A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,871
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vintage sewing machine case to sketchbook: COMPLETE!!! (**VERY IMAGE HEAVY **)  (Read 28146 times)
Tags for this thread: journal_cover , sketchbook  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cassette.

writer.photographer.artist.frustrated seamstress.

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2007 10:02:19 AM »

hey kids!

a story. some time ago, I happened upon an old hardcovered book called "girls' stories" with an appallingly cheerful cover. I ripped out the pages, and in true craftster style, sewed up a whole range of mixed papers, glued them in with dodgy seventies bedsheets as end"papers", and the book was re-born as a sketchbook.

needless to say, I took it everywhere (even to Paris, to the Louvre!) ...and I've since been forced to retire it, since I can't really fit anymore drawings in. however, after using a store-bought sketchbook again, I've started to miss the different papers, the whole character of the thing, and of course, people's astonishment that I've made the whole book myself. what can I say?  Roll Eyes

last night, I started on the new sketchbook. a new year and a new start, I guess!

I'll post pictures when I can - but will tease you with the information that I have about five or six different pieces of ancient sewing machine case strewn about my floor ... and before you jump to any conclusions, it was going horribly mouldy before I started disembowelling it - no seamstresses (or antiques dealers) should be reaching for their scissors!

watch this space.

cassette.

PART 1: DECONSTRUCTION

A selection of images from the deconstruction process. Wish I'd taken some before I cut it all apart but believe me, the mould was extensive. The case was essentially a box, with layers of card, paper and a leathery outer layer. It had metallic elements to strengthen the outer edges and was stitched with a strong, probably waxed thread. However it had suffered over time (and from being left in my dank cellar) and the bottom of it was almost completely rotten, with a variety of beautiful colours of mould.

Firstly, some of the papers from the inside - I ripped these out and pinned them up on my beams to dry them out. I probably won't use these right now but will save them for other projects.

Just a selection to show you what kind of surfaces and textures I'm working with - and of course, the trusty stanley knife Smiley

The work area... and more tools. I've had to use the pliers (normally for jewellery-making) in order to extract studs, pins and close metallic joins. The hammer is smaller than your usual hammer and intended for paper crafts but it's been pretty good for knocking some sense into the metallic corners of the box, which you can see below left.

PART 2: RECONSTRUCTION??

Oh my! finally I've had the time to get back to this...

I've been collecting different papers for months in order to sew them into fat little signatures; but I'm not your common-or-garden "fancy paper" kid. I can't bring myself to spend money on lush thick paper for sketchbooks (seeing as... I have barely any money) and instead, I love to mix it up like this.

There's watercolour paper, cartridge paper, sugar paper, tracing paper, plain fabric, patterned fabric, magazine pages, plastic document wallets, and even a healthy bit of plastic bag thrown in there. Some pages I prepared with ink washes, but not many of them.

My stitching is haphazard at best, and my fingers will hurt forever.

...but it was worth using this fishing line to bind it all! found it on a beach some holidays ago, been making jewellery with it before but it seemed nice enough to use for this too.

and everything together... half-way through, when I decided it was best to retire to bed with a big cup of tea.

PART 3: LET'S GET OUR FINGERS FILTHY WITH PAINT NOW PLEASE

This has taken me a ridiculously long time.

The spine. I put D-rings in so that I could mess about with tying ribbons to the book and such.

Sort of a side view. shows the rusty lock on the front cover, I love it.

...and in case anyone was enormously curious, the back is here and looks like this.

I think I have already qualified as overweight in terms of photography. But gratuitous sketchbook images abound.

and because I made a pocket in the back... for all that sketchery gubbins... a shot of it in, er, "action".

---

finally! ...hope you like it. I'd love to get some feedback, as it's been pretty much a labour of love. feel free to share your sketchbook stories, too - I'll no doubt be posting more of mine.

speak to you soon!
cassette.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 05:33:44 PM by cassette. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
calluna
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008 05:26:17 PM »

Good luck with this project! 1/18: It turned out ooooh so gorgeous! Great paper inside, too. I "This Rocks"ed it.   Bravo! And I mean that as both "congratulations!" and "wow, you're brave!"

