A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,808
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Keeping pets out of yarn?  (Read 809 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: December 30, 2007 05:16:41 PM »

Alright, here's my delimma. My dog gets in to EVERYTHING.
She's a German Shepherd and I don't really have anything she can't gnaw through.

To date she's destroyed 3 rubbermaid tubs to get at my yarn.

I came downstairs to my room today to find my yarn splurge (alpaca, soy, cashmere, and bamboo yarn) strewn across the floor cause she tore through what I had it in and got at it.

So, aside from stashing it somewhere, which has obviously failed, how can I keep my dog out of my yarn?Huh
Spinstress Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007 05:53:34 PM »

My mother had a dog that was a chewer. She bought this spray from a pet supply store called  Bitter Apple. You spray it on the object and it's supposed to make it taste horrible. I don't know how it would work for German Shepherds, but it worked on teacup poodles,lol. HTH!

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007 07:22:48 PM »

I've tried that stuff, it doesn't faze her, lol.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007 10:24:53 PM »

Metal?  I know they sell footlocker-like drawers and storage types of things.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007 10:37:37 PM »

I think you need a dog trainer, not a craftster.   Wink  In the meantime, I agree that metal (or maybe solid wood) is what you need while you can see if the dog can be retrained.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007 01:12:36 AM »

She needs exercise. Lots and lots of exercise. I also suggest watching the Dog Whisperer on National Geographic channel. It has some great dog training tips (well, he says he trains people and rehabilitates dogs, whatever).  Wink Other than that, I would keep your stash in a closet or designate a room in the house which she isn't allowed into.

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007 06:30:18 AM »

There HAS to be a place in your house that the dog can't get into. Other than that, I agree that your dog needs exercise and training.

Lindsey goes to eleven
"I am that cordless screwdriver that has to charge for twenty hours to earn ten minutes use. I need that much downtime."

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007 07:24:20 AM »

I can relate...

You need to teach her what is and is not OK to chew.  Bully sticks, bones, Kong toys, etc. are all OK...yarn stash is not.  Make sure she has plenty of good chew toys around to gnaw on.  Of course, to teach her, you have to catch her in the act...when you see her chewing on something she's not supposed to, take what she's chewing away and switch it with something that's OK...she'll associate the chewing with the toy you give...

How old is she?  If she's a puppy, she's teething and will chew anything and everything.  If she's an adult, she could very easily be chewing out of boredom.

Then, as others suggested, maybe switch to a metal container.  You could try one of those metal drawer filing cabinets used at offices.  Or, you could keep the yarn tub in a closet or drawer, or up high where your dog can't reach. (With me that's easy...my Poms can't even jump on my couch...I imagine the top of the refrigerator is more appropriate for a German Shepherd, LOL!)

Good luck...

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007 10:00:41 PM »

Metal or hard plastic sounds good, just make it anything she can't open (either by pushing the lid off, or by chewing through part of it) AND keep it out of reach. Like in a cupboard or attic, on top of a bookshelf. I also believe that dogs hate pepper - irritates their noses? Maybe you could put some ground pepper on the top of the container after you have put it away? Or keep most of it in your car? Drawers in a desk?

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008 04:15:57 PM »

OMG Lindsay, that looks like my den after I got back from vacation, except replace your dog with my 13 pound white longhaired cat who is lounging on the couch looking quite pleased with himself because mama forgot to put the yarn baskets in another room. 

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Writing the Script
Post Production: Telecine
Auditions and Casting for a Film
Post Production: Editing, Music and Visual Effects
How to Make Zombie Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...