A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Link from Zelda - first stenciled shirt NOW WITH STENCIL  (Read 3151 times)
Tags for this thread: shirt , zelda , nintendo , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2005 11:31:29 PM »

My boyfriend loves video games and one of his absolute favorite characters is Link from the Zelda games. I love making things. Soooo... I made him a stenciled t-shirt with Link on it as an anniversary/Christmas present.

Images are being resized somewhat so if you want to see it a little less pixel-ly and warped, go here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/wooleyduck/crafty/linkshirt1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/wooleyduck/crafty/linkshirt2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/wooleyduck/crafty/linkshirt3.jpg

I am so proud of myself because it turned out WAY better than I thought it would, especially after several mishaps.

My sister's in town and she helped me cut Link out (I was getting a cramp in my neck from looking down at it) and also helped me make sure the picture was centered. The paint matches the navy-ish blue on the shirt sleeves and that's totally my sister's doing because she can mix colors far better than I can.

I tried using hairspray to keep the stencil down but it was actually some kind of "hold spritz" or something (I don't know even know why it's in my bathroom closet) and it didn't work at all. Luckily, I happened to have some spray adhesive and that worked great.

A little bit of paint ran on the bottom of his tunic but I was able to cover it up with some detail work using a small brush.

I made the stencil from a picture I found through google, I think. Printed it onto cardstock, cut it, and painted with a sponge brush. It's kind of been heat set with a hair dryer because I was trying to make it dry faster, and I'm planning on probably ironing to set it again.

The boyfriend loves it.  Grin He just stared and laughed over and over and keeps asking me how I did it. He's talking about wearing it to MagFest and how his gamer friends will say "Dude, that's a cool shirt, where'd you get it?" He'll reply "Oh, my girlfriend made it." Hehe.

And due to popular demand, the stencil: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/wooleyduck/crafty/linkstencil.jpg

I'm not sure if I made any last minute adjustments to it before I printed it so you may want to make double check and make sure it will work before you use it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005 11:13:21 AM by quack » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheriffkarli
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005 02:41:00 PM »

whoa. amazing, i just love it! i'm a big link and zelda fan. would you by any chance post the stencil? i'd love to use it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
snlfreak83
Hemp Kitty Art

The Crafty Cat Lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005 11:34:47 PM »

That is super cute!!!!!  Grin I'm jealous. I dunno if I would have the patience to do something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafty kid. I just can't help myself.
DragonsMuse
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005 10:01:18 PM »

EEEEK! It's so cute. You used Wind Waker Link! It came out really great. My brother just bought that game and me and him have been playing well into the night. A lot of old school Link fans where not thrilled with the way Link looked in that game, but I think he's adorable. Could you maybe put up the stencil or picture you used?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now. -John Lennon
Wists
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005 11:19:57 AM »

My boyfriend actually didn't like the new Link style when he first saw it, thought it was too cartoony, but then he played the game (I think he preordered it about 6 months before the release despite the design) and ended up really, really liking it. I think that's been the case with a lot of people, actually.

I found that since it's more stylized it really works better for the stenciling stuff, and it's a lot easier to find good poses for stencils from the newer games.

The stencil address has been added to the first post, hopefully I didn't change anything before I printed because if I did it wasn't saved.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DeadGirl
I am the lemon zester of destruction!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005 06:47:18 PM »

Awesome! The Zelda games are the best!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julietfairsaint
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005 09:22:30 PM »

OH MY GOD! that rocks! i'm a huge gamer girl and i love the entire zelda series.  thats just amazing, mad props! thanks for the stencil too! when i make one i'll post it and see what you guys think but that is just soo cooool! you're an awesome girlfriend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadgirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

ndnchick

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005 10:34:10 PM »

My sons LOVES LINK!  He has never played the game though, he has only watched the cartoon.  (Birthday present from his uncle Cheesy )    I want to try this!  THANK YOU!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change the Color of Background Mat
How to Achieve vibrant photos.
How to Add a Photo to a Photoshop Template
How to Change a Photo
How to Change Magazine Template Title
Latest Blog Articles
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...