A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Needle Roll for Mom!!! Now with my friend's tutorial added on page 2!!!  (Read 3538 times)
Tags for this thread: gifts_for_knitters , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Michela
Hi, I'm Confused. And you are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008 10:08:24 AM »

VEry cool! I love the polka dot/paisley combo, esp. in those colours. It's got a big of retro charm to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft so I can avoid reality.....
My wist
creepyhugger
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008 04:05:31 PM »

amazing!  i love the color combos...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jrsloane1

Knit Free or Die

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008 06:46:35 AM »

i love the super fat ribbon. nice fabric choices!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Truth Is Out There
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009 05:47:44 AM »

Ok, so someone pm'd me and asked if I could post the tutorial that my friend made for me.  I have a real problem with spatial reasoning.  It's difficult for me to visualize how to get from point A to point B without some visual cues, so that's why I needed this tutorial from my friend.  Hopefully, this will help the craftster member that pm'd me along with anyone else who needs it:) 

Er, one thing to keep in mind.  Remember that she was doing this for a friend, so it's not all technically worded and stuff.  If you have any questions, just ask and I'll try to help:)  Here's the tutorial:

You're going to need approx 1/2 yard outer fabric and 1 yard inner fabric for the needle roll. You will also need 1/2 yard thin batting or fleece if you want it kinda squishy like yours. And bias tape.  And ribbon.

Here's what you'll do:

Cut three rectangular pieces the size you want your needle roll to be. Or measure the one I made and give yourself 1 inch seam allowance all around  [See note from thankyoulocust at bottom]. You need one outer, one inner, and one batting.

Sew fleece to the WRONG side of your inner rectangle as close to the edge as possible so you still have most of your 1" seam allowance. Sweet!

You're almost done! Not really.

Now, get the rest of your inner fabric (or a completely different fabric if you want) to make some pocket things. They need to be the width of your rectangular pieces and as tall as you would like them to be plus an inch or so. Note that the highest pocket must reach all the way to the bottom of the rectangle, not just to the second highest pocket top. Make sure to leave enough room for a fold over flap thing. Confused? Me too. Time for another diagram!

Don't sew anything yet! If you have enough fabric you can fold it to make both the outer and lining of the pocket, or you can sew two pieces together right sides facing, flip over, and press. That will make your pieces. Then you just need to sew bias tape along the tops of all pocket strips (3 if you're doing it like yours.) [See note from thankyoulocust at bottom]

Now, layer all the pockets on top of inner rectangle. How lovely it looks. Pin them in place all nice and good. Sew along both sides and bottom, make sure to do this in your nice 1" seam allowance area.

Now you'll need to decide how wide you want the slots to be. After lots of precise calculations, stitch straight lines. [See note from thankyoulocust at bottom] Wee. Hate this part. Make them straight! I mean really straight! Start at the top and stitch down. When you are finished pull all pieces of thread at the top (along all your little slots) to the back and stitch by hand over the top stitch a billion times (like 5) in the same holes made by your machine. Knot. It looks neater this way, but you can backstitch on the machine if you don't like sewing by hand. 

Now, pin right sides of the outside and inner pieces together. Stick in a ribbon or fabric strips as closure on the left side. [See note from thankyoulocust at bottom]  Two pieces of ribbon, overlapping. Make sure the pieces are INSIDE your little fabric sandwich, or the ribbon will end up on the inside of the roll after you turn it. Stitch all the way around your inside out roll, leaving about 3-4 inches unstitched on the right side to turn it all out. Turn out, stitch hole closed.

A few notes from thankyoulocust-the measurements of the needle roll my friend made for me are as follows (these are with the 1" for seam allowance added):

18 inches tall
19 inches wide

My pocket measurements are:

bottom pocket: 5 1/2 inches tall
middle pocket: 8 1/2 inches tall
tallest pocket: 12 inches tall

The individual pocket widths go like this:

1-4 inches wide
2-2 inches wide
2-1 1/2 inches wide
1-1 3/4 inches wide
5-inch wide

Each piece of my ribbon is approximately:

1 1/2 inches wide
20 inches long

I hope you guys find this helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
jacsu
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010 01:41:19 PM »

this is gorgeous! thank you for the pattern Smiley i've been wanting to make one of these for a while but this is the first pattern i've found online Smiley thank you so so so so much Smiley Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wish my knitting would block itself!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Great Legs Instantly
Sneak Peek: Birchbox June 2013
Susan Sarandon Gets Incredibly Candid About Aging in Hollywood
Skin Care Tips For Oily Skin
Upgrade Your Beauty Bag for $15 or Less
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...