A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,062
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: book safe. (image chubby)  (Read 2057 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaishabackwards
I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics.

My eyes are nothing like the sun.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 30, 2007 11:44:46 PM »

I made this for a friend for Christmas.

At first glance it looks like an ordinary book:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff225/kaishabackwards/crafty%20things/1230070755.jpg

but it's NOT!
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff225/kaishabackwards/crafty%20things/1230070756.jpg

Action shot, the action of an inanimate object holding other inanimate objects... yeah...
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff225/kaishabackwards/crafty%20things/1230070758.jpg

This is made from a book I found at the Salvation Army for .50 cents, some cheap velvety fabric, Elmer's glue and a glue gun. 

Sorry about the poor picture quality.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011 08:45:28 PM by LimeRiot - Reason: converted broken images to links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeagleMommy
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007 05:12:49 AM »

Nifty. I did that when I was a kid and felt the need to hide things from the sister with whom I shared a room. Didn't look anywhere near that nice. The velvet is especially cool.
Did the friend like it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tatobuggy7
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007 04:47:18 PM »

I just made one of these too. I didn't put any felt in it though.... that's a nice touch. I may have to use that idea.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

thanate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

wanting to do everything is *no excuse* for not doing anything.

crafty alchemist (now, with tea!)

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008 05:03:39 PM »

Very nicely done; I like the velvet lining.

How did you cut out the insides of the pages?  I did a hollow book in high school, and mainly remember spending a really long time chopping up pages with an exacto knife and having sore fingers afterwards.  Which, come to think of it, may be why I've never done another one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008 07:58:46 PM »

I really like that. I've been thinking about making one, for being a cool kid's sake, but it seems like it would be very tedious. Tell me I'm wrong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
kaishabackwards
I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008 10:07:25 PM »

it seems like it would be very tedious. Tell me I'm wrong?

Sorry, no can do, this took me forever and I'm working on one right now that is 3 times as thick and it makes me want to tear out my own hair.  I'm told that it goes much faster with a dremel tool and so Im thinking of investing in one but I don't know for sure, sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lil-pink-mudd-bugg
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008 06:59:12 AM »

I was going to do one of these for my neice for Christmas. I found the perfect book for twenty-five cents at the thrift store. Got home and broke out the exacto knife. What I ended up with was a blister on my finger and some uneven pages, which I figured I could fix. Then came my mistake...I started gluing the pages together...yep, a big ripply mess.   Cry   It's noe sitting on the table waiting for the how to fix it inspiration to hit.

how did you keep the pages together or did they stay when you put the lining in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008 07:26:50 AM »

i've also heard a dremel makes this go faster, with the added bonus of evening out the pages.  when i did one of these, i stuck the pages together with regular old glue... what're yours done with?  does the velvet add much bulk to the book?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
kaishabackwards

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008 07:54:52 AM »

how did you keep the pages together or did they stay when you put the lining in.

I used normal Elmer's glue but also closed it and weighted it down so that it wouldn't warp like that and I painted the outside and inside edges with glue.  dig?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaishabackwards

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008 08:05:24 AM »

i've also heard a dremel makes this go faster, with the added bonus of evening out the pages.  when i did one of these, i stuck the pages together with regular old glue... what're yours done with?  does the velvet add much bulk to the book?

I just bought a dremel and I LOVE it.  It is so much easier! And the pages are smooth I dont even need to add the lining on this one.  I just used Regular Elmers glue but I weighted it down so that it didn't warp.  And the velvet doesnt add almost any bulk.  You really can just put it on the shelf with all the other books and it looks normal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crimp Beads
How to Make a Beaded Lanyard
How to Use a Beading Board
How to Make Fimo Beads
How to String Beads
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...