A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: best thrift stores  (Read 17596 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bluehairedmary

Craft or Be Crafted!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 29, 2004 11:46:36 AM »

I'm in love with thrifting.  Anyone else?  Every Saturday my boyfriend and I go cruising our usual favorites or to the ones we haven't been to recently.  Here are some of my favs with basic locations:
  • Last Chance - Decatur (1/2 off every Monday)
  • Value Village - off of Lawrenceville Hwy (except they don't have dressing rooms)
  • Salvation Army - Avondale (1/2 off Wednesdays - clothing)
  • Smyrna Thrift Store - S. Cobb Dr.
  • The Bargain Story - Snellville/ US 78 (great bargains on Saturdays - tons of books!)
Just added:
  • The Thrift House (?) in Buckhead, off of Sidney Marcus & Piedmont
  • Two other thrift stores on S.M. and Piedmont in that area; can't recall their names; but they're good and cheap.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004 05:23:35 PM by bluehairedmary » THIS ROCKS   Logged
DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004 11:51:04 AM »

Awesome! So you must live near or in Atlanta! I live in a very boring town not worth mentioning that is an hour from Atlanta (so I don't get to go there often). I've been wondering where all of the good thrifts were, so thanks for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
divasteph

The crafty diva is on the loose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004 09:05:56 AM »

there is a value village also on roswell rd (alpharetta highway area)--- they have those cute high heel shoe chairs there for $80 i think - i havent bought any but they always have them when i go there
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004 05:59:30 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

adlib
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004 05:53:55 AM »

My faves:

Goodwill in Lilburn off Lawrenceville Hwy and Rockbridge: This is in a shopping center that also has rad (did I just say rad?) flea market/antique shop places. One had a photo album FULL of 50's nudie pics. Not from mags, actual photos. They wanted $60 or I totally would have bought it.

Last Chance in Norcross - the corner of Buford and N. Norcross Tucker. They also do half price Mondays and they are a hop, skip, and jump from my house (yay!). I got a pair of Timberland shoes for $3.50 and a pair of Rockports for $5. My favorite jeans are from there - Old Navy, $4.50 - and I have bought many many shirts there for $2-$5. If you like 80's clothes, OH MY GAWD! They have you covered.

I also like the Value Village on Roswell Rd - I usually hit the Dick Blick art store over there too. It's near (I think) that 99 cent store divasteph mentioned in another thread.

For clearance racks (my other passion): Target on Peachtree Ind/Holcomb Bridge, Lowe's on Beaver Ruin, SuperTarget on Venture (off Steve Reynolds by Satellite), Joann's on Pleasant Hill (? - I always go in the parking lot entrance off Steve Reynolds by Old Norcross), Michael's on Pleasant Hill, and Hobby Lobby on Venture. Oh, and has anyone else noticed the clearance/dent & ding rack at Sam's? It's by the frozen food (they hide it). Sometimes you can find great stuff there with a minor scratch or that has just been discontinued.

-Courtney

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004 09:22:19 PM »

There's a Step-Up Society store on Monroe at Ponce.  You have to do some foraging to find what you need, but they usually have very very very cheap furniture (like my grass-green bow-tie jacquard sixties sofa for $30).  There's also a Salvation Army in midtown at Means and Marietta.  Also 1/2 off Wednesdays.  the furniture is expensive, but nice, and the clothes are excellent.  Neither one has much in the way of vintage kitchen ware, which is my real passion, so if anyone knows of a good place for that, let me know...  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
rentpenguin
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004 04:17:09 PM »

hey adlib
i was just wonfering if you lived in or around norcross.  i live off spalding and go to last chance and a bunch of other places you named all the time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluehairedmary

Craft or Be Crafted!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004 05:42:11 PM »

I actually live in Decatur now, but I used to live in Norcross and also Smyrna.  And when my beau and I go thrift store hunting, we travel all over metro Atlanta.  My favorite store - Ameria's Thrift Store - used to be in Norcross, but it closed down.  We recently traveled to Peachtree City to find one.  It was well worth it.  If you're unfamiliar with the chain (they have their own website too), they mark everything that's been there for two weeks, and then two more weeks, etc.  So, eventually, you may be able to get an item for 48 cents.   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
adlib
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004 07:18:41 AM »

Yep, I live in Norcross. Off Spalding? I'm down that way ALL the time! You should email me sometime - adlib77@email.com - maybe we could hang out.

There's an America's Thrift in Lilburn that ROCKS! How did I forget to list that one? Anyway, I've not had enough time to really dig at that store, but just skimming I came up with a great pair of shoes and a little rack for my craft booth and my hubby found a pair of Nordstrom pants - we spent a whopping $9. The Nordstroms would have been $79 new.

