A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn suggestion help! and first sweater jitters)  (Read 399 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artcat81

No Power in the 'Verse can stop me

View Profile WWW
« on: December 25, 2007 07:38:24 PM »

Ok, Christmas knitting is now behind me, except one important project, a sweater for a sweet and wonderful guy.  Interestingly we both saw the same sweater in Knit 'N Style Oct '07 and liked it, he then promptly shamelessly begged for me to make it ( damn his puppy dog eyes, I'm in a for a big project, he is 6'3" and an XXL).  Anyways, the pattern is the Cables Milano, it calls for Berroco Ultra Alpaca (gauge is 20s / 4"). 

It looks like a lovely but incredibly warm wool according to reviews I have read, if the sweater was for me I would leap in buy the yarn blindly and start knitting (I'm always cold).  The problem is even in winter he rarely wears more than a jacket, and we live in SW Texas.  I'm not expecting him to wear the sweater regularly, but I do not want him dying of heat exhaustion wearing it.  Are there any yarns that will show cabling well and breath a bit more than wool?   Or am I being overly cautious with my first sweater  jitters and the alpaca wool combo breaths well?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and wish me luck! I'm gonna have to math out a way to turn that cable crazy pattern into an xxxl Eeek!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down"   - Malcolm Reynolds- Firefly
"Normal is a failure of Potential" - Eli Stone
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007 09:18:38 PM »

Alpaca can be pretty warm, so you may want to try another yarn. There are several wool/cotton blends which will be lighter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
artcat81

No Power in the 'Verse can stop me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007 08:07:53 AM »

Thank you, that was what I was leaning towards, but wanted to check with others before I made a yarn purchase of that size, the pattern calls for 12 skeins, I think Im going to need closer to 13 or 14.... *sigh*  oh to be rich...

I was also considering a wool/ bamboo *(since the bamboo yarn breathers very well and is antimicrobial- so if he does sweat in it the smell would not be as bad) blend but thought that might have too much of a sheen to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down"   - Malcolm Reynolds- Firefly
"Normal is a failure of Potential" - Eli Stone
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use GIMP Freeware Image Editor
How to Convert Images Into Icons in Gimp
How to Make Animated Wallpapers in Gimp
How to Speed Up Videos Using Camtasia Studio
How to Create Water Droplets in Gimp
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...