A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,852
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Alien facehugger bag charm (or brooch, key fob, magnet, fridgie, etc.)  (Read 8557 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , alien  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ax174
« on: December 27, 2007 02:40:06 PM »

I drew a picture of what I think is a chubby, cute Alien facehugger, then tried to crochet it for a bag charm (or keychain, brooch, magnet - haven't decided yet).  Success!

This was totally easy.  I've written out general instructions so that you can change the size of the facehugger.

For the body: crochet a circle.

Make an air bag by making a crocheted scallop.   This is how I did it: in any stitch, sc.  In the next stitch: hdc, 2 dc, hdc.  In the next stitch, sc.

For the legs: slip stitch to where you want the first leg to be.  ch 4, turn, and slip stich back to the body.  Slip stich to the next stitch, and repeat. Remember to leave a space between legs 4 and 5.  Make 8 legs total.

Make another air bag.

Make the tail: ch 12.  Turn.  sc, sc decrease, sc, sc decrease, etc., until you get back to the body.  This will make the tail curl.  Fasten off and weave the yarn tail into the back.

Optional: I made another crocheted circle to sew to the underside, so that I could add a little scrap-yarn stuffing for a slightly puffy bag charm.

P.S.  Here's a link to another Craftster's project: a full-sized knitted facehugger!

------------------
ETA:

Another facehugger, more like the ones in the movies.

Here, doggy, doggy.

Inevitable.

Awww, Alien drone has a little dolly.

For this second one, I modified the pattern by adding longer legs and a longer tail. Also, there's an extra round for the air bags - it's the same sequence of stitches, just piled on top of each other. I originally did one round for the airbags, but after doing the legs, the air bags looked small, so I added the second round.

It was big enough to need more shaping, so I added a top piece:

Ch 12. Turn.

In first stitch, sc, 2 hdc, sc. In the top loops only, dc to the second last stitch.

sc, 2 hdc, sc in the last stitch. Do not turn (just rotate the piece).

In the "bottom loop" only (i.e. the other half of the loop that you haven't crocheted into yet), dc to the end and sl-st to join with the first stitch.

Stuff lightly, and sew this piece to the top of the facehugger.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007 08:36:54 AM by ax174 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Barefoot-Gardener
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007 02:54:49 PM »

Ummm, what is an alien facehugger? It sounds a little scary. Looks cool, but sounds scary. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gnathalie2
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007 02:56:20 PM »

Well, now that's just cute!  Although i have to admit, before i read the subject line i thought it was a scorpion!!  Super cool regardless!!!
Nathalie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

make today a positive one!
www.gnathalie2.wordpress.com
ugliducklyn
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007 03:03:28 PM »

I love this!  Such a great idea, and I know several people who will be getting this! Thank you!  Does this mean you have watched the new movie?  Or are you just a fan?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ax174
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007 03:17:27 PM »

I love this!  Such a great idea, and I know several people who will be getting this! Thank you!  Does this mean you have watched the new movie?  Or are you just a fan?

I'm a fan, so the new movie is on my list of must-sees for the new year.  OT, but have you seen the new movie?  Was it any good?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ax174
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007 03:20:56 PM »

Ummm, what is an alien facehugger? It sounds a little scary. Looks cool, but sounds scary. Cheesy

It's from the movie series, which started with Alien.  There's a picture of the facehugger in action, here (scroll to the middle of the page).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HotGlueGuy
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007 05:01:07 PM »

Ok, thats just kick ass!  well done.

I need to learn how to crochet fast, because I now know what I'm putting in Easter Eggs this year!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ugliducklyn
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007 01:17:49 AM »

Yep, I saw the movie Xmas day!  I really enjoyed it, and so did the little screaming kids in the front row!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007 01:39:40 AM »

ip! Love it love it loveit!!! And you publish you pattern here. Youre a crohet genius and generous! Thank you a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
xstarsprinklesx
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010 11:32:22 AM »

This is awesome! =) I just featured it in my weekly column on Fandomania:

Fandomestic: 10 Tributes to the Alien Franchise
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Celeste =)
Fandomania.com (Look for my weekly fandom/geeky crafts column on Thursdays!)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grab A Blowout At A Blow Dry Bar
How to Get Beach-Ready Waves in 4 Simple Steps
How to Do Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen-Style Hair
10 Frizz-Busting Products to Get You Through Summer
Teresa Giudice Explains Milania Hair Care
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...