-Courtney
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mom2boys
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004 07:16:22 AM »

Bluehairedmary -
The America's Thrift Store you referred to that used to be on Jimmy Carter Boulevard in Norcross moved to the corner of Pleasant Hill Road and Hwy 29 a couple of years ago.  It's much bigger and much nicer than it was.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluehairedmary

Craft or Be Crafted!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004 08:20:37 AM »

Ooooh!  Good to know!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessdell
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004 05:42:51 PM »

if any of ya'll ever visit newnan try the Army Pawn Shop-it's downtown.....there's also like 20 other little pawn and thrift shops down there....i live outside city limits but love goin downtown to the thrift store....also i've found a lot at the goodwill emporium!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004 06:06:17 PM »

for vintage kitchen wares, you might try the kudzu antique mall down on ponce near the dekalb farmers market. I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but I've seen some there and it's at least worth a look. Or the broad street antique mall in chamblee. You might not want to pay antique mall prices (bargains ARE half the fun), but you migth be surprised.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
I keep boxes of beautiful dreams
And late at night
When no ones in sight
They come out and whisper to me - J,LC
iciclegirl
Obey the Chuck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004 01:03:09 PM »

Dagnabbit, I live in Centerville (a few min. south of macon) anyone know of any good ones closer to me......pweeze?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
senlin
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2004 12:02:44 PM »

Another good place is Decatur Estates.  It's in the Big Lots/ Hancock Fabric shopping center where Scott Blvd. and N. Decatur cross. 

It's more upscale finds, but still some good bargains.  I've purchased a vintage coffee caraft and picnic basket there that I love.  Also, jewelry, gloves and hats are all decently priced.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AllieStar
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2004 07:49:22 AM »

hey hey. Cheesy any thrifty places close to Athens or in Athens?

thanks so much for the ones already listed! i live in sc, but i visit ga alot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee. myspace. cupcakes. flickr. embroidery.
NEW! my crafty blog >> ice pink stars!
magnolia

Bob the Angry Sixtopus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004 11:34:02 PM »

Man, Savannah sucks. hehe You'd think suge a huge touristy town would have some cool thrift stores. But we don't. All tourists want are those (mostly) God-awful antique shoppes.

*sigh*

Yes, I go to SCAD.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

useratl
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2005 01:36:48 AM »

Awesome! So you must live near or in Atlanta! I live in a very boring town not worth mentioning that is an hour from Atlanta (so I don't get to go there often). I've been wondering where all of the good thrifts were, so thanks for posting!

-- Just curious what direction your boring town is from Atlanta . . .\

Anyway, there's a good one in Riverdale at the shopping center with the IHOP on the corner of Bus. 85 & Hwy 138, and then a few more on up Bus 85 north, on the left.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005 01:44:03 AM by useratl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
artxinxlies

don't.fall.in.love.with.everyone.you.see

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005 06:13:24 PM »

I'm over in Augusta and all we pretty much have are a couple local goodwill's and salvation armies! If anyone knows of any other, slightly more exotic or interesting, thrift stores in or around my area let me know!

Oh and who ever said they lived near macon, I went in a salvation army there once and it was actually pretty kick ass, although in a bit of a rough area, well worth it though!

-Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mishti
amateur transmogrifier

Under There?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2005 08:58:29 AM »

bump!  I need to go thrift shop hunting.  I live really close to the northern 75/85 split.  Anyone know of any hidden in this area?  There's a so-so to crappy Value Village in the shopping center at Moore's Mill & Bolton, if you don't mind the thug mammas and thug daddies.  They don't have many good housewares, but I've found some okay clothes there. 

Does it seem to anyone else that all the thrift stores here are WAY overpriced?  I hear about $2 furniture, like storage pieces or tables, not chairs or stools, from so many people on the www but I can never find anything like that.

There's a thrift store in the Kroger shopping center on Howell Mill.  They have some really upscale clothing donations, not so many housewares. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am mebellus on Ravelry
trisarahtop
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005 12:31:26 PM »

I'm visiting my parents in Marietta for the next 2 and a half weeks or so, with very little to do - I go to school in Wisconsin, and my parents moved here at the end of my freshman year of college. I don't know anyone but my family, and so I have nothing to do besides read, knit, and watch TV. Are any of these stores near Marietta? Because that would be tight. Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
lexi
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005 08:46:02 AM »

Are any of these stores near Marietta?

YES!!

There are antique/thrift/flea markets - one on Cobb Parkway in a shopping center across from the Big Chicken where Ken Stanton (music store)

There are tons of thrift stores up & down Roswell Road leading to the Square and IN the square...

<--- not thrift places... --->

String of Purls (knitting shop) in the Marietta Square

Dick Blick by the mall area off of Barrett Parkway

then there's the requisite Joann's & Michael's...

whenever you're in the area again, let me know! I don't knit, but I love shopping for stuff to use in my craftystuff.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005 08:47:37 AM by lexi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There is all this untouched beauty / The light the dark both running through me / Is there still redemption for anyone / Jesus come" -Over The Rhine
philospud
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2005 01:07:01 PM »

Just an FYI, I drove by America's Thrift Store (on 29 and Pleasant Hill Road) a few days ago, and noticed it was completely empty and gone.  ;_; such an awesome store.

