My husband and I belong to a community workshop in the Bay Area (TechShop
-- definitely check it out if you're local). My friend Colleen wanted new house numbers for her place, so hubby and I lept at the challenge.
I'm really happy with how they turned out.
First we used a plasma cutter to cut out the numbers:
Next, we used a milling machine to drill holes in 1/2" cubic mounting post (lucite plastic from TAP plastics). I used a screw tap to etch the thread pitches into the drilled holes, but I don't have a clear photo of that step.
We used a drill press to punch mounting holes in the numbers:
Then used a flanged end bit on the holes as our mounting screws have, well, flanged heads.
Hubby used acrylic cement to glue the mounting cubes onto the plexiglass background, but I don't have a photo of that.
We sandblasted the numbers and then painted them metallic silver. I also spraypainted the plexiglass background black.
A few years ago on a motorcycle trip, we found some construction-grade retro-reflective paint beads in a turnout. We took a bunch of it home in an empty Coke bottle, and used some to sprinkle on the numbers while the paint was still wet.
Here's the finished product!:
Here are the numbers up on Colleen's garage: