A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Youngster at heart waving hello!  (Read 403 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tamilyn
« on: December 27, 2007 05:18:01 AM »

I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself here. I found this site late in November and have only posted a few times. There is SO much going on here! I love it, but, do find myself wandering around trying to find my way. Eventually I'll get it. LOL

I can't even remember how I found my way here! I think it was through a link when I was Googling something I saw on Craft Lab.

The one thing I have wondered about....is anybody here in their 40's? You all sound so young and fresh, I feel like an old coot trying to keep up with you! LOL I am so impressed by the skills, talent and chuztpah everybody here has! I've seen several things that have inspired me to "create" and can hardly wait for my family to return to work and school, leave me alone and let ME get to my hobbies!

And what are those, you ask? I dabble in just about everything. Sewing, fabric crafting, stain glass, just about anything that uses a hot glue gun (love that thing! hahaha), cross stitching and embroidery. But, as true crafter at heart, I will give just about anything a try. Lately, I have taken an interest in recon clothing. I haven't actually tried anything yet, but, the stuff I've seen here will definitely get me going on ASAP! And, I suppose, that is where I feel old. Clothing recon seems like something for the youngsters. I suppose I could make stuff for my girls. I have 3, aged 14, 19, 21. I live in southeast Michigan, in the burbs.

I love all things vintage and retro. Must be the draw to my childhood? LOL I'm sure by now you've also noticed my penchant to be long winded! So, anyway, I'm glad I found this site and know I will find the creative inspiration I've been seeking. Don't have any crafty friends around here. Is it them that needs a life or me?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007 05:23:14 AM by tamilyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007 05:51:25 AM »

Hi tamilyn!  There's loads of 40 and up on here, you just have to figure out who they are, everyone "sounds" young and hip. Cheesy  I can point you to a few if you need it, just send me a pm. Wink

Whereabouts in MI do you live?  I'm over by Flint.  You can stop on over to the MI board and check to see if anyone is near you - some of the members do meetups every now and again.  We had one in Lansing in the spring - that was fun!

Give a holler if you need any help,
Dawn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007 11:09:48 AM »

Hi! Welcome to Craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
tamilyn
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007 05:56:16 PM »

Thanks for the welcome! "I can point you to a few if you need it, just send me a pm. " Oh I don't really need to find them. It's better to just know folks for who they are rather than categorize them! Everyone does sound young and hip here! Maybe it will rub off on me!  ;)Won't my DDs be happy! Grin

I live in Farmington Hills. About an hours drive from Flint. I have popped in to the MI boards and will keep my eye on it for a meet someday! That would be fun. I'm also looking forward to a swap as soon as I can figure them out. Ha ha.

I've had time today to explore Craftster and I'm sure I'm driving my family nuts telling them of all I've seen done here. This is a great site and I can't wait to try my hand at some of the new ideas I've found. Craftster is just what this dusty crafter has needed to freshen up! Woohoo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cajaya
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007 06:49:25 PM »

I love vintage and retro to Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecobaltcat
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007 01:28:51 PM »

I'm in my "early to mid forties". (Gulp!) I'm so old that Home Ec was a required class in junior high (one year of cooking, one year of sewing). Boys had shop class. There wasn't any mixing of the genders. (I'm really dating myself here Shocked).

I dabble in just about everything, too. Currently I'm teaching myself to knit and crochet. I figure if I learn both at the same time, I won't prefer one over the other, although it seems I'm picking up knitting faster than crocheting.

I've done stained glass in the past, I dabble in mosaics, embroidery, jewelrymaking, sewing...OK I have crafter ADD!

I have lurked here for over a year and I just love the energy and creativity that flows from this site! It really motivates me to try new things even if they don't turn out right.

And sadly, what the young'uns here think is vintage and retro, I'm appalled when they post pictures of stuff that I grew up with, ha ha.

I think you'll like it here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamilyn
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007 05:39:38 AM »

Hi cobaltcat
(Gulp!) I'm so old that Home Ec was a required class in junior high (one year of cooking, one year of sewing). Boys had shop class. There wasn't any mixing of the genders. (I'm really dating myself here Shocked).
Me too! I made the most hideous brown polka dot maxi skirt. Remember those! Haha! the worst part was that we had to actually wear them to school as part of our grade. I was CERTAIN mine would fall apart at the seams leaving me naked. It didn't. I hated sewing then. Didn't come to love it until I was graduated from high school and wanted this gorgeous brown velvet set to wear to a company xmas party. Too expensive to purchase, so I made it myself. And have been sewing ever since.

I love the energy here too. It's been a busy holiday at my house and not much time to even find my way down to the "cellar studio." But, everybody here has me itching to get at it. Can't wait until the routine returns to my home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007 03:15:25 PM »

Hi Tamilyn. I'm 47 (how did that happen) so yes, there are people in thier 40s and up on this board. Welcome.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Montreal Steak Spice Recipe
Cajun Spice Rub Recipe
Maine Lobster Salad with Chef Andrew Masciangelo
Rib ‘n Chicken Spice Rub Recipe
How to make a Vegetable Egg Bake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...