A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
746 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Three-colour dishclot / potholder  (Read 668 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TLW
« on: December 28, 2007 01:48:41 AM »

Hello everyone,

My apologies for this long post, but I like it when people 'explain' their choices and difficulties during a project.

Hereby I proudly present, my own, homemade potholders / dishcloths.
I am not quite sure what the correct term should be in English / American.
They are supposed to be used to avoid your hands from getting burned when lifting hot things while cooking.

I used this pattern to figure out how to get the 'angle' in the design:
http://kaleidesigns.com/crochet/patterns/archive/dish005.html.

But mainly it is my own 'design'.
I choose to use three colours, so I could change colour in each row, without needing to 'carry the thread' along each row.
Also, it was the first time that I used 'borders' / edging.
I couldn't understand the instructions in the 'original' pattern, so I tried to find a more understandable (shell) pattern, but I adapted it a little. The original pattern called for skipping two stitches between two adjoining shells. I thought this made the shells too far apart, so I skipped only one.

What I would do different next time (long and rambling):
- Probably use thicker thread (though they are quite capable now, I think it looks nicer)

- In addition to that, use a larger hook. I now used a 3.5 hook, and towards the end, I found that the potholders didn't grow fast enough.

- Use a different 'way of working' for the border. I nowused the dark blue around all corners. Then did the shell-border at the low side, and then I had to start 'again' for the 'hook' on the top. Next time, I think it would be better to do the 'bottom' first, then do one side, then do the 'top' and finally do the last side.
However, if anyone has better ideas, I am all ears.

- Change colour after two rows instead of one (so the individual colours look better individually). If you look in close-up, you can see that no colour can really 'show; itself. I think that from a distance they would still look nice, but from close up they would look nicer.

Ah well, my mother-in-law was very happy with them , and they were put to good use during Christmas (so everyone could get a good look at them).

TLW
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012 03:59:50 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

No interesting signature yet........
soulcrochet
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007 11:43:10 AM »

those are pretty darn cute.. i need potholders... Cheesy.. wanna be my daughter in law??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatyerhartout
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007 11:52:33 AM »

These are really nice. Potholders or hotpads are what most people call them. They're very beautiful. I love the use of 3 colors and the border. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
bettflow
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007 06:21:45 PM »

VERY NICE!!!  Can't ever have enough hotpads:)))

Hugs,
Betty
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TLW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007 07:30:42 AM »

Thank you all very much for your positive comments.

They were used over Christmas (my MIL was really in need of a new pair), and the stains on them filled me with even more pride: I made something actually usefull.
Now, of course, they can be ruined by washing them. But that will make a good story (and maybe an excuse to make a new pair).

And soulcrochet, my current MIL is more than sufficient (meant in the most positive way possible) . But if I happen to need more in the future, you are on the top of the list :-)

TLW

THIS ROCKS   Logged

No interesting signature yet........
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Superhero Origins: Banshee
Comic Con - Damaged - Sam Worthington Interview
How to Drew a Picture Book
Superhero Origins: Havok
The Origins of Popeye
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...