A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do you store your stash & supplies in?  (Read 2344 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MopTopStumptown
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007 06:27:01 PM »

I really like my yarn in open baskets, in case it gets lonely I can stop by and stroke it. Wink

*laughing*  That's part of the reason why I want my yarn in a tall bookcase with a glass door... catproof, beautiful to look at, and I could touch it anytime I want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

btrsweet07
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007 03:19:35 AM »

I just recently bought some decorated nesting boxes, so I keep my yarn for the projects I have on the needles in these along with my needles in the smaller box, and then I have 5 large rubbermaid crates full of stashed yarn that I'll have to go through and figure out what to make with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007 06:19:00 PM »

if anyones looking for plastic totes to store their yarn in, target has great deals this week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

keldan
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007 06:58:26 PM »

I've found that a department store tie box is a perfect and inexpensive needle storage device.  I inherited my needles from my mom.  I keep them in the same Wanamaker's cardboard tie box that she did.  My yarn is in a bunch of places. Wooden trunk, wicker basket and cardboard boxes under the bed.  Has anyone heard if wool should be stored in special places to avoid damage?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008 07:35:55 AM »

I keep my yarn in 3 under bed storage bins (Sterlite and Rubbermade...rubbermaid is better made than Sterlite, lasts longer) as well as in one large sippered knitting bag and several hat boxes of various sizes (they came nested). 

Have tried storing my circs in a hat box, but it becomes a tangled mess.  Have also tried storing the circs in a CD holder (a small one, held 12 cds), that worked better. 

I store my straights and dpns as well as other notions in a fishing tackle box...clear plastic, fairly shallow, got it from Wally World.  I keep my dps grouped together with hair bands rather than rubber bands because rubber bands deteriorate so fast. 

But my best storage hint is using my local yarn merchants as my off-site storage facility!  They always have fabulous yarns in current colors and styles and I do not have to worry about pets, dirt/dust, or moths.  I also find that if I purchase yarn without a specific project, it sits around for years and I have trouble matching it for color (or worse yet, extra yarn if needed for a project).

Anne (aka SewNutzz, who has an entire room devoted to fabric storage!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goneknitsup
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008 07:54:08 AM »

My supplies are in two shallow plastic lidded boxes from IKEA that live under my bed. Yarn is in carrier bags (organised into Aran, DK, 4-ply and Novelty- what a "Monica"!), needles are (thus far- it might be awkward if I buy any more, but I always seem to work within a fairly narrow gauge range) in a needle roll that was free with a magazine, and circs, DPNs, stitch holders and other things that don't fit in a needle roll go in a handbag I wasn't using (solving problem of what to do with handbag- I'm a bit of a bag hag!). I keep the circs  and DPNs in their little packets- otherwise, I wouldn't know what size they were! Magazines and knitting books go under there too.

Oddly, nothing else in my flat is this tidy or organised...  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeyd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

warning: do not eat your fortune.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008 09:43:41 AM »

hey!!

i needed to pop in here, because this is what my month off from school is dedicated to.  now i don't have a very large stash, but i have a very small room in proportion to my stash, so i decided that if i could find a way to organize everything so it's in a compact location, but where i still ALWAYS knew what i had i'd be in business.

hence the yarn cards have been born.

i just hopped onto illustrator and made 2 different 4x6 index card type of things where i can print them out on cards stock and throw them into an index card box.  simple, space efficient and who doesn't want to spend an entire weekend sorting through their stash??

so i've uploaded both of them onto my tcg site:

http://honeyd.50webs.com/crafts/yarncard.pdf - for the yarn version
http://honeyd.50webs.com/crafts/fibercard.pdf - for the fiber version (i'm a spinner too!)

all i ask is don't change or re-distribute these.  personal use only!

i hope it helps someone!

<3 melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stripey_cat
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008 06:12:12 AM »

I've just splashed out on 8 80L plastic storage boxes (the kind with clip-on lids) in the sales.  I'm hoping that they'll help with the yarn stash, the spinning fibre stash, and maybe even some of the fabric stash (the mothable bits at least).  I don't like open baskets - they look lovely, but the dust gets into the skeins and they fade in the sun.  I'm lining one wall of my sewing room with a deep, ceiling-high cupboard which should take all the tubs plus my spinning wheel, and loose fabric, embroidery threads and notions can go on the top shelf in smaller boxes.

K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008 11:27:40 AM »

targets having another good sale this week. $4.44 for an 18 gallon rubbermaid tote.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovefindslove
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008 01:14:34 PM »

look at storage options at Bed Bath and Beyond, which is where i got these.
they have tons of ideas Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop Tutorial -Toning & Burning
Simulate Acrylic or Oil Portrait in Photoshop
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 3a
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 2c
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 1c
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...