A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My boyfriend's new hat.  (Read 3517 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antsy
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008 05:40:45 PM »

I made the same hat not too long ago. it turned out a lot like yours did. did it seem to you like it was more a beanie than a slouch hat? I guess I'll just have to try a bigger hook.

I have the same problem charging for things I make. It used to be that I'd start crocheting something and next thing I know someone would want it and I'd think "oh I can make myself one later" and give it to them for free. the first thing I ever crocheted I ended up giving away to someone I didn't even know that well because they asked. is that stupid or what? but I've finally developed a backbone and made a few things that I've actually kept. but now I'm on a charity kick and I'm giving everything away again. oh, well at least this time the people getting the stuff actually need it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andi_sunrider
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2008 08:53:21 PM »

That hat is totally awesome!

As far as price goes, I think some of the people on this list are being waaaay too easy-going -- I wouldn't accept anything less than $20 for that, with yarn on top.

Or, bartering for the same value. Where do these guys work? Can you get a deal on something from there? Can they teach you a skill, like changing a tire or something? Can they cook you a yummy meal?

Or, them paying for the materials, and they have to keep me company while I make their object. This is a great way to get to know people better:) Most people I find, give up on this one when they realize how many hours it takes to make some things.

I used to give handmade things ALLLL the time, and people started expecting them for free -- things like corsets that take me 20 hours, and so on, because we're "friends," and I made one for so an so, so why not for them? You have to make it clear to people that your time is valuable, that they're not your BF and thus don't merit hours of dedication. How much is minimum wage where you live? Keep that in mind when you tell them how much you'll charge.

Awesome hat, and cute guy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy. com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
RyuuDolly
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2008 09:19:44 PM »

I've made about 3 of those hats.. About two came out as a beanie. I think I used a slightly bigger hook for this one though.. but I never had a chance to try it on since I finished while he was in the room. I'm sure it would have been more slouchy then. 

I'm sure if I offer to make something for a price, no one would be willing.  I won't mind though. I like making things anyway but it's nice to have a variety... I really don't think I could get $20 for that especially from people my age. Most of my friends don't have jobs. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

parachutepants
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2008 11:02:54 AM »

Such a cute hat! I love the lime green color, that can definitely brighten up a grey winter day.

I recently started making hats as gifts and found that everyone and their brother started asking me to make them. I enjoy doing it, but sometimes I want to make something for myself or just for the people I love. I feel like selling them sometimes takes away from the special nature of making a gift for a person you care about. I also don't really like making people pay, because once they do, you are obligated to turn around the finished project ASAP, as a college student I don't have that much time to crochet. If you do have the time and want to sell them though, I'd probably collect money ($10 for a hat, $20-25 for a scarf) from a few people, go to the store, and promise them their items within a specific period of time. Or maybe you could make a bunch and sell them at a craft fair! That might be easier than taking specific requests. Good luck and keep crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emily_lanz
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2008 11:08:43 AM »

Go into business!  Make a few $$ and have fun while you're doing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinklamb
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2008 06:11:43 AM »

I love this hat - I'm making myself one someday (after all my other projects that need done first!!).  Love the color you used! Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Glee

gleefulthings.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2008 01:30:34 PM »

Usually whenever my close friends want a hat I'll just ask them to pay for the yarn. Or if they want to use something I already have, I might just give it to them for free since they're helping clear out my stash lol! I usually only charge if it's someone I don't really know, like a friend of a friend or something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Crochet Patterns: gleefulthings.com

My Etsy Store: glee.etsy.com

Flickr: flickr.com/photos/gleefulthings
RyuuDolly
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008 02:05:14 PM »

Yeah. I'm thinking about making things and selling it or giving it away. I would like to get paid for the things I make but I'll need yarn. So I could either go out and buy the yarn myself then get paid. Or I could get them to buy the yarn for me. Hmm.. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet the 1st Line in Slitted Tree Skirts
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 7/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 2/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 5/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 3/7
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...