A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Pants in an Hour (with kinda tutorial!)  (Read 10229 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chasmyn
« on: December 25, 2007 12:33:22 AM »

I had this fantastic idea that I was going to make my son some festive flannel holiday pants for Christmas - to wear on Christmas eve and on Christmas. He loves the pants that I make for him, so I thought it would be so adorable if I made him some little red ones with snowmen or reindeer or something. So into the fabric store we go, in search of holiday fabric with which to make him some cute holiday pants. And then we saw it - I didnt even know there was such a thing, but there it was, and there were TWO KINDS of it: the Thomas Holiday fabric. My son is OBSESSED with Thomas the Tank Engine. And it just so happened that they were on sale, buy one get one free, but only by the meter. And as it happens, it takes just under a meter of fabric to make my boy a pair of pants. So of course I bought a meter of each!

In less than two hours, I whipped up these two pairs of pants. Note that they are even lined with terrycloth for warmth and comfort (since they are not flannel as Id wanted). Kiernen was DELIGHTED with them, and will likely be wearing them for the next week straight. He even, for the first time in his little sweet life, said Thank you (well, he signed it to me). WORTH IT!

They are really simple to make, too:

Just find a pair of pants that fit well and fold them in half.

Fold your fabric in half and place the pants on the fabric. Trace around he pants, allowing for a seam allowance and also for the waist to be larger so it will fit over the hips.

Cut two of main fabric and two of lining, if you are using a lining - it is by no means necessary.

Again, if you are using a lining, place wrong sides together of lining and fabric, 1 of each piece. Sew these together with almost no border, sewing all the way around.

Hem bottom of legs - I fold it in about 1/4" and sew.

Then take both sewn pieces and place right sides together, sewing the top seams together (the crotch seams).

Then do the leg seams, making sure to reinforce the seam at the crotch.

Fold waist in about 1" and sew, leaving a 1/2" hole for elastic. To size elastic, take elastic and wrap it around original pair of pants at waist and cut. Thread elastic into waist and then sew elastic together.

Voila - pants!

Let me know if any part of my sorta tute doesn't make sense, or I forgot anything. Thanks - this is actually my first project that I've posted here, after years of reading and commenting on others' wonderful work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Astica
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007 06:27:25 AM »

My favourite line?
"Voila - pants!"

But that's AWESOME.

My boyfriend's best friend only ever became best friends with him because he had a name from that show (James). Boys can be so superficial when they're 4 years old  (and well, now too I guess XD depending). I had to laugh a little when I saw these!

And a thank-you too??? You're on a roll  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007 09:18:55 AM »

these are terrific! and I love your tute -- I spent so much time scratching my head over this tute at red current.com http://handyprojects.blogspot.com/2005/04/how-to-make-easy-kids-pants.html and yours is clearer about how to get the right fit ... Thank you! Great pants, sweet idea ... I made a couple pairs from the redcurrent.com tute yesterday but only got so far as the "draft" stage that I made from an old sheet -- because I couldn't figure out the fit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chasmyn
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007 09:20:00 AM »

Yay, I'm so glad it was helpful! I've never really done a tute before so I wasn't sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzy_fartzy68
"The best index to a person's character is (a) how he treats people who can't do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can't fight back." Abigail van Buren

Macaroni & Cheese

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007 03:06:37 PM »

Those are great! Your tutorial made perfect sense to me!
Smiley
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007 03:07:07 PM by artzy_fartzy68 - Reason: grammar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jacki, blog at http://mac-aroni-n-cheese.blogspot.com/ Check out what cool stuff I'm up to!
chasmyn
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007 11:15:34 PM »

Today i made pants and a shirt for my son's Waldorf doll that match his Thomas pants. I'll have to take a photo and show you - he was so delighted, it made him want to bring "bebe" everywhere with him. He kept saying, "Bebe pants," and "Bebe shewt (shirt)," and he proudly showed it to his Daddy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happyfrog
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008 08:47:26 AM »

nice job!  Smiley

noticed you mentioned your kid signs.  COOL!  Smiley

We're bilingual household here - ASL/English.  Smiley

BettyAnn

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.answeredprayers.aboutmybaby.com
mommy to three amazing children on earth!  Smiley
sgtbalderramawife
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008 09:35:52 AM »

Today i made pants and a shirt for my son's Waldorf doll that match his Thomas pants. I'll have to take a photo and show you - he was so delighted, it made him want to bring "bebe" everywhere with him. He kept saying, "Bebe pants," and "Bebe shewt (shirt)," and he proudly showed it to his Daddy.

I figure it was probably fairly easy, but how did you make clothes for his doll?  My son has a wolf that he will not sleep without and I thought it might be cool to dress him up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norahkate
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008 10:35:51 AM »

those are so cute!  i wish i had seen that fabric at christmas.  but i do have some plain thomas fabric and i just showed these to little man who is now demanding a pair of "pussy pants"
okay now, before anyone gets upset or offended...my brother-in-law gave him a thomas train set for christmas and just had to teach him that the other train's name is percy - unfortunately we don't say our "r"s well yet and it comes out sounding, clear as day, like something else entirely.  yikes  Embarrassed
good thing he's not in daycare anymore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for baby food jars (or other small jars with lids)
kaymadben
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008 07:38:55 PM »

How adorable. My son loves Thomas too. Thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can make dresses for your princess!

Wists: http://www.wists.com/skb
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind The Scenes With Courtney Love
LRIA Exhibition Pop Bang Art Timelapses
How Jimmy Gownley Draws Amelia
How to Draw a Sabertooth Tiger
How to Draw a Dodo Bird
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...