A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,745
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: storing ephemera, scraps, bits, etc  (Read 953 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xmelinda
« on: January 05, 2005 01:30:06 PM »

I am constantly saving things to use in paper crafts "eventually" but I can't figure out a good way to organize and store them.  Does anyone here have a good system that they use?  I've tried boxes and file folders, but it's tricky to remember what's where and stay organized, especially when some things are just tiny and some are full pages (like from old magazines).

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
katzenjammy
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005 02:30:37 PM »

I just solved that one myself. Costco has been selling these little rolling 10-drawer plastic storage carts for $20. Each drawer is about 10"x12"x3.5" or so; the drawers are five colors, which helps you remember what's where. I put my glues and jars of brushes and pens on the metal top, scissors in the top drawer, and file the papers and other bits in the rest.

I recently saw something that looked just like this in the Pottery Barn catalog for ~$90! Go figure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happify
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005 10:17:23 PM »

I agree with you, Melinda, about it being hard as hell to figure out how to store this stuff.  I don't have a problem with other stuff really (except projects in progress and giant things) but pretty little papers and cut-outs...  So many problems posed: do you sort by size or subject or era or colors?  how do you keep them easily-accessible and still neat?  What about the fragile bits?  how small is too small to save? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BioChickiee
I'm easily satisfied with the very best

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005 12:25:49 PM »

i use the plastic thing with a bunch of drawers too, i have like 5 they are really good because the drawers are smaller, for the really small pieces i have a tiny plastic 5 drawer one that i bought at walmart for like $5. it is like 8" tall and i think its made by rubbermaid it is over by the other plastic bins and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BioChickiee
I'm easily satisfied with the very best

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005 12:28:10 PM »

i just thought of something else, if you had some extra time on your hands you could get one of those magic photo albums where you just lift up the plastic sheet and the stuff sticks to it, put all of your scraps in one of those, you can even move the pages into a bigger binder because they are usually 3 ringed, you can even put dividers in. thats what i did with my stickers and it helps to see everything laid out instead of in a big bin and having to sort through it all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjtalula

Miette la chat noir

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005 08:36:16 AM »

I tried using one of these "sticky" photo albums once for all my stickers but when I tried to remove some they resisted mightily and some even ripped in the process.  I recently took apart a little mini photo album (where each page holds one picture on the front and back) and these pages hold lots of little bits of paper and clippings which are easy to remove.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends-
It gives a lovely light!

Edna St. Vincent Millay
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005 12:01:38 AM »

I would love to know the best way to store that kind of stuff, too. What I'm going to try is using three ring binders with plastic folders to hold everything. I have the tabbed dividers to put between them so I can label what they're for. Maybe something like "Full Mag Pages - For Envelopes, Full Mag Pages - Articles, Scraps - Large, Scraps - Small" but I've not decided yet. Then I also have a bunch of folders from previous things, just enough to make a rainbow, and I think any scraps and bits that I have saved specifically for color will go into the matching color folder. I'm probably going to start organizing my project plans and ideas and stuff in a binder as well.

As for stickers and scrapbooky type things, I got some of those open front clear folders in a couple of different colors. I put all my regular stickers in one and all my acid free stickers in another and put them alongside my sticker maker and a tin full of various adhesives. I may redo this though, and find a way where I can sort them by type or size. Maybe another binder, or small sleeves/ziplocs inside the open front folder. Probably the latter.

My small scrapbook paper and die cuts and things like that are just in with regular big scrapbook paper for now. I've yet to finish a scrapbook but I can't resist the pretty paper. I mostly use it for collage. Photo albums would probably work for a lot of that kind of stuff too, aside from the full magazine pages obviously.

I'm a major packrat and my paper stash is the worst. It freaks me out when I look at my newly arranged journal shelf and see just how many journals and sketch pads and paper pads I have. And then there's the scrapbook stuff, and the stationery...plus the magazines, plus collage specific paper, plus little neat brochures from places, plus old artwork, plus tissue paper.... It's horrible. I finally finished my craft area in the sense that everything has a place and nothing's on the floor or shoved in weird places but now I have to go through and get everything organized more thoroughly into smaller categories so I don't have to search so long to find what I want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjtalula

Miette la chat noir

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005 12:39:01 AM »

This only works for small bits and scraps, but I recently stole all my BF's plastic card covers for his geeky role playing card games and they are nice because you can throw scraps into them without worrying if they will get messed up, (i.e. torn, crumpled,).   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends-
It gives a lovely light!

Edna St. Vincent Millay
ilovepaper
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005 03:25:15 AM »

I use plastic sheet protectors in a binder for full page size stuff and the plastic baseball card holder ones for smaller stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005 05:35:38 AM »

Good ideas! I'd run away from the "magnetic' album, although, especially if your little scraps are thin and fragile, not to mention you don't want to pick up any acidic residue from the backing that you might transfer to your ultimate scrapbook.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eggs & Rice Dish Perfect For Some Home-Style Cooking
How to Make Southern Fried Chicken
How to Make Texas Roadhouse Chili
Chef Explains How He Came Up With Ramen Burger
Spicing It Up: Tiger Jambalaya
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...