I know some of you must have researched the pattern industry...if not I have a new quest!  Maybe this is all fluke.  Who knows.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mystico_tala
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007 01:19:41 PM »

I enjoy vintage patterns more also Smiley  The styles were just more flattering!  I haven't actually noticed, but maybe they have less ease worked into the patterns so there isn't a lot of extra room.  The measurements are sometimes more hourglass-ey than modern patterns, both of which would make them fit better.
But, that is all speculation.  I don't have much experience with newer patterns, I work with mostly vintage Smiley  I really think the styles have something to do with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
turtletrbl
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007 04:33:33 PM »

I have only really sewn with modern patterns, but I've heard other people have this discussion and two things come to mind:

1) vintage patterns are more fitted -- they're designed to be closer to the body, probably more similar to what we'd expect from ready-to-wear.  Modern sportswear patterns have a HUGE amount of ease, which explains why I can wear anywhere from a size 8 to a size 12 depending on the pattern.  I keep having to remove wearing ease.

2)  you say you are short with a short torso; well, women used to be much smaller (not necessarily less round -- just smaller) so if you are a petite proportion, vintage patterns would probably fit you better. 

Just an idea....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellyhelene
I'd claim it was my magnetic personality, but really, that's just the steel.

you'll put your eye out

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007 01:00:24 PM »

Keep in mind, with 50s patterns at least, what the average woman wore back then.  Hardcore, super-structured bras and girdles.  That alone will throw off the ease when compared to someone wearing just undies and a no-wire bra.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sgr8hse
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007 11:29:43 AM »

I find the fit of vintage patterns more flattering than modern ones. My theory ~ vintage pattern usually contains one size therefore more tailored to that particular size. I think the multi size patterns has to accomodate the various sizes thus making you (the sewer) adjust accordingly. I'm a advanced beginner and find vintage patterns are just easier.  again, must my little ol' theory.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cookie Dough Dip
How to Make Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Crumble Topping
Stress-Free Holiday Desserts
How to Make a Caramel Apple Sundae in an Apple Bowl
Glamorous Gingerbread Cupcakes for the Holidays
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...