A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Japanese Obi Tote  (Read 1817 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 29, 2007 11:46:35 AM »

Hi folks, noob here ...

I usually post on the Quilting Forum, but I made this tote for my auntie for Christmas and I would love to hear any comments/critiques. This is the first tote/handbag I've ever made, so let me have it!!   Grin

Background info:  I have fallen madly in LUST for Japanese textiles, specifically kimonos and obis. It started Halloween '06 when I wanted to go to work as a geisha and won an auction for a Japanese kimono on eBay. The garment sent to me was a true work of art, and being the quilter that I am, started the gears whirling and I wanted to incorporate vintage kimonos into my quilts. To see a quilt made of vintage kimonos, go here (I won't post pix because it's the wrong forum):
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/Kimby1_album/

Anywho, being the addicted eBay whore that I am, I have now amassed a large collection of silk and cotton kimonos and obis. Lately I've been getting to know my seam ripper intimately, and finally have begun deconstructing my collection. This tote is made from a Fukuro obi, woven and embroidered silk, with a silk lining. 

Generally speaking, obis are about 14 feet long, but only 12 - 14" wide. This tote, once finished, completed at 12" wide, and 15" long. Weird dimensions, I know, but it was what I had to work with:

Here's a shot to give you an idea of scale. I wanted the tote large enough for my aunt to haul mags and books in:

This is the inside. No pockets, because I was able to use the lining already attached to the obi itself. No zipper or closures, either ... zips scare the geewilkers outta me, and snaps and such would've looked ghetto:

I wanted to make straps from leftover fabric, but I didn't want to waste anymore silk than I already had with my FIRST attempt at straps. So I found webbing that seemed a pretty good match.

Please let me know what you folks think. I would like to make some more of these as gifts, and of course my aunt said it was fantastic.  Undecided I need some unbiased opinions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
bluesaranwrap
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007 12:58:26 PM »

Beautiful bag! Instead of zippers or snaps why not put a fancy button on one front side and a loop on the other (inside) to fasten it or even just ribbons if you want to give it a pretty closure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiebread
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007 01:32:29 PM »

Your aunt said it was fantastic because it IS!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007 01:56:42 PM »

Wow, gorgeous!  I'm also obsessed with kimonos and obis.  All of your work is beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007 02:23:39 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SUBMITEVERYTHOUGHT
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007 05:40:16 PM »

Beautiful, exquisite fabric, and classy colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
gannon
Those who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person doing it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007 09:20:55 PM »

I want one, too! And your quilts are incredible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can read this, thank a teacher! 

Visit my blog :  http://clayplaycafe.blogspot.com
Midnight Iris
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007 07:04:27 PM »

Wow. It is really fantastic. Very pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zombies=<3
Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007 07:31:55 PM »

Beautiful bag! Instead of zippers or snaps why not put a fancy button on one front side and a loop on the other (inside) to fasten it or even just ribbons if you want to give it a pretty closure.

That is a great idea ... I would go with something simple and organic, say a large wooden button.

Thank you all for the fabumundo compliments ... when you take a really simple design (I'm the QUEEN of simple!)and pair it with such fantastic fabrics, it's amazing what you finish with.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008 11:49:15 AM »

So gorgeous, and I loved the quilt esp. the back it reminds me kind of sashiko quilting. As far as zippers go there is absolutely nothing to be scared of, making a big quilt out of valuable fabrics is scary sewing in a zipper easy, just follow one of the fantastic tutes on here and do a few practice ones out of scrap fabrics. I double dog dare ya  Tongue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Turkish Quilting
The Art of Kilim Weaving and Miniature Painting
The Art of Glass and Ceramic Tile Painting
The Art of Turkish Ebru
The Art of Charcoal Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...