A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,514
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Green" Christmas Tree?  (Read 494 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nagelbagel
« on: December 27, 2007 05:20:10 AM »

Ok - so I know Christmas is over and stuff, but I thought I'd ask while this is fresh on my mind. We try to be pretty environmentally concious in this house. We don't want a fake tree, because they contain polyvinyl chloride and lead. I'm on the fence about real trees - I understand there are some benefits, but I don't like how much pesticides and herbicides are used in the process. I realize I could buy a tree to plant, but since I don't own ACRES of land, I wouldn't have a place to put them after the first year or so!

So... just wondering if y'all have any alternative crafty ideas. I'm sorta thinking about making some kind of wire frame, and tying green fabric scraps on it or something. I would like something at least 5-6' tall, so it feels like a "real" tree - you know, something we can put presents under. This year we didn't have a tree at all, and I ended up not decorating anything because it just didn't feel right.

Anyway - all that blabbing to ask if anyone had any ideas or pictures they could show (yes, I searched and didn't find much). TIA!
Angi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bastet
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008 05:27:13 AM »

my dream of a "green-Tree" is a large pyramide instead.
Like this one (unfortunately in German) but includes pictures.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weihnachtspyramide

Thankfully my dad made me a pyramide-chandelier himself by wood-turning. It's great.

I had a wire-frame tree for years and it worked out quite well. I bought years ago. Only problem was: t was to small so I gave it away.

Another idea for a green tree is a fresian-tree. We use those for christmas and eastern. It looks like that:

http://www.creadoo.com/Content38167

and is pretty easy selfmade. Unfortunately this side is in German also but I figure you get an idea by looking at the picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamilyn
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008 05:53:23 AM »

I saw on one of the decorating shows over the holidays a cool idea. It was designed for a family with little storage space.

A telescoping hoop tree. (at least that's what I'd call it!)

It was made of concentric hoops, attached one to the other with ribbon. They collapsed for flat storage. A post was plastered into a pot and held the whole thing up through the center. The top smallest hoop at the top had ribbons that met in the middle allowing the post to create a "peak" at the top for the star! It actually was very cool looking when ornaments were hung from it. The one on the show had white lights attached to the hoops. But, you could handle the decorating however you wanted.

As for a potted tree that can be planted after the holidays are over....if you don't have space in your own yard to plant it, you could always donate it to a school, park, memorial garden....i'm sure there is someplace that would welcome a lovely tree! The recipient would benefit, the earth would benefit, and you would have the pleasure of remembering Christmas past each time you saw the tree and know you've done your part in being Green!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PrincessJasmine
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008 06:02:30 AM »

Buy a  real tree that is still in the pot, and when Christmas is over if you can't find anyone to donate to, you can probably post an ad on freecycle to get someone to take it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008 06:17:04 PM »

Buy a  real tree that is still in the pot, and when Christmas is over if you can't find anyone to donate to, you can probably post an ad on freecycle to get someone to take it.

This, too, would be my suggestion.  My stepmom does this, and it works out well.  She started a line of trees along her property line (scattering them, so they don't look funny--but still along the line).  However, she's given a few away, too.  And freecycle is awesome.  Be warned, though:  5-6' tall trees don't come in pots, generally; they've got big burlap sacks full of dirt, and their roots around them, and you may need to secure both a large pot, and a method of keeping the tree from tilting or tipping in it.  Upside: the sack is biodegradable, so as long as you cut it open, you can bury it with the tree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Showing Off New Features
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to View Thumbnail Metadata and Labeling
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Filmstrip View
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Lightbox and Thumbnail View
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing the Adobe Bridge
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...