A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,857
Currently Running With Scissors:
806 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Home Made Marshmallows! with recipe  (Read 5299 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , marsh  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cazness
To design is to become.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 24, 2007 12:05:11 AM »

Well I'm really proud of myself that I actually made marshmallows from scratch. not many people I know would do this. But it was SO much fun!

Marshamllows setting in pan, was really annoying because I kept wanting to eat it! tasty! I got green food colouring and mixed it with a small bowl of the goo then swirled it in on top. I made them mint flavored so thats why i used green.

In the middle of cutting, really fun and sticky.

I used a cookie cutter, it was kinda annoying to do acutally.

Squares! They are so cute for some reason. hehe.

BASIC VANILLA MARSHMALLOWS

4 gelatin envelopes
3/4 water
1 Tbs vanilla extract (or substitute for another flavor like peppermint, or citrus)

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
1 1/4 cups corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt

rice flour
confectioners sugar

1. Line a 9 x 13 (8 x 8) pan and a loaf pan with parchment paper. Coat the paper with vegetable oil or non-stick spray.

2. Fit a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. In the mixer bowl combine the cup of water ( c plus 2 Tbs) with vanilla extract. Sprinkle the gelatin over the liquid to bloom (soften).

3. Add the sugar, salt, corn syrup, and remaining cup water ( c plus 2 Tbs) to a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil with the lid on and without stirring. When this mixture is at a boil, remove the lid and continue to cook without stirring until it reaches the soft-ball stage (234-240 F).

4. With the mixer at medium speed, pour all of the hot syrup slowly down the side of the bowl into the awaiting gelatin mixture. Be careful as the hot syrup is very liquid and hot at this point and some may splash out of the bowl - use a splashguard if you have one. When all of the syrup is added, bring the mixer up to full speed.

5. Whip until the mixture is very fluffy and stiff, about 8-10 minutes. Pour marshmallow into the parchment-lined pans and smooth with an oiled offset
spatula if necessary. Allow the mixture to sit, uncovered at room temp for 10 to 12 hours.

6. Mix equal parts rice flour and confectioners sugar and sift generously over the rested marshmallow slab. Turn the slab out onto a cutting board, peel off paper and dust with more sugar/starch mixture. Slice with a pizza cutter into desired shapes. Dip all cut edges in sugar/starch mixture and shake off excess powder.

7. Marshmallows will keep several weeks at room temp in an air-tight container.

Makes: A LOT of Marshmallows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

Shhhhh.... I'm using glue!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007 12:47:52 AM »

Ah! How cool! I have almost everything at home to make that, except the gelatin. Maybe the kids and I will make it next week- I bookmarked this. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spring semester is kicking my butt.
fashionruler
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007 12:55:55 AM »

Eee! I have to make some!
Those are possibly the cutest little marshmallows ever.
I'm not attending holiday celebrations with the family
so maybe tomorrow I'll spend the day making pretty green marshmallows
to send with everyone  Smiley
They look delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Store: http://LeHarle.etsy.com
Blog: http://harlejm.blogdrive.com

Proudly anti mini desserts.

Anything I've posted here can be remade for commission and some for swap. PM me with any questions or requests.
m8888888
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007 01:28:59 AM »

The star ones are SO cute, but I an imagine they'd be a pain. Do they taste basically the same as the store marshmallows that you get in a bag? Is the consistency the same? Yours look... maybe a teeny bit denser than store-bought ones (in a good way!). Mint marshmallows sound delicious!! I've had a recipe forever, and never got around to making them... this reminds me that I need to try it out. I love marshmallows! Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Favorite moment of the year?  That commercial when m8888888 dropped her towel and jumped naked into the arms of Tony Danza.
blottedcopybook
Broke it. What can I use it for?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007 01:39:16 AM »

Those look amazing! I hit this rocks and also submitted the thread to stumbleupon.com (I hope you don't mind).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007 02:22:59 AM »

a co-worker made home-made marshmallows last week (they're always trying to fatten me up just a bit), and they were SO good that I treated myself to a kitchen-aid counter top mixer so that I can make them! 

here's the link to the recipe she sent me

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_88610,00.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
Cazness
To design is to become.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007 04:38:22 AM »

oh yay! im so glad you're all into it! have fun!

i used mint and it was a little over powering and if u dont use the right mint they might end up tasting like toothpaste. thats what happened to me a little, but maybe thats becuase i ate so many of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
merricat17
Strange Grounds

Strange Grounds Coffee, 1417 S Broadway, Denver CO

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007 12:03:16 PM »

yours look great!  thank you for the recipe.  i might suggest, though, that for dusting you sub sweet potato starch instead of rice flour- its a finer powder than rice flour.  thats what i use on the outside of my daifuku.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
**mandie**
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007 09:30:15 AM »

I love the green swirl!  I made some cocoa mix and peppermint marshmallows for everyone last year and they were a hit.  The mint wasn't overpowering at all.  And they melt perfectly in hot cocoa! They're pink from the mint too.  Here's the recipe I used:

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup crushed candy canes or mint candies (I just used mint candies crushed with one of those little electric coppers)
1/8 teaspoon salt

1.  Into small bowl, sift together confectioner's sugar and cornstarch.  Line a 13x9x2 inch baking pan with nonstick foil.  Coat with nonstick cooking spray.  Sift 2 tablespoons of the sugar-cornstarch mixture into the pan, tilting to coat sides.  Leave any excess in the pan. 

2.  Place 2/3 cup water in a large bowl.  Sprinkle with gelatin.  Let soften 5 minutes.

3.  In a medium-size heavy bottomed saucepan, heat sugar, corn syrup, candy cane pieces and salt over medium heat about 7 minutes until sugar and candy are dissolved, stirring occasionally.  Strain into bowl with gelatin.

4.  Beat on high speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy 10 to 15 minutes.  Spread into prepared pan and smooth top.  Dust with 2 tablespoons of the sugar-cornstarch mixture.  Let set at room temperature for 2 hours.

5.  Lift marshmallow from pan using foil.  With a wet knife, cut into 6 squares.  Spread remaining sugar-cornstarch mixture onto a baking sheet.  Invert marshmallow block onto sheet;  cut each square in 9 pieces.  Toss marshmallows in sugar-cornstarch mixture, and set on a pan to set an additional hour.  Store, loosely covered, at room temperature. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rebel
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007 11:03:45 AM »

The star ones are SO cute, but I an imagine they'd be a pain. Do they taste basically the same as the store marshmallows that you get in a bag? Is the consistency the same? Yours look... maybe a teeny bit denser than store-bought ones (in a good way!). Mint marshmallows sound delicious!! I've had a recipe forever, and never got around to making them... this reminds me that I need to try it out. I love marshmallows! Thanks for the inspiration!

My friend and I made several batches of these in the last couple of weeks. We used a recipe from egullet.com instead of the Alton brown recipe. I have to say that ours turned out creamier than real marshmallows. they're like sweet pillows. we dusted with corn starch and powdered sugar. If you spray the knife or cookie cutter with oil then it goes much faster.

We also made smores marshmallows by coating the pan with graham cracker crumbs poured in the marshmallow, let it set and then cut into squares and rolled them in graham cracker crumbs to coat the sides and then drizzled chocoloate over them. we gave them away as gifts and people went crazy over them. I think we could sell them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your First Movie: Audio
How to Make Your First Movie: Lighting
How to Cast Your First Movie
How to Budget Your First Movie
How to Write Your First Movie
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...