A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Itching to garden-favorite seed catalogs?  (Read 2065 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008 11:32:07 AM »

I order a bit from Park Seed.  Give them a call and get on their catalog list...

Longelegantlegs - Are you going to remove the grass before you start? 

Yeah, we dug up the soil a few weeks ago and covered it with some old carpet to kill the grass; I'm going to put a few inches of store bought dirt on top, and probably start planting at the end of February. I'm so excited!
I also found a neat nursery: www.raintreenursery .com
I think I'm going to get some of their SharpBlue blueberries this year, to border the sidewalk. It would be cool if people could walk by and grab a handful of berries; no better advertisement for edible landscapes, imo.  Grin

Speaking of which, does anyone here have experience with 'guerrilla gardening'?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008 12:41:22 PM »

Oh, I love that idea of guerrilla gardening. I think that it is bigger in England than the U.S. I have made seed bombs in the past-out of dirt and flower seeds- and thrown them along highway areas, but I think that this will give me the impetus to do more. We have all of these supposed "greenways" along the bike paths here with little dying trees. I can visualise tall sunflowers... Smiley Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008 02:43:12 PM »

My big New Years resolution is to start a troop...I live in downtown San Antonio, and even with the hot summers, it could be so much prettier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008 10:16:43 PM »

I went to the store today and found a pot of nine Buttercrunch lettuces, and and another of baby spinach; I put one of each in a little pot on the window sill, because I don't like having normal houseplants.  Grin

So anyway, here's my garden:

Then, of course, I had to go to the garden center, just to look, I swear, and I got some basil and chives and some cilantro seeds, some watercress, etc etc...

Y'all know how it goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rubytue
who could hang a name on me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008 05:19:25 PM »

This is my first year with a *real* garden.  I'm so excited!  And so nervous I'm going to overdo it.  We went from a 15x20' townhouse backyard (where we had a raised bin for a couple tomatoes and peppers) to a 3/4 acre lot!  Last August, we blocked off a 32'x24' garden bed and covered the grass with free compost from our landfill plus shredded leaves from our yard.  I'm going to go read that no-till garden link, as we were planning on tilling the whole thing come spring, but perhaps we don't need to.

As for seed catalogs, I am ordering from http://www.southernexposure.com/.  They do organics, heirlooms, and stuff meant for the mid-atlantic region.  I'm hoping this can get us started on the right foot.

I need help LOL  Can I ask some questions here, or should I start a new thread?   Mainly, if I am looking at an early- to mid-May last frost, when should I be starting my tomato seeds?  And will I have better luck starting peppers from seed about the same time?  In the townhouse garden, we bought some pepper plants and then some peppers came up from our compost (obviously it wasn't hot enough).  Both types of plants seemed to do fine, so does it matter?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loireag
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008 01:24:37 AM »

Territorial Seed Company - lots of veggies and herbs, flowers too.
Johnny's Selected Seeds - very good selection of the more common and some unusual herbs, lots of veggies and flowers -I've had good luck with their seeds.
Horizon Herbs - fabulous selection of medicinal seeds and plants.
Richters - (this one is in Canada) good selection of herbs veggies etc.

Thats the list of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet. Aside from companies like Henry Fields or Michigan Bulb which can be iffy on quality in my experience (but their coupons sometimes make up for it)

Here's a good resource for seed and nursery sites lists all sorts of stuff. Lots of sites that I'd never heard of with nifty things available.
http://www.forkandbottle.com/garden/seeds/seedsource.htm

And one more cause I can't seem to shut up. Its called Garden Watchdog its a site that lets people rate their experiences with mail order and online seed and plant businesses, can be very helpful when your not sure about the quality or service you'd get from a place. Also good if your looking for something specific and want to find a reputable seller. In case you haven't seen it before. The rest of the site is really good too, I usually go there first when I'm looking for info on a specific plant
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/

THIS ROCKS   Logged
naturalcreation
Love and respect for all of God's critters :)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008 04:03:00 AM »

Loireag, you posted it first... sigh! hehe! I was going to put the Dave's Garden aka Garden Watchdog link on here. It is THE directory for web shopping for anything garden-related.
I have found more great plant sources from their pages then any other method.
I like the feedback thing too, where people can post long-winded, honest and detailed praise / critiques, not just "great seller, fast shipping, A+". LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008 07:39:27 PM »

Thanks for that garden watchdog site-it verifies a lot of my feelings about catalogs I've used. It's warm here this week, so I've been out in the garden meditating where I will rotate various plants this year. I've been not feeling so well, so it's wonderful to get out and in touch with the dirt again!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
diycrafter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008 09:36:52 PM »

I guess I'll still be buying seeds from the companies I've used since I was a kid http://gurneys.com/ and http://www.burpee.com/. I could not imagine a year without a vegetable garden and flowering plants!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008 04:38:41 AM »

I just planted 8 flats of seeds... and ran out of portable greenhouse space to plant the rest..  I need another portable greenhouse!!!

My pond has little water lily leaves coming up and some of the grasses are coming up green in there as well...  spring is right around the corner here!

A friend of mine is going to lend me her big rototiller so I can dig up a new garden for the spring.. not this weekend though.  I got too much going on!

I planted seeds from Parks.  I was a little bummed though - my green wizard seeds were a bit on the sparse side - I was suppose to have 20 but there were only 12  Cry  The rest seemed to be okay I suppose... can't tell with those tiny ones.. just sprinkle them and hope for the best, right?

Oh and burpee and gurney are NOT what you remember. They were taken over by that big horrid company that does Michigan Bulb company and a bunch of the other ones.  I would say shop at Home Depot and Walmart for your common ones and then look to a different company - you will not be happy with what you get if you plant from G or B...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Kool Aid Lip Stain
Tips From Celebs On Aging Gracefully
How To Highlight And Contour With Creams And Powders
Best Of Oily Skin And Summer Hair Trends
How To Break Up With Someone - Sexy Times With Gurl
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...