~Spud
THIS ROCKS   Logged
motoredxheart
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2005 08:39:06 AM »

Just an FYI, I drove by America's Thrift Store (on 29 and Pleasant Hill Road) a few days ago, and noticed it was completely empty and gone.  ;_; such an awesome store.

NOOO!  that was one of my favorite thrift stores.  r.i.p. america's thrift store.   Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shampoorobot
ShaMpOOroBoT

i love to make tings.....

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2006 11:51:52 AM »

have any of you ATL thrift hounds noticed that the last chance at church and scott blvd in decatur ( the one with 1/2 off mondays ) seems to be way pricier and extremely depleted? i even went at 8:30 and it totally sucked! what's up with them? it used to be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiehaynes
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2006 07:46:51 AM »

My favorite America's Thrift store is on hwy 85 in Riverdale.  It's nice because there is a Salvation Army right down the street, and you aren't too far from a Last Chance (I think that's still the name...they changed it a couple of times) that's right next to Southlake Mall.  You can hit three great places in about 2 hours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheThriftShopper.Com
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2006 12:00:44 PM »

I have a national directory of thrift stores. I hope this helps..

http://www.thethriftshopper.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't forget to look in your local thrift stores for your crafting supplies. Please check out my national directory of thrift stores at www.TheThriftShopper.Com for your shopping convenience.
ZombieCupcakes
Crocheting Forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006 09:02:55 PM »

the Salvation Army Family Store on 78 in Snellville kicks some serious ass. I've thrifted a bunch of cute clothes, a gorgeous print in a great frame and tons of books!

I loved Park Avenue Thrift on 29 in Lilburn (across from the Kroger at Beaver Ruin) but saw that it was recently closed for good Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in the radical possibilities of pleasure, babe.
MeganMayhem

We're Kings among runaways <3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006 01:44:09 AM »

Does anybody know of any good, cheap thrift/vintage stores in the Marrietta/Kennesaw/Acworth area? The ones I've found on the Square are especially expensive, but have such darling things, especially furniture. It's all in wonderful shape, so that's probably why things are so pricey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sirwonkalus
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006 02:19:29 AM »

have any of you ATL thrift hounds noticed that the last chance at church and scott blvd in decatur ( the one with 1/2 off mondays ) seems to be way pricier and extremely depleted? i even went at 8:30 and it totally sucked! what's up with them? it used to be great.

my moms theory is that the store is so close to emory that all the hipsters are taking everything
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennyBrown

Jenny Brown, Jenny Brown....Sweet Beak.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006 10:17:53 AM »

I will have to check out the Last Chance that adlib mentioned in Norcross!  I live off Buford Hwy in Doraville, and do the Goodwill, St. Vincent, Chamblee junk store rounds so I'll have to add it as well since we usually make it to the Norcross Goodwill pretty frequently!

I too love America's Thrift!  I recently moved from Alabama (went to college in Tuscaloosa) and there was one in Tuscaloosa and several in B'ham.  I have to say that I really miss the mega-thrift nature of it and the markdowns!  My complaint on Goodwill is that it's grouped by color making it impossible to find sizes and I hate that the clothes prices are all standard!  Ack!  Drives me crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

secondstar
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2007 01:34:57 PM »

Does anybody know of any good, cheap thrift/vintage stores in the Marrietta/Kennesaw/Acworth area? The ones I've found on the Square are especially expensive, but have such darling things, especially furniture. It's all in wonderful shape, so that's probably why things are so pricey.

I second this question. I hate having to drive all over the earth to find things and it seems like they are all right around atlanta where all the trendy kids go to buy clothes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We could be like onions and peppers
In a sleeping bag fajita
We could be anything you want
HannibalSmurf

Smile, I'll get you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2008 07:54:29 PM »

the best goodwill i've ever been to is actually in the area of my home. the woodstock goodwill off of hwy 92 right next to 575 is big, beautiful, and filled with wonderful finds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HannibalSmurf

Smile, I'll get you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008 07:57:26 PM »

the Salvation Army Family Store on 78 in Snellville kicks some serious ass. I've thrifted a bunch of cute clothes, a gorgeous print in a great frame and tons of books!

I loved Park Avenue Thrift on 29 in Lilburn (across from the Kroger at Beaver Ruin) but saw that it was recently closed for good Sad

There's a Park Avenue Thrift in Acworth on the corner of 92 and Bells Ferry Road. Maybe they moved locations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Oscar Winning Locks with Matrix Artistic Director, Ammon Carver
Hair Loss Treatment for Men
How to Get The Bump
How to Get Perfect Hair Color at Home
Double Duty Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...