A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: romance novel wallet with tutorial  (Read 1801 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raycheezy

Patches are my happiness and my hippyness.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 30, 2007 01:11:33 PM »

I've made several of these and posted them before, but here is my latest, with a tutorial.
If anyone actually uses it, or makes something similar to it, PLEASE send me pics Smiley I love seeing variations on ideas like this. Mine is a variation on a paperback wallet I saw.
        First you need 4 covers of romance paperbacks(thrift shops often have a bunch), some clear packaging tape, velcro, and a sewing machine with a heavyweight needle, I use denim. The normal ones break or mess up while you're trying to sew.
        You take the 4 covers

and choose two with small pictures. Cut a block from each that is 3 3/4 in. wide and 2 1/2 in. tall, centering on the picture.

These are the credit card slots. Take your wide packaging tape and neatly tape them together, and cover the front and back of the rectangle with tape, essentially laminating it. Trim the tape from the edges. Set that aside.

Now look at your two other covers. Choose the one you like the best, and set that aside. That will be the outside of your wallet. Take the cover you have left, and trim it so it is 3 in. tall and 7 1/2 in. wide. If the cover isn't that wide(it probably won't be), take two piece of ribbon and tape them to the sides. When I say ribbon, I mean plain ribbon used for wrapping presents. The stuff you find in the drug store.

Laminate the rectangle with the ribbon, and trim the excess ribbon and tape. Trim the ribbon so the rectangle is 7 1/2 inches wide. Set this aside

Take your last cover, and tape ribbon to the width.

Trim the edges of the ribbon, and laminate the rectangle.

Tape ribbon onto the length edges of the rectangle, and laminate them to the cover. I don't know how to say that so it makes sense. Basically, tape the ribbon to the unribboned edges and laminate the ribbons.

Now you take the 7 1/2 by 3 rectangle and the credit card slots( the 7 1/2 by 2 1/2 strip made of two pictures). Place the credit card slot rectangle on the other rectangle, lining up the bottom and side edges as best as you can. Sew a zig zag stitch on the line between the two pictures that make up the credit card slot using a heavy needle(denim).

take this rectangle and place it on the ugly side of the outside piece. Line up the bottom and side edges as well as you can again. You can try and pin it, but I've found it's really hard. The pins just bend.

Starting on the right side sew around the whole rectangle of the outer piece with a zigzag stitch.

Fold down the top edge of the outer piece and add velcro. Unfortunately, when I made these last pictures I could find my velcro, so I'm just holding it closed with me finger.

I really truly hope this tutorial makes some sense to somebody. If not, criticism is very much appreciated. And again, if anybody makes one of these, post the pics on this topic, or message me the link to a new topic. Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I LOVE personal swaps! If you see something I made that you like, and have anything fun or interesting or silly, tell me.
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007 02:32:30 PM »

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing how you made these! There's a lady not far from me who always has books out in her yard sale. Not sure if they are romance novels, but I'll be looking Wink And, I have a friend who LOVES romance novels. I think I'll make her one of these for her birthday Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Routines for Long Haul Flights
Red Carpet Glam for Less
Hayden Panettiere and Her Makeup Artist Launch Online Beauty Series
Daily Habits That Are Ruining Your Skin
Glam Nomad Makeup at Bibhu Mohaptara NYFW 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...