A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: white kittyville hat -- a bit image-y. My 1st knitted in round project :)  (Read 1218 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BionicPassenger

Madame Mustache, modern-day pirate extraordinaire.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2007 08:53:59 PM »

This is the first hat I ever knitted, and also the first thing I have ever knitted in the round. SnB is probably one of the most exciting knitting books I've read, because the patterns make it easy for me to learn new techniques as I go along. I love both the lightbulb that goes off above my head when I figure something out in the book AND the finished project. The directions were surprisingly easy to follow, once I stopped trying to complicate things.  Smiley

I used a couple skeins of Bernat Cashmere Natural Blends in white that I picked up at Michael's for $3.99 apiece rather than the more expensive yarn recommended in the book, and size 9 circular needles (needled to obtain gauge).

I really like the way it turned out, though if I had to do it over, I would probably have made the ears closer to the front (they're not really visible from the front unless I wear the hat a certain way). I may also make some flowers or animals and use snaps to make them detachable to liven it up.

Oh, and a disclaimer. I'm not really photogenic, so excuse the weird expressions on my face in photos below:

Me wearing the hat

Better view of the ears

Side view

Top view

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- As the unholy offspring of Genghis Khan and his bookish 4th mistress, I have the rather disconcerting habit of screaming KHAAAN!!!! intermittently while knitting and crafting.
theaveragedream

beware of those who dislike cats

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007 09:15:20 PM »

That is so cute. Wow, I want it.

You did an amazingly clean and awesome job on your first in-round project. Way to go!

JOA
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BionicPassenger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007 09:35:39 PM »

Thanks! A long experience of working with fabric has rendered me surprisingly capable at manipulating yarn and needles...I picked up knitting better than I thought I would. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- As the unholy offspring of Genghis Khan and his bookish 4th mistress, I have the rather disconcerting habit of screaming KHAAAN!!!! intermittently while knitting and crafting.
neko neko kitty
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007 11:42:04 PM »

I love your version of Kittyville! You did a great job on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazypills
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007 12:43:29 AM »

aww! i love it. and great job on your first hat in knitting in the round project! i'm still a beginner and have been longing to move on to hats. you've given me hope!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BionicPassenger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008 12:33:33 AM »

Thanks a lot! I was ridiculously proud of this hat. I made all of my students praise it. Smiley

P.S. Don't worry - I'm not warping young kids with my need for ego stroking - I'm a college tutor! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...