A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Rainbow Crochet Crutch Cushions!  (Read 5559 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

a besoin de parler
« on: January 05, 2005 04:11:37 PM »

Most unfortunately, I sprained my ankle severely at a dance audition last night.  After a miserable wait in the emergency room, I got home around midnight.  I was having a not so fun day of pain, exhaustion and frustration at school.

But, quite fortunately, I didn't have to suffer through the entire school day, because we were let out due to freezing rain!  So, I ran (or rather hobbled) right home and tried to devise a way to make my crutches less painful on my upper arms.

I ended up crocheting these super fun covers to go over the foam bit at the top.  I used my favorite yarn in the whole entire world, Lion Brand's Landscapes.  I can't remember the name of the color, but it's quite fun!

http://img106.exs.cx/img106/7150/fullcrutch3zl.jpg

http://img106.exs.cx/img106/5483/zoomcrutch8ss.jpg
The color is most accurate in this picture here.

I used a size I needle.  I made a rectangle, 14 chains across and 14 rows of double crochet.  I folded it 'hotdog style' and sewed the ends closed.  Then, to keep it from slipping off the crutch, I went around the bottom for two rows in single crochet, doing a stitch about every inch to make it gathered and tighter, which keeps it on tight.  Then I folded a washcloth on top of the foam handle, and slipped the the cover on.  Voila!  They're so much fun, they make me almost forget the excruciating pain I'm in!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012 08:36:50 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gretelgrrl
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005 04:18:27 PM »

Ugh!  I was on Crutches for two months once and then again for another month and a half a few years later.  I would have LOVED to have known how to crochet!!! That definitely would have helped.

What a great idea - and how nice to pamper yourself.  The tops of those things (rubber) get so icky once they wear for awhile.  So it's nice that you'll prevent yourself an eyesore Wink

Just remember to put your weight on your hands and not on your armpits.  That's a mistake a lot of people make.

Good luck healing!  Keep up the beautiful work and fantabulous attitude. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JodyBoBodie

God Bless Us Everyone!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005 06:04:26 PM »

Those are great!  And I love the yarn, goona have to save up and get me some.  Take care of that ankle!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flamethrower

Breath deeply/Exhale/Let go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005 10:03:47 AM »

Now that is a great idea!
Cushy and fashionable--

~ DAWN
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Mary Oliver "wild geese"

http://wildyarn.blogspot.com
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005 12:53:51 PM »

When I was in college I ended up in a cast for six weeks and though it never occurred to me to make crutch cozies, I did make a little...well, bra, I guess you'd call it, to cover my exposed toes.  Have had occasion since to need crutches a couple of times and will remember your idea should the need ever arise again---thanks for the idea and the how-to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mthompson828

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005 01:01:01 PM »

Ingenious!  I was on crutches over the summer (also for sprained ankle) and discovered a little problem with the cushiony material on them - I'm sensitive to latex, and they must have some latex in them, 'cause I kept breaking out.  Not on my hands, mind you, which would have made sense, but on my face.  I finally realized I was touching my face after using the crutches, and transferring the latex-y bad stuff to my face.  I just used some fabric, taped (not so prettily) around the foam, but wish I'd'a thought of that.  Great work, and love the colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Rid of Dandruff
How to Wash Your Hair
How to Wash Your Hair Scientifically
How to Use Natural Hair Dye
How to Get a Great Haircut at the Barbershop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...