A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
346 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toothpaste Collection Display (verbose and pic heavy)  (Read 8635 times)
Tags for this thread: collection , display  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 29, 2007 06:43:03 PM »

So I have a collection of foreign toothpaste that I've been slowing acquiring for about 12-13 years and I finally got together a few shadow box frames and a bulk supply of mat board remnants to put about 2/3 - 3/4 of the collection on display.  They are currently in my hallway, which is not the long narrow kind, but the oddly-shaped small kind you find in small old houses (like mine), but after I do some remodeling in the bathroom, they'll go in there.  They're mostly categorized by country or region of manufacture, but one grouping is kids' toothpaste from 3 different continents, in 3 languages.  I need at least 3 more frames to get the whole collection to-date on display.  I've a couple friends traveling internationally Q1 2008, so I'm going to get a couple extra frames if I can!

A few close ups:

Italian toothpaste.

Asian toothpaste made in China, Japan and Vietnam.

Kids' toothpaste made in the Czech Republic, Mexico and Japan.

I wanted them to look like old natural history museum displays, so the labels are in Courier to look kind of like they were typed and each label is cut individually with a straight-edge and blade.  The information is:

Brand type if applicable  Country of Manufacture/Country of Purchase
or
Brand
Flavor
Country of Manufacture/Country of Purchase

The north wall:

The south wall:

Why toothpaste?  You aren't the first to ask!  It started simply because I ran out of toothpaste while in Costa Rica.  When I bought it, I realized that the Colgate tube was English on one side, Spanish on the other and thought it was neato.  It was the toothpaste in my travel bag until it ran out.  Then I ran out of toothpaste in England a year-and-a-half later (I'm from the US).  Now I pick it up in every country I visit.  My friends and family know that toothpaste would be a good souvenir for me when they travel and if they don't, I tell them.   Wink  About 1/3 of my collection is from others.  Anyway, for me it's a near-perfect souvenir because it's almost universally available, it's cheap, it's small and light weight, you can get it through customs w/ no problem and often you can find something that looks a lot different than what you get at home.  However, Colgate is everywhere and Aqua Fresh is almost as ubiquitous.  Most of the time the local language(s) is (are) on the tubes, though.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007 06:55:43 PM by TheMistressT - Reason: typo (sigh) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

black and white photo
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007 06:49:45 PM »

woah, thats pretty cool (this rox Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bella_domanie
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007 06:50:38 PM »

That is such a good idea, I love that you collect toothpaste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carolynbb
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007 06:54:14 PM »

Holy cow, what an amazingly original art piece.  I adore history museums and I think you've nailed the "display plaques" perfectly!  I have to admit that ginger mint toothpaste doesn't sound very tasty though... Tongue Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007 07:01:32 PM »

Thanks everyone!

carloynbb - It wasn't bad, actually.  What's really nasty is the kids' toothpaste... those I tried once, then tossed.  They taste like they'd give you cavities!  I've recently read about 2 different situations where toothpaste from China (an international brand, ahem) was found to be full of bad chemicals or not even be toothpaste, so I think I may not use some of the stuff I got recently, even though it's from Egypt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

julieboolie

turtle, turtle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007 07:01:50 PM »

That is really awesome!
I like the first one the best.
Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield"

Wists | Pinterest | Ravelry
Tawny

A crafting I will go...........

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007 08:09:36 PM »

I LOVE this collection.  Very original!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftNClutter
Formerly: shuffar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007 09:05:57 PM »

What a great collection! I must admit, my favorite is the Italian display as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bottles caps? Please!

::blog:: - Craft 'N' Clutter
::wists:: - inspiration & desires
::Stalker?:: - That means you,
expressmail

Addicted to knitting, but won't share used needles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007 10:07:12 PM »

you have zhong(1)hua(2) brand toothpaste! WOW! I thought I was the only American who had the stuff hah hah hah. i get it in china town cuz i think it's cool. you rock ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't you hate it when people fill up their signature with random junk you could care less about reading but when you see how long it is you figure it has to be important so you keep reading but it's not worth your time and you just wasted a whole minute reading absolutely nothing at all? I do.
TheMistressT

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007 11:31:15 PM »

Thanks, Craftsters!  I spent some time this evening mounting some German tubes to mat board (even though I still have to go buy the frames) while watching a German movie, "The Lives of Others". 

julieboolie and shuffar: I like the Italian one a lot, too.  But I also like the ones that are less "designed" looking, because they seem all that much more like decades old natural history museum displays of minerals or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Graham Cracker Gingerbread Cottages
How to Make a Holiday Photo Card Ornament
How to Make Christmas Gift Card Holder Ornaments
How to Make Lanterns Out of Jam Jars
How to Make a Cork Picture Frame
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...