A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
699 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a very diy wedding  (Read 22886 times)
Tags for this thread: garter_flask , favors  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

off_the_record
« on: December 26, 2007 09:27:50 PM »

My first post!

I got married on November 10th, my colors were green apple and chocolate. My mom and I put a lot of sweet diy action into it all and somehow pulled it off flawlessly. Grin

First off, I just got my bachelor's in graphic design this year so I HAD to do my own invites...let's just say I'm glad I'll never be making wedding invites again. (The color is really off in this picture) Gotta give my husband credit for rounding all the corners for me, what a sweetheart.

Here is my groom and I. I made the birdcage veil myself, it was pretty easy. I used less than a yard of french netting sewn to a toupee clip on each side. Covered the clips with white ribbon and beads, and used spin pins to further secure it. Here's where I got the netting -->
http://www.judithm.com under the millinery supplies section

Here are my bridesmaids, my mom made their dresses and boleros from a simplicity pattern. I can't remember the number, but it had a lot of 1's in it and I would NOT recommend it. She's been sewing all her life and the waist was just really awkward looking and too low. It gave her so much trouble when she tried to fix it. They turned out pretty cute though! (Even though we never had a fitting for one girl, she lives out of state) The brown satin ribbon trim around the bottom echoes the ribbon on my dress.

My mom made these ties for the groomsmen and ushers, to match the bridesmaids perfectly

These are the bulletins I made

These are the gifts I made for my bridesmaids, garter flasks! I made little pouches to hold the 2.5 oz flask. I just picked up some white garters from the local 'adult novelty' store Cheesy Put on a bow in their favorite color and wha-la! They loved them so much and everyone else was jealous!

Funny thing is, I can't figure out if that's her hand or not...

This isn't exactly crafty, but it's too awesome not to share! This is where the reception was, so we went with a movie vibe. Not a theme mind you, I didn't want to be too cheezy so I tried to do it a little more subtle...a vibe to be precise)  Roll Eyes

So this is how the movie vibe went. For favors we got each box of candy for 89 cents. Then I made tags with each guest's name on them, underneath their name was a movie title which indicated what table they were to sit at. We attached the tags with apple green ribbon to make it all purty and there you have it, a favor/seating card combo

So if 'Gone with the Wind' was on your box of candy, you sat here

I made the centerpieces out of 3 plates and 2 glasses glued with E6000. I got the idea from a tutorial in Bust magazine. Cupcakes are from Payless, we added the candy to the top. Everyone was raving about how delicious the cupcakes tasted...we got them from payless on sale for 50 cents each! So there's the centerpiece/wedding cake combo (I like to consolidate things). People took some of the centerpieces home and have since told me they've used them for 'fruit storage' it saves a lot of counter space. Someone else put evergreens and pine cones with Christmas lights for a holiday centerpiece. I've used mine for a fondue party, it was so cute with all the fruit and marshmallows stacked up.

We got our wine from a winery in my mother in law's hometown, they made personalized labels but we worked it out so they used my own design (instead of the cheezy clip art that was offered).

And lastly, this is one of our coolest wedding gifts from my very crafty uncle. He scrapped together a neon sign of our initials!

But I have to say, when you're taking on a ton of diy projects for your wedding, DELEGATE! I wouldn't have been able to do this all myself. I got a lot of help from family. My brother and his wife picked up the cupcakes, put the candies on and set them up on the tables right before the reception. My sister in law and mother in law assembled the candy favors, and some other friends set them up in alphabetical order for us. It was a whole family affair setting up the night before and taking everything down that night.

EDIT--->link to veil tutorial http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=262101.msg2939208#msg2939208

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008 08:30:43 AM by off_the_record » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions." -Chuck Palahniuk

http://offthrecord.blogspot.com/
www.offtherecord.etsy.com
kaitopenguin
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007 09:34:39 PM »

Wow, I'm completely impressed by everything you (and your family) did.  I love your color scheme, the matching dresses and ties, and I think the garter belt flasks are hilarious.  On a side note, I live in West Lafayette, and remember when the theater said that... Congratulations on a beautiful wedding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KissieDumb
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007 09:39:35 PM »

Just beautiful!  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allyinthevalley
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007 10:03:25 PM »

What a brilliant wedding! It looks like so much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007 10:13:59 PM »

Congrats on a gorgeous DIY wedding!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaachan
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007 10:21:32 PM »

Oh my lord.

That is gorgeous!!

I love everything!!

The colours are amazing and the attention to detail is incredible!

I especially love the cupcake towers.

I know you said you'll never do it again and after two weddings (same guy- two countries) I swear I'm never getting married again but I may just have to head over to West Lafayette if I ever do feel the urge to be a bride again!!  Grin

I hope you found a great job that makes the most of your skills.

And Congratulations on your marriage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007 10:25:23 PM »

everything looks so elegant and professional*  u look so gorgous wifee!!  those colors are awesome 2gether!!

Wink

u and mom get gold stars *********
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
off_the_record
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007 10:26:05 PM »

Thank you so much everyone!!!
and kaitopenguin, that's so funny you saw the sign that night!   Grin What a small world
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions." -Chuck Palahniuk

http://offthrecord.blogspot.com/
www.offtherecord.etsy.com
Kiwi Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007 03:47:11 AM »

How lovely! The colours are perfect, I love everything about your wedding! Especially the theme and the candy and the decoration and oh my, that really is everything, isn't it? Grin You look absolutely radiant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Mighty Boosh <3
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007 05:43:30 AM »

This is the first wedding EVER in my lifetime that I would say I would want for myself.   I am allergic to wedding to planning so I ran off to Vegas.  But I would have stuck around for a wedding like this. 

Congrats to you and the rest of the craft team!  And of course, congrats to the happy couple!

boo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Deal or No Deal?: Anthony Eats America Ep. 3 - Deleted Scene
How to Make Oyster Stuffing
How to Make Corn Maque Choux
Apple and Ham Eggs Benedict Recipe
The Missing Black Chefs
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...