Have you posted your previous book--the "Girls Stories" one--anywhere? I'd love to see that "appallingly cheerful cover"!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 10:45:18 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
cassette.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008 09:36:41 AM »

Good luck with this project!

Have you posted your previous book--the "Girls Stories" one--anywhere? I'd love to see that "appallingly cheerful cover"!  Cheesy

hey thanks Smiley I just need to collect some more paper for it, somewhere around here I've got a stash of different papers but I can't seem to find them  Huh

I'll try and photo my "girls stories" book very soon... it'd be nice to see what people think of it (and some of the sketches inside  Tongue)

I promise I'll update soon!

cassette.x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008 04:14:00 PM »

Don't forget us Grin  I am very interested in the sewing machine book!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
cassette.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008 05:35:24 PM »

finally done! Smiley

cassette. x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tanna
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008 01:15:06 AM »

fantastic! i'm also collecting paper to make notitionblocks of, but this is also an awesome idea! turned out great!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008 05:14:30 AM by tot-n-met-t-bot » THIS ROCKS   Logged
suprasue

sahm and lovin' it

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008 07:27:20 PM »

amazing and inspirational....I like stuff that nobody else has...guess that's how I found Craftster...I definately am going to try to do something like this too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms Marple

Granny from birth!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008 11:31:35 PM »

That is inspirational!!!

I'm snooping around for ideas, want to make my first homemade sketchbook too....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassette.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008 05:02:17 AM »

fantaswtic! i'm also collecting paper to make notitonblocks of, but this is also an awesome idea! turned out great!

hullo tot-n-met-t-bot... it's probably a lot easier to make notation blocks? if that's what you're talking about... I used gaffa tape for the spine of this and I imagine it'd be a great alternative to book-binding tape when you just want little tear-out pages. and look out for accountancy paper - it's gold-dust!

amazing and inspirational....I like stuff that nobody else has...guess that's how I found Craftster...I definately am going to try to do something like this too!

heck yes Smiley glad you're inspired. a friend of mine said to me, "you won't mind being seen out with that then?" and I laughed because it's true. factory sketchbooks are lovely, but there's nothing like having to hammer down bits of metal to make you love your own one more. 

That is inspirational!!!

I'm snooping around for ideas, want to make my first homemade sketchbook too....

thanks Ms Marple! no doubt you'll find what you need just lying around... I only had to buy gaffa tape to make this. although if you want proper paper (and not plastic bag...) then it'd be worth investigating some art shops. sometimes you can get it wholesale and cut it yourself which is a bit cheaper in the long run. good luck!

same applies to anyone really... you will find what you need around the house. be careful hacking up mystery items! but as long as you know for sure it's okay, I'd say work away. there's nothing you can't fix with a bit of tape and waxed thread...!

speak to you soon!
cassette.x 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008 05:04:03 AM by cassette. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tanna
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008 05:13:45 AM »

fantastic! i'm also collecting paper to make notitionblocks of, but this is also an awesome idea! turned out great!
hullo tot-n-met-t-bot... it's probably a lot easier to make notation blocks? if that's what you're talking about... I used gaffa tape for the spine of this and I imagine it'd be a great alternative to book-binding tape when you just want little tear-out pages. and look out for accountancy paper - it's gold-dust!
yes, they are a lot easyier to make.
when i saw your project i was like, cool that is an awesome project for when i know more about how to do it Smiley, so thanks for the tips!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Last Minute Holiday Gift Ideas
How to Wash Your Face During the Winter
3 Moisturizers for Soft Sweet-Smelling Skin
Dita Von Teese Reveals Her Skin Care Secrets
How To Make Lip Gloss At Home
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...