A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,907
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chart Keeper! Yay!  (Read 2720 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

speakeasy
« on: December 30, 2007 07:05:58 PM »

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I made it for knitters so I thought you all would enjoy this.

I was scanning this knitting catalog when I came across this magnetic binder that was for charts and patterns. It was a little plain so I decided to try and make one my self for my mom for her birthday. The one out of the catalog looked more like a small black binder without the rings.

I am quite pleased with how it turned out. I used a plastic sheet (from the scrap booking section), two magnetic sheets, lots and lots of mog-podge, and decorative paper (also from the scrap booking section).

Here is what I got in the end (sorry about the bad photos):

I used one magnetic sheet for the inside of the keeper then the other for the magnets to hold up the chart. The long pink magnet is made to keep your place on which row of the chart you are on (that idea is from the one from the catalog). To make the shape of the keeper I just bent the plastic sheet in three different places so there was two equal sized rectangles and one smaller one.Then I bent each crease back and forth a few times so it was not so stiff. When I covered them I cut the paper into the three sections instead of just covering it in one step and not cutting the paper. I did not want paper on the creases,  I was afraid it would bunch or would not let the mog-podge sit right. I was thinking of adding some velcro to the smallest flap so you could latch it closed, but then decided against it.

Its kinda hard to see from these photos, but the smallest flap (the little flap in front that keeps it closed) is bent down out of sight, but you could always bend it up in front of the chart (it will not block anything) and use it to keep a pen or some needles.

I also made one for myself, but I like my mom's better. Mine is the red one and my mom's is the blue one.

I wanted them a little bigger (completely open they are a little bigger than the size of regular paper), but I am still happy with the results.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007 11:33:47 AM by speakeasy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss_westenra
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007 07:27:35 PM »

Those are fabulously cute AND practical! Love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My alarm clock still holds a grudge from the time I threw it at the wall

I etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=14762
I wist: http://www.wists.com/NaphthalineRiver
I blog: http://tinaisnoacronym.blogspot.com/
I am down for personal swaps!
cherry blossom

nice head...i think i'll take it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007 09:17:33 PM »

what a neat idea!  i've seen the pattern helpers and i think they're pretty ugly, but yours are gorgeous!  i might have to make some for myself. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneknitpony
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007 10:20:41 PM »

*bookmarks*

This is a very clever idea! Beautiful results, too Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shan
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007 01:07:30 AM »

Fabulous and clever idea. Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused. - annonymous
gannon
Those who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person doing it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007 11:24:36 AM »

I really like this.  My secret pal at work will be getting something similar soon -- thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can read this, thank a teacher! 

Visit my blog :  http://clayplaycafe.blogspot.com
speakeasy
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007 11:31:26 AM »

Cheesy  Thanks for all your great comments! They really are quite easy to make. My only problem was the size. They are not really small, but I wish I could find something bigger (as in some bigger plastic board) to make them out of. Any  ideas? I could not find anything bigger than what I made them out of. Hmmm maybe if I shopped online for something bigger.

Anyway thanks again for your comments! Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Put Together a Shopping Outfit
How to Customize Your Shorts with a Floral Pattern
Gran Larceny: Fashion Goes Grandma
Chanel Unveils Cruise Collection With Cara Delevingne
Swimwear to Suit Your Body
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...