A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,477
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn suggestion help! and first sweater jitters)  (Read 342 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artcat81

No Power in the 'Verse can stop me

View Profile WWW
« on: December 25, 2007 07:38:24 PM »

Ok, Christmas knitting is now behind me, except one important project, a sweater for a sweet and wonderful guy.  Interestingly we both saw the same sweater in Knit 'N Style Oct '07 and liked it, he then promptly shamelessly begged for me to make it ( damn his puppy dog eyes, I'm in a for a big project, he is 6'3" and an XXL).  Anyways, the pattern is the Cables Milano, it calls for Berroco Ultra Alpaca (gauge is 20s / 4"). 

It looks like a lovely but incredibly warm wool according to reviews I have read, if the sweater was for me I would leap in buy the yarn blindly and start knitting (I'm always cold).  The problem is even in winter he rarely wears more than a jacket, and we live in SW Texas.  I'm not expecting him to wear the sweater regularly, but I do not want him dying of heat exhaustion wearing it.  Are there any yarns that will show cabling well and breath a bit more than wool?   Or am I being overly cautious with my first sweater  jitters and the alpaca wool combo breaths well?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and wish me luck! I'm gonna have to math out a way to turn that cable crazy pattern into an xxxl Eeek!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down"   - Malcolm Reynolds- Firefly
"Normal is a failure of Potential" - Eli Stone
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007 09:18:38 PM »

Alpaca can be pretty warm, so you may want to try another yarn. There are several wool/cotton blends which will be lighter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
artcat81

No Power in the 'Verse can stop me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007 08:07:53 AM »

Thank you, that was what I was leaning towards, but wanted to check with others before I made a yarn purchase of that size, the pattern calls for 12 skeins, I think Im going to need closer to 13 or 14.... *sigh*  oh to be rich...

I was also considering a wool/ bamboo *(since the bamboo yarn breathers very well and is antimicrobial- so if he does sweat in it the smell would not be as bad) blend but thought that might have too much of a sheen to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down"   - Malcolm Reynolds- Firefly
"Normal is a failure of Potential" - Eli Stone
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Asian-Steamed Salmon Recipe
Asian-Style Poached Chicken Recipe
How to Make a Sriracha Side Dish with Bok Choy
A Tasty Sashimi Tuna Tostada Appetizer
How to Make Homemade Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...