A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Itching to garden-favorite seed catalogs?  (Read 2033 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 30, 2007 04:54:09 PM »

Now that the holiday season is out of the way-nearly-is anyone else getting antsy for spring?? I am trying to start an even higher percentage of my garden from seed this year. It saves money,environment (not so many plastic containers ansd trucks dragging plants all around the country) and it really is such a cool feeling to see something you planted from a tiny seed become a flower or food Smiley I also like the varieties you can start.
So-are there any fave catalogs you want to talk about? I use Nichols and Johnny's along with the regulars like Burpees.
I'll be setting up lights in the basement and then hopefully transferring them to cold frames and a straw bale /glasshouse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007 11:09:49 AM »

www.cooksgarden.com is my favorite to flip through; I haven't bought anything yet, though.
Hey, When are you going to start the Garden Through the Seasons 2008 thread??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007 12:08:25 PM »

Since my garden is completely under snow...hmmm...maybe I'll take pics of that!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007 11:56:42 PM »

I don't start thinking about it until after the renewal information comes from the community gardens.  I buy a lot of seeds from an asian specialty catalog, http://evergreenseeds.com/.  I'm only going to do one or two early seeds this year - snow pea shoots and maybe an early mustard. Everything else needs to wait until at least May if not June.  Starting seedlings indoors has never worked well for me - direct seeding has been much better, but is difficult before the water comes on in April, and needs cover until the end of May (or later).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008 12:10:13 PM »

It's funny, but I got the Cook's Garden catalog yesterday!!! I'm marking it up with a wish list.
I guess I just like to start seeds early because it means my hands are in soil again. Cheesy And I love all of the different tomato varities that you can't usually find in the plant stores  Smiley
I'm going to set up a real light system this year with a hanging shop light.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008 01:56:58 PM »

I'm having a hard time waiting for planting time.  This is my first year owning my house, and I've got newbie fever.  It's so nice to not have to put everything in pots.  I've already got my garlic going strong, but it's too cold for much yet.

I'm going to order from seeds of change this year.  I'll look into some of those other places.  I have a Burpee catalog too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008 07:43:34 PM »

Got my garden plot all measured out, I just need to get some topsoil mixed in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mariposaluna
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008 09:02:45 PM »

This year I've just bought some seeds from the hardware store. It'll be our first time starting tomatoes from seeds. I'm really excited about it!

Its been a couple years since we've planted anything. My husband just did the first tilling of the first plot we started about 4 years ago and he said it looked really good. So hopefully next weekend we can plant peas and onions. I've just started my tomatoes, which I should have started around the 1st, but its still a bit of an early start.

Normally we get our seeds from seed savers exchange http://www.seedsavers.org/ but we didn't plan ahead very well this year. I may get some squash seeds from them later. Their catalog is so beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be blessed with inspiration,
Mariposa de la Luna

My pictures
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showgallery.php?ppuser=110165&cat=500
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008 04:17:52 AM »

I order a bit from Park Seed.  Give them a call and get on their catalog list...

Longelegantlegs - Are you going to remove the grass before you start?  I need to go outside (once it is warm enough to sit on the ground..) and remove grass before I get someone to rototill for me.  I did buy a Mantis last year but it really is rough on the arms.  I don't care what they say in the video it is a killer and I can't get it to start on my own so my husband is going to have to do the tilling.... yeah, right!  That will take A LOT of  bribing I am sure!
The grass is a bugger to till under and there is always snippets of roots left so I just remove the grass ahead of time - you can chuck the grass in to a compost pile or something.

But anyway.  I like Park Seed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008 09:19:53 AM »

My garden is several small plots-mostly raised. That way I just dig them (or rather, kindly ask the DH to dig them) and then use my teeny tiller. I kill off grass by smothering it with newspaper and straw in the winter. There are new theories of no-till gardens now-once it's been dug once they say it's best for it to not be disturbed.
http://www.dacres.org/No-Till%20Garden.htm
I hope to start my seeds soon...soon Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Export and Share Images
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Develop a Module
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Rate and Sort Images
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Import Images
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Use Adobe Lightroom
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...