A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 306,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
341 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Santa brought me a sewing machine for Christmas  (Read 1223 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AredRouletteKiss
« on: December 25, 2007 05:06:05 PM »

Merry Christmas everyone!
I just got my very first sewing machine for Christmas and I am so excited to not have to drive to my aunt's house to use her sewing machine anymore.  Before I open the box though, I would like to know if it's a good machine or not.  I can't seem to find anything on here about it.

So has anyone ever owned or had experience with a Kenmore 15358?  Did you have a good experience or bad experience with it, and is it worth $100 or should I go for something else?

Here's a link to what I'm talking about:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02015358000P?vName=Appliances&cName=SewingMachines&Accessories&sName=Electronic%20Sewing%20Machines&psid=YAHOOSHOP01&sid=IDx20070921x00003b

Thanks so much Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists: http://www.wists.com/RenderedGypsy
myspace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=9110428

Hear the chimes,
did you know that the wind when it blows
It is older than Rome and all of this sorrow
~ Conor Oberst ~
jerryleetypes
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007 06:09:34 PM »

is it worth $100 or should I go for something else?

Thanks so much Smiley

It depends on the context of this question. Are you saying that $100 is a lot of money so the machine should be really good or are you saying that $100 isn't very much for a sewing machine and you're unsure of whether or not it's a good machine considering the low price? There have been quite a few threads on this board lately about "starter" machines. You may want to start there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007 07:27:04 PM »

My first machine was a Kenmore and I have been very happy with it.  Mine was not this model.  Mine had a four step buttonholer.  That was the only thing that I didn't like about it.  When I had to get a new machine that was the main feature I looked for.

So unless there are features that you feel you can live without that are not on this machine (like embroidery), I say hang on to it and have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
mushter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007 08:43:35 PM »

My first sewing machine was a kenmore similar to the one you have, didn't have as many stitches though.  After 7 years of constant use and abuse Wink it finally kicked the bucket.  I could have got at repaired, but I decided to get a new one.  Anyways, what I'm trying to say is I loved it.  It was a great starter machine.  I say keep it.  My new machine is a kenmore too.  I just got a more advanced model  to handle the amount of sewing I do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Weezawear.etsy.com: Baby, toddler, hippie style clothes and baby carriers designed and sewn by me.
foreversandals
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007 09:03:04 PM »

My Kenmore looks quite similar [mine just has a different way of choosing stitches and I'm not sure about stitch number]. I got it last September and I love it. It works very smooth and I haven't had any major issues. Most issues were my fault.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:
- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://www.wists.com/foreversandals
http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
blue1

Crafty Xicanista

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007 10:05:14 PM »

I got this exact same machine for Chanukah as my very first sewing machine and so far I am loving it.  I have a bit of experience with other brands and the quality of sewing machines and I think this is a great sewing machine for a starter, and I appreciate that it is not made of all plastic parts like I have seen on so many new models of machines.  My mom got me this machine because her first machine was a kenmore and she said it lasted forever and was really reliable, plus she wanted carry on the legacy.
In terms of price, I think it is pretty fair. I used to volunteer at a school in the sewing room and some of the new machines cost $200 and were crap. 

Have fun breaking in our machine and happy sewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anneland22
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007 10:09:18 PM »

kenmores can be very useful and sturdy machines. it looks like it has plenty of features to keep you busy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All The Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
Layin' In The Sun,
Talkin' 'Bout The Things
They Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda Done...
But All Those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All Ran Away And Hid
From One Little Did. -Shel Silverstein
dvance
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007 04:46:25 AM »

Kenmore has a good rep for appliances in general and their sewing machines have always been pretty good.  FWIW, my current machine is a Kenmore purchased about 10yrs ago.  Not the basic model (has a bunch of fancy stitches I never use), will trade them all for a needle-threader  Roll Eyes

Anyway, when I bought that machine I was told that it was made for Kenmore by Janome.  Not sure if all Kenmores are Janome but if so........ good deal.

Diana
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007 06:41:05 AM »

I have a Kenmore (not this model, but comparable), and I love it.  I had problems with it at first, but as one of the above posters said, they were my fault!  I'm sure I will upgrade eventually, but my current machine has been a great starter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
tamilyn
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007 10:48:33 AM »

I can't tell you much about your particular Kenmore. But, I have had a Kenmore for 10 years now. And, I LOVE it! Back when I got mine, Kenmore and Janome were made by the same company, not sure about that anymore. But Kenmores cost way less than their sister Janomes! Mine has touchpad controls and way more stitches than I ever need. It also gets a pretty good workout as I volunteer sew costuming for both a high school and a middle schoo"s theater companies. So. I'd have to agree to it's sturdiness. I've only taken it in once for a maintenance tune-up and then it was to the repair guy that sets up in my local Jo-Ann's. And, I only did that because I was getting ready to sew my daughter's prom dress after having just finished a huge costume project. I wanted to make sure the machine was in good shape before I started! I think you will find you like it just fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use an Off Camera Wireless Flash System
Nikon D700 Camera Review
Wide Angle Close Up Photography of Death Valley
Wide Angle Close-up Photography Techniques
Telephoto Photography Techniques with Don Gale
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...