A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what color to paint kitchen??? (pics)  (Read 548 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Penguinofsorts

Crafts while studying.

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2007 02:49:12 PM »

So I spent days....DAYS stripping wallpaper from my kitchen.  It was way too 60 year old woman for my taste....but that stuff was stuck to the walls like nothing else...let me tell ya.  So we spackled today ( guess the reason they were papered in the first place is because they have random plaster gouges and lumps and unevenness....sigh...)  and I hope to sand the walls today or tomorrow and then prime and then paint...woohoo!!

Anyhow, I really want to make the kitchen colorful but I just can't afford to change the linoleum or countertops at this time...unfortunately the countertops are a terrible green color...not even forest green...they're more teal than that...seemingly very early 90s but I think they're a lot older than that...  (the house was born in the 1930s, and I'd kind of like to move the kitchen a bit back to that era!  Hopes for the future include replacing countertops (maybe go tile?), adding backspash tile, etc.

I'm not very good at envisioning interior design....especially with those stupid countertops and matching linoleum in my way, but I just really don't like any of the colors that the flooring ties in...

Here are some pics

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on colors that I could use now that might somehow go with the green countertops but won't limit me to the color palate of the flooring?

Sighh...I really have no idea

I have an overhead light with 5 bulbs, so the kitchen is pretty well lit, the appliances are white, sink is stainless steel and surrounding rooms are still white with wood flooring and darker wood doors and baseboards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This isn't Kansas, and I'm not wearing red shoes.
KarenLouiseM

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007 03:29:00 PM »

The only advice I have is to embrace the green.  Sounds crazy I know.  But, let me explain  Grin

My mom was stuck with avocado green appliances for years and tried everything to downplay their color.  White or beige walls just made them stand out even more.  After watching Christopher Lowell on TV she took his advice and just painted the kitchen green.  It was a prettier pale green (not avocado), but it was similar enough to the avocado that it didn't look wierd.

But, the thing is, Christopher Lowell was right - it was the best thing to make the appliances not look so hideous.  They did kind of fade into the rest of the room - like there was a reason for them to be that awful color.  Apparently that's his answer for any hideous color you're stuck with.  Make it look like you wanted that color there.  Anything else just makes it stand out.

On a bright note, your doorknobs are gorgeous Grin 

I can't wait to see what you come up with - the other things in your gallery are wonderful, so I'm sure you'll come up with something great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
M Fox
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007 08:00:40 PM »

Try www.behr.com.  You can search for the color that is closest to the green counters, then have the site suggest pallets based on whether you want cool or warm tones and whether you want the color as the dominant or accent.
Even if you don't have a store nearby that sells Behr paint, you can still get a good idea of what you might like in the kitchen - the site also lets you preview the colors in a sample room.

Warning - the site is very addicting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamilyn
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008 07:28:08 PM »

Oh man with that linoleum floor pattern, glass knobs to die for and your green counters....I'd say go with an art deco look! Not the modern look, but, rather old Hollywood cottage. The arched pass through over your sink makes me think of that. Stainless steel and black accents against the green.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HorrorCraft
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008 05:12:39 PM »

I <3 your hardware.

I swear my mother in law has those exact same counters and her house is just 10 years old.  She hates them, I hate them but I don't live there or I would have painted the counters and sealed them (I know people have posted their success stories on craftster).

And in your Mosiac you have a wonderful mauve/pinky/peachy (I have no clue what that color really is) that I think would look lovely on your walls.  It looks like it compliments well with green.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my spooky craft and decor blog====> http://horrorcraft.blogspot.com/
my not so spooky craft blog====> http://enduremyworld.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Your Hair With Hot Rollers
4 Spring Hair Looks by Oscar Blandi
Oscar Blandi on Hair Trends and Fashion
Music Festival Hair Inspiration and Tips
Style a Topknot Two Ways: Sleek Vs. Messy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...