A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy baby blanket (or other shower-appropriate items)?  (Read 1059 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2005 12:24:09 PM »

I just learned to knit over the holidays, and have been experimenting with various stitches and so on --- but I have yet to make anything other than long strips of samplers. A friend of mine is pregnant, and we're having a baby shower for her in February, so I thought that a simple baby blanket (or something of that ilk) would be a good first 'real' project for me. To that end, I've been casting around (er, no pun intended) for a pattern. I've found a few that look manageable, but I'd love some recommendations from more experienced knitters... Which of these is most likely within my ability? Which is the best blanket, babywise?

What I've come up with so far:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-diagonalBabyBlanket.html

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kpl-bafg.html

http://www.nancyhearne.com/drawingboard/littleblankets.htm (I like the basketweave one, and would make a full-size version, not the doll-sized one...)

http://frugalknit12330.goeserv.com/homepage/funstitch.htm (a more complicated one, but all stitches that I've mastered --- counting would be the only real challenge!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005 12:34:29 PM »

They are all beautiful!  I would have a hard time choosing, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fl_mariposa
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005 12:53:55 PM »

They are good. I have made the first one in Homespun and it turned out really cool and pretty. I've heard that it's better to keep away from anything that's too "holey" so their little fingers and things don't get wrapped up. Also, check out the Big Bad Baby Blanket from Stitch n bitch. It's very popular, very easy and very cute. HTH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

out of town until July 10th...I will respond to any messages then.
forurlungsonly
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005 01:03:00 PM »

Well it's not a blanket, though I do like the ones you're thinking about, but I've made a couple of the Umbilical Cord baby hats from Stitch n Bitch in Caron's Simply Soft acrylic. I think they were my first project knit in the round, and the hat is not only easy, it's also really quick to knit up.  And looks so cute on a baby.  Just a suggestion, as I know I'm forever running out of the time I'd like to spend knitting.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lara
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005 01:15:05 PM »

i'd go for the hooded blanket, i'm actually going to make one for a friend's baby due in march, it's quite practical when you want to wrap up your baby to go out, this way you can cover the head too.

however, all the blankets in your list are easy to make, they're not complicated patterns, but it mainly depends on what kind of stitches you've practiced. some beginners for example have trouble with the seed stitch
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chimblysweep
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005 01:46:20 PM »

If you're not looking to spend forever on stuff, I like to make a umbilical cord hat from SnB and then matching one hour booties from SnB nation.  The two can both be finished in about 3 hours.

Beware the Big Bad Baby Blanket-- there are some KAL threads about what a PAIN it is.  Really becomes boring after, well, skein 4.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gloriana
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005 08:09:45 AM »

I second the recommendations for the umbilical cord baby hat from SnB - I've made it three times.  I did a simple baby blanket right after I learned to knit that I made up - I bought six balls of GGH Esprit on eBay (it's a super heavenly soft yarn), three white and three blue, and did a simple striped garter stitch blanket, about 30" by 30".  Since the yarn is so fuzzy and nubby, the stitch pattern didn't really matter, which is why I knit every row.  It was for my niece, and it came out beautifully.  A friend of mine did something similar recently with several different colors of Trendsetter Blossom, also a very soft, nubby yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005 02:15:54 PM »

Hmmm... I don't have a copy of SnB, and I probably won't for a while (school textbooks being more of a priority, and an expenive one, at the moment). I think I'm going to stick with the baby blanket idea. I'm wondering about just doing it as a sampler of stitches (something like the fourth link I gave before), only I'm worried that its shape will be wonky, since something like a seed stitch is wider than, say, a stockinette or garter stitch. If I'm going to combine stitches, am I best to stick with a pattern that's been done before? (Yes, I AM a worry-wart. But I don't want to spend a long time making a blanket that's going to look like crap!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
Knitrageous
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005 02:29:28 PM »

I've made a lot of the LionBrand diagonal out of Homespun. They have all turned out pretty. The yarn is a little fuzzy though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Learning how to knit was a snap. It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Soft and Shiny Locks with Steam
Beachy Waves Without Going to a Salon
Three Hair Sprays That Do More Than Just Hold Your Style
Hair Care with Natural Ingredients
Make Your Hair Color Last Longer With Easy At-Home Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...