A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 305,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tattoo inspired rain boots  (Read 6122 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KissieDumb
« on: December 26, 2007 12:36:25 PM »

I want to recreate this rain boot

I'm not too sure which paints would hold up on rubber and rain.  Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007 12:42:27 PM »

Awesome!  As for paint, first find out if the boot you're going to paint is actually rubber (a natural product made from plants) or some kind of plastic or vinyl.  It's plastic of vinyl you might be able to find a primer that will adhere to it onto which you can paint with acrylic or latex paint.  I think the biggest difficulty will be finding something to hold up the the flexing and stretching of the substrate w/o cracking and giving a place for water to get underneath and start destroying your work.  I wonder if the Krylon spray paint for plastics would work?  You'd not be able to brush it on, but could do stencils.  Would a model building paint of some sort be good for this?  You could likely airbrush that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KissieDumb
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007 12:58:41 PM »

TheMistressT " I think the biggest difficulty will be finding something to hold up the the flexing and stretching of the substrate w/o cracking and giving a place for water to get underneath and start destroying your work. "
What a smart cookie you are, I didn't even think about that.  I wanted a boot w/ a shiny finish.  I'll have to now check out the type of material.  I was just going to do a few flash tattoo objects like where my rolled up jeans could show it off.  Maybe I 'll just do one at the front of the boot. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
merricat17
Strange Grounds

Strange Grounds Coffee, 1417 S Broadway, Denver CO

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007 01:20:49 PM »

maybe speedball silkscreen inks?  those things are amazing.  ive been meaning to try them out on vinyl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
darkdaughter

Y tu mama tambien.

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007 02:06:39 PM »

I think the biggest difficulty will be finding something to hold up the the flexing and stretching of the substrate w/o cracking and giving a place for water to get underneath and start destroying your work. 

Acrylic medium for fabrics makes acrylic paints flexible. It's not just for fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears. -Edgar Allen Poe

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. -Nietzsche

I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. -Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007 02:13:10 PM »

Everyone has such good ideas!  That's what so great about craftster... the benefit of the experience of thousands of helpful people!  After reading these I got to wondering about the vinyl signs that you can have made for business vehicles.  That stuff is definitely weather resistant.  What about other sticker-type things?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darkdaughter

Y tu mama tambien.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007 02:27:36 PM »

Puff paints. They are flexible and water-resistant. I almost smacked myself on the forehead when that thought occurred. I use them like regular paint ... squeeze some out on a paper plate and use brushes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears. -Edgar Allen Poe

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. -Nietzsche

I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. -Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
olive_juice
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007 02:44:03 PM »

I have no suggestions, but i wanted to say Hey I have those boots! In pink!
They're fantastic!
:.D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
KissieDumb
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007 02:45:08 PM »

Puff paints. They are flexible and water-resistant. I almost smacked myself on the forehead when that thought occurred. I use them like regular paint ... squeeze some out on a paper plate and use brushes.
Good Idea...I never thought of using them on a brush. when I was in highschool...now I'm aging my self... puffy paint was so popular. IT was puffy though so I didn't know where you were going with it.  I have acrylic paint somewhere...I was painting for my husband when a bit got on my sleeve and I couldn't wash it off. maybe that could work.b i's that what you were talking about in the earlier post?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KissieDumb
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007 02:53:57 PM »

I have no suggestions, but i wanted to say Hey I have those boots! In pink!
They're fantastic!
:.D

HA!  I wanted the purple ones or these blue ones....I dropped hints like crazy...for Xmas.  My husband thinks I can do anything so he suggested I just make my own.  I'm going to take that like a compliment. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peripheral Vision 001: Eric Staller
Sandcastle World Championships
Tactile Pleasure in the Work of Judith Scott
Incredible Lifelike Human Statues
Lifelike Masks Created From DNA
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...