A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Home for garden visitors  (Read 726 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mystico_tala
« on: August 16, 2007 12:20:52 PM »

So, I have some fuzzy little visitors in my 3rd floor balcony garden.  No, not mammals  Cheesy

(Do caterpillars have eyes?  I hope I didn't blind them with the flash...)

You may be able to see it, but I just found these critters a few days ago and they have already started to make short work of my plants. 
My question to garden craftsters.  Do you have any idea how I could possibly go about making a little home for these guys?  Just some little cage type thing out on my balcony.  These kids aren't going to be jumping off my balcony any time soon, so it won't be like captivity, but I would love to keep them a little contained so my garden doesn't become all holey.  And I sort of want to watch them grow Smiley  I'd given them leaves and hopefully give them a little structure to climb around on.  Maybe buy a plant just for them in their little home.

What would you use to keep them contained?  Some sort of mesh to let the "Texas breeze" in so they don't fry.  Preferably something recycled, but I don't mind spending a bit of money on my new friends.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
trinashere
nerd and a half.

(witty comment goes here)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007 01:11:10 PM »

I think that they might be tent worms. They end up spinning web like tents in the y's of tree branches. We get them really bad around here every few years or so. They eat every leaf they can find! As far as keeping them in a habitat, you might be best off getting one of those little clear containers they give you when you buy a hermit crab and filling it up with greenery and sticks. But I've never kept caterpillars or tent worms as company before. : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The art of losing isn't hard to master; so many things seem filled with the intent to be lost that their loss is no disaster. ~ Elizabeth Bishop
mystico_tala
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007 02:07:30 PM »

Ee gads, an even better reason to lock them up!!  Yea, I was thinking that one of those cases would probably be my best bet/easiest way to go.  There is probably one in my parent's garage from when I was younger.  I'll have to see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
diycrafter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008 09:26:54 PM »

I can't see the picture for some reason, but if they are tent cats I'd keep them in a jar with some leaves and with maybe pantyhose over the top with a rubber band to keep them from going back to the wild. They'll do some serious damage to other trees and plants if let go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rachel Zoe: Achieving Personal Style
Rachel Zoe: Bio
Allure’s April 2014 Anti-Aging Issue
This Inspiring Video Shows That Makeup Has an Empowering Effect on Women
How to Get The Perfect Spray Tan at Home
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...