A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: double knit sweater ??'s  (Read 334 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mooshie
« on: January 02, 2008 09:28:45 AM »

I used a store bought sweater that my DD already has to get the right size for the one I made her for christmas, and upon further inspection I noticed that where the color work was there were not ugly threads hanging out on the back. it looked just like the front, only the pattern didn't look like it did on the front.  so then of corse I had to anylize it further to see if it was really double knit, because that just seemed crazy to me.  but upon further inspection it truely was double knit, and it was a very light weight yarn, so doubling the color work section really didn't make it too heavy or anything.  then I got to looking at the back of my color work, and it's kinda ugly on the back. 

so I'm wondering if it would make sence to double knit the color work on sweaters to make them look nicer on the back, and to prevent fingers getting caught in the strands carried across the back?  I of course wouldn't be using sock weight yarn as this sweater was made from though, I would be using worsted weight for sweaters that I hand knit.  would this just be too heavy for a sweater? 

I'd love to get your input on this idea.  has anyone ever tried this? 

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenoftroy
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008 09:43:25 AM »

i've made a double knit vest.. (worsted weight)(see below)

in fine wool, it would be less bulky, and less warm (one reason i made a vest rather than a sweater was my concerns about bulk and warth)

but in fine yarns, its a lot more knitting! i suggest you do some double knitting before taking on a big project--

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooshie
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008 09:52:34 AM »

wow! that's a lot of double knitting!  I was thinking to do it on just the stipe of color that this sweater had.  but your vest looks great!

so, it would be ok to do some double knitting on a sweater?
thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenoftroy
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008 11:39:05 AM »

yep,

recently --(creative knitting? knit N Style?(think it was creative knitting) (winter issue/most recent issue)  had a hat/mitten/scarf..

the scarf is mostly garter, with a fair isle star/snowflake motif at the ends (the hat is similar) the fair isle part is done in round (not double knit, but it could be!) and the rest of scarf is single knit.

you could adapt the pattern to double knitting, (the scarf pattern) and 'do a practice piece...

or you could just go for broke and do a double knit section on sweater!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Are Skin Products Doing More Harm Than Good?
A Lip Balm You Can Apply One-Handed
How to Make DIY Beauty Products
How to Do Light Eye Makeup
How to Do Purple Eye Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...