A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,911
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do you store your stash & supplies in?  (Read 2349 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bustergordon
« on: December 25, 2007 09:02:56 PM »

I'm sure this has already been discussed ad nauseum, but I'm a newbie to knitting and I'm looking for a good way to store all of the yarn I've already accumulated, plus the needles in every shape and size that I seem to pick up for each project.  Right now, I've just got a corner of a spare bedroom with bags and bags of stuff heaped up.  I'd prefer something a bit more organized.

So...what are you storing your stash in?

Thanks!

-kristina
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missknitty
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007 07:06:57 AM »

I've got an Expedit shelf from Ikea with 'matching' boxes - stuffed to the brim with yarn and books. I love it. I think it depends a little on how much space you have and where you can put your storage solution. Some people use rubber maid, plastic bags (those SpaceBags would probably work great for yarn, too). Just ponder where you'd like to store it, and then look for storage soultion for that area. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jadzy

a.k.a. Jadzeea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007 08:33:57 AM »

I have a lot of my yarn in baskets without tall handles that I can pile in the corner and still admire the yarn in them.  I also have a bookshelf in that corner stuffed full of yarn.  Of course that corner is quite full, so I also have yarn stuffed in boxes and totes around the house.  I keep my extra needles and notions in one of those clear drawer shelving units.  And I have my Options needle set bag that goes with my everywhere with all the items I need all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blueeyes1084
~Amber~

My husbands favorite color is blond..

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007 02:30:12 PM »

I just use a giant rubbermaid container - sort the yarns by color.

My goal is to get a giant old fashioned toy chest to store the yarns in! =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you~

There's one good thing about making mistakes..... you learn great lessons from them!
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007 03:47:13 PM »

I love having translucent or clear containers in medium sizes so I can see what's in them without digging too much. Smiley  I have 5 small plastic tubs, one of them is Snapware (Christmas gift), so there are layers w/ easy access (just right for skeins from the ball winder). Smiley 

I also like to use sweater bags from the Dollar Tree (they don't sell online, but there is a store locator).  I think they're a good size to make 2 layers of yarn--just right for looking at without digging through the bag.  These bags can be manipulated to lay nicely on top of each other or squished to fit, which is great for the shelf some of my stash lives on.

My newest place for my stash is a wicker seat with a flip-top cushion & bag inside from Tuesday Morning. Smiley

ETA: piccies!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007 02:42:38 AM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007 07:43:26 AM »

Boxes.  Many, many boxes.  And a few bags.

I need storage ideas too. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cynlynn

Honey, milk doesn't come from chickens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007 07:48:07 AM »

i use an old cedar chest to keep most of my yarn in..i use a tall vase to hold my needles. and of course i have about a million balls of yarn floating around the house ..I also keep an emergency bag of yarn and needles in my car..you never know when you're gonna be stuck somewhere:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/cynlynn
Personal Swap anyone?
Jadzy

a.k.a. Jadzeea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007 08:57:00 AM »

A little messy because I had just pulled a bunch of yarn out for christmas projects, but this is my prettiest yarn corner Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hyspirit
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007 08:59:00 AM »

I had the same problem for the longest time. but I got a really big bin but its thin enough to fit under my bed when not in use. Then from there I use my super amazing organizational skills. they also have needle holders( they hang off of a hook) at like Joann's they range from 15-30 bucks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He smells good, he really does! He smells like root beer.
bustergordon
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007 09:07:56 AM »

Lots of good ideas here...thanks!  I have a storage chest that unbelievably is empty right now...I may claim it before hubby realizes what is going on. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2014 SAG Awards Red Carpet
Amy Adams Is Pretty in Pink at Critics Choice Movie Awards 2014
Best and Worst Dressed: Critics Choice Movie Awards 2014
Margot Robbie Rocks Black Pant Suit at Critics Choice Movie Awards
Boxy Coats for Every Body Type
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...