A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chocolate Balls (heh!)--With How-To!  (Read 10378 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2007 12:59:38 PM »

I say "how-to" because it's so easy that I felt funny calling it a recipe.  Also, call me juvenile, but at the age of 29, the word "balls" still makes me giggle.  Moving on........  I call these chocolate balls, but some people call them "White Trash Truffles".  I take issue with that, because what the heck is white trash about oreos, cream cheese, or chocolate chips?

Here's what you need: Regular size package of Oreos (15 oz?-3 sleeves), 8 oz. package of softened cream cheese, medium size package of chocolate chips (1 lb, I believe):

Using a mini-chopper, food processor, blender, whatever, smash the crap out of all of the oreos.  For real.  There shouldn't be any white part visible when you're done (every time I make these and I get to the part where there's no white stuff left in the oreo crumbs, I think "how mysterious......").  Anyway, toss that in on top of your softened cream cheese, like so:

Using your hands, mix those 2 things up until you have a dough, like this:

Next, make 1-inch balls with the dough.  I use a foil covered pan to put them on cause it makes for easier clean up.  Now, you have this:

Refrigerate those for an hour.

Melt your chocolate chips.  You can use a double boiler, but I used the microwave method given on the back of the bag.  Roll each ball in the melted chocolate till it's completely covered, then place it back on your pan.  When they're all done, refrigerate for another hour.

Then, you have this:

I ended up with 45 total, but the kiddies had already gotten to them before I artfully arranged them to take a picture.

The inside of one:

\

You will not BELIEVE how good these are!!!!  Store them in the refrigerator and take them out right before serving.  You can also just eat them straight out of the refrigerator.  That's a personal preference thing.  On a side note, I packed some up for my husband to take to work and he was in a rush and forgot them.  I called him, specifically so I could ask "Hey, did you know you forgot your BALLS???" and then laugh like an idiot.

Also, maybe people call them "White Trash Truffles" because your nails look like this when you're done:

Try them!!!  They're super easy and sooooo sooooo good!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
WYOKrista

I love sunflowers

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007 01:02:48 PM »

those look really good, and thanks for the very entertaining how to, I will have to make those some day, thanks for sharing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YES! I would love to be your Creative Memories Consultant! Just ask
KissieDumb
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007 01:10:05 PM »

You are so talented and even make a better story teller!  I was laughing so hard at you side note...It's something I would totally say too!  Love the nails pic too!  It was fun to read and I know I can tackle this project.  Thanks so much for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ViciousEdge
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007 01:19:37 PM »

Mmmm.... balls. I'm going to make these! They look so scrumptious.

Thank you for a very informative and entertaining "how-to"!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay!
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007 01:22:24 PM »

Want a little more entertainment?  This is how I look when I think the "how mysterious....." part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
Whilow

Addicted to Swap Galleries.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007 01:44:36 PM »

I've had these before ... they are very good.  I will have to add these to my Christmas candies along with Martha Washington Balls and peanut butter balls. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life beats down and crushes the soul, and art reminds you that you have one.
~Stella Adler~

Sing as if no one is listening.  Dance as if no one is watching.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Jamieee
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007 02:23:11 PM »

We make those all the time, I love them so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyingtolive
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007 12:16:01 PM »

Those look so yummy!  I just bookmarked this!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007 01:04:20 PM »

Oh, hey, just to let everyone know--these are really easy to tailor to holidays and stuff.  I've done them for Halloween and instead of dipping in semisweet chocolate, I dipped them in white chocolate and then used those food color pens to draw irises and veins on them so they looked like bloody eyeballs.  The kids at that Halloween party thought they were the shizz.  You could also make them look like Christmas ornaments, or make them more egg shaped for Easter, decorate them like tiny pumpkins, etc, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hejin
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007 06:27:00 PM »

Hey, I already tried these out and they were great! My bro said they taste like Oreo cheesecake in a ball! Thanks for the recipe how-to!

P.S. I checked out the youtube link. We laughed ourselves breathless!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007 06:27:41 PM by hejin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Very Fuddles Christmas by Frans Vischer
Walk in Their Shoes: Can One Person Change the World?
A Great Game by Stephen J. Harper
Tim Conway: What Are You Reading?
Christy Haubegger: The Starting Line
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...