A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How did it go? Reactions to presents?  (Read 1894 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Germanica

Martha Stewart powers - ACTIVATE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007 08:35:23 PM »

For a dog sport gift exchange I made 3 fleece dog blankets and personalized each blanket by needlepointing each dog's name on a bone-shaped applique. My gift exchange partner raved about how I took the time to personalize each blanket. Whew! I was a little worried about the blankets because it was my first applique project. She also liked the picture frame I decorated for her with dog paw bottle caps.

For my husband, I framed out 2 old ceiling tiles from the church we were married in. He loved it! Especially since family has been going to that church for over 200 years, so it meant a lot to him.

Oh, and I made a fleece blanket for my dog. He didn't say much about it, but he did curl up on it for a big chunk of the day so I guess that means he likes it Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Condo Blues http://condo-blues.blogspot.com/ Green living, crafts, decor and dogs from the Frugal Green DIY Diva.

Lazy Budget Chef http://lazybudgetchef.blogspot.com Real food, real quick, for real budgets

Follow me on Twitter! @condoblues
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

Shhhhh.... I'm using glue!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007 11:51:17 PM »

My sister liked her gifts. I made her a blue fleece and blue corduroy scoodie and a crocheted fuzzy blue coffee cozy (since she stops for coffee every morning before work).
Hubby like his black coffee cozy and tried it out immediately.
My one nephew loved his scoodie (my sister brought pictures with her for me to see his reaction) and the other 5 nieces and nephews haven't received theirs yet.
My little girl liked her leg warmers and all my kids love their scoodies. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spring semester is kicking my butt.
subdefective
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007 12:17:57 AM »

The only handmade gifts I did were a clock made from a cymbal for my dad and a cheese-serving set for his girlfriend. They both seemed to really appreciate the work and effort put into them, but the reactions to the presents themselves were lukewarm. Oh well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure.
katchoo1
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007 03:06:42 AM »

I made a stocking stuffer by re-covering small candy boxes (someone gave out Russell stover 4-piece candy sets at work and I collected a few of the empties).  I re-covered them with scrapbook paper and used small pieces of the same paper to wrap some Hershey Nuggets and put them inside.  Everyone seemed to like them.

The gingerbread zombies I made using Ghilie's fabulous idea and tutorial were a huge hit.  They both have places of pride on work bulletin boards now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy shop:  http://lifeattherancho.etsy.com
I <heart> paper crafts!  PM me about private swaps...
starrygal
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007 06:11:54 AM »

Tis so good to hear all these crafty presents went down well Cheesy I feel sad I didn't really give any home made presents... unless you can count newspaper gifts bags (made from free newspapers scabbed in London) and a single paper bead bracelet... but they went down great Cheesy oh yeah and some earrings, haven't heard how they went down yet though  Undecided

And subdefective, they both sound like good presents to me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redheadedrowdy
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007 07:22:38 AM »

This was my first Christmas attempting to craft a large number of things and it definitely went well! (well, I didn't actually make a majority of them, but I embellished a lot of things)
I hand-painted shirts for my future BIL (Superman logo with his name "Nick" inside instead of the S because he loves Superman) and my stepdad, who has grown accustomed to receiving my silly shirts as presents and always loves them (this time it was "Natural Born Griller" with a picture of a grill). I used to stencil them but I have no patience for cutting out the stencil so I just wing it.
For my brother's gf, I covered a photo box with all kinds of cool magazine clippings and filled it with scrapbooking stuff from the dollar store - she currently keeps her scrapbooking supplies in a Target bag- she loved it.
My stepsister cried when she opened her gift. I painted a canvas bag to match a shirt I painted for her bridal shower (a little saying about her and her fiance) and ironed on her favorite engagement photo- inside the bag was a box I covered with special words and things about her upcoming wedding and I filled it with bridal emergency items- floss, hem tape, stain wipes, advil, q-tips, you get the idea.
My mom is the easiest to craft for because she loves everything I give her- I used/abused my resources at work (ad agency) and made her a calendar with all of our kitties' photos and a bookmark to go along with the Barnes & Noble membership I bought her.
I also did a sketch of my dad and his gf and put it in a Dollar Store frame (did a lot of shopping at Dollar Tree- love that place!) and they seemed very excited about it.
For the boyfriend, I only ended up crafting one thing-- took an old altoids tin and covered it with photos of him drumming/words about drumming and put his earplugs in it. He is ALWAYS forgetting/losing his earplugs when we go to his bands' gigs. :-P

Great Christmas and I feel really good about having personalized a lot of the gifts! Now I just have to start earlier next year so I'm not stressing out on Christmas Eve because I spilled red acrylic paint on the white rug!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007 05:27:35 PM »

It's great to see a thread about *good* reactions to handmade gifts.  The big thread documenting bad reactions is a little scary.

This was my first year crafting the majority of my gifts, and it went over so well!  I had some stress and anxiety leading up to Christmas, but everyone seemed honestly thrilled with what I made.  I think I will try to extend my crafting to everyone on the list next year - the people who didn't get crafted gifts (because I thought they would prefer something from the store) seemed a little disappointed this year.  I couldn't be happier with the response.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
rubytue
who could hang a name on me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007 10:10:50 AM »

The in-laws seemed to really like their hats.  My two SILs kept talking about how I managed to get perfect fabric for everyone!  My neice loved her socks, but the nephew didn't seem to care.  Then again, 6- and 4-year-old boys don't get too excited about clothing.   my step-sister and family also got hats and socks.  She sent me an email this morning that said they were great and I should make them to sell to kids speciality shops.  That has to be the best complement yet  Grin
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007 10:13:04 AM by rubytue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
slgn

Ma Cobb says, "Ni hao-wdy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007 10:36:06 AM »

Pretty good for me -- but I only crafted for the crafty part of the family.  Lesson well learned from past gift occassions, know thy audience

The crafting side of my family got cotton grocery bags; I made a variation of these: the Singlet Style Shopping Bag.  Mom, G'ma, Uncle & Mom's BF each got two, with specifically chosen fabric.  For example, Uncle got red outside w/chili peppers inside.  Sounds like they really liked them, which is the bonus.  I knew they would appreciate that I made them but at most I was hoping they'd find them useful.  Sounds like they were a hit. Yay!

I'm actually not a big Christmas person and have been trying to get the commercial, spend-crazy *cough*greedy*cough* (sorry, I must've had something in my throat Wink ) side of my family to slow down a bit for years.  This year they actually agreed with me... you could'a blown me over with a feather.  So with that side we actually gave to charities, exchanged cards, etc. (except still gifts to kids, I mean one college kid).  That allowed me to spend time making some neat cards and writing them individually.  This is not especially a craft-appreciative group but since the grocery bags went over well with the other folks, I think this side is getting them for birthdays in 2008. *Crossing fingers* that they like them too.

I agree, it's nice to see some positive responses to our work noted, to balance out that scary (multi-year) thread.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007 10:38:48 AM by slgn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." Wash, The Message (Firefly).
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pot Luck Cheese Platter
How to Make a Cheese Plate Extraordinaire
How to Make Gourmet Turkey Gravy
How to Make Bacon Part 2
How to Make Bacon Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...