A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,207
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk yarn falls! (With tute)  (Read 11933 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk , hair_fall , dread_fall , yarn , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Encaitare
« on: December 23, 2007 10:03:39 PM »

This is my first pair of falls; I figured it would be easier to start off with yarn than trying to make dreads right away.  (Someday I'll learn how!)  I found this yarn in A.C. Moore and knew it'd make an awesome steampunk look!

Here's how it was done!

Materials needed:
- two skeins of chunky yarn (I used Lion Brand Bolero yarn because of the color, and interesting variations in thickness
- some rough lace
- a spool of craft wire
- scissors
- wire cutters (if you want to be nice to your scissors)

First, cut two pieces of lace.  I made mine about a foot long each, but I have very thin hair.  Those with thicker hair may want to use more... and if you take too much, you can always trim it when you're done!

Now, decide how long you want the falls to be.  Mine come down to about mid-back.  Then cut a piece of yarn twice that length.  Drape the yarn over the lace, so each end of the yarn hangs down to be about the same length.  Pinch the yarn together just below the lace, and wrap a piece of wire around that place so the yarn is now held in place.  Also, wrap a piece of wire near each end of the yarn so it won't unravel.

When you wear your falls, you'll need to put your hair up into two tight buns almost right on the top of your head.  Do this now and wrap the ribbon around a bun to see how wide you'll have to make the piece so it will cover your natural hair.  Then continue adding pieces of yarn as described above.  If you want to make them look a little more ragged like I did, vary the length a little bit.

When you've used enough yarn to make the falls the right width, it's time to accessorize (if you want to).  I decided to wrap more wire around some of the thin parts in the yarn.  You could also add beads, wires, seashells, virtually anything depending on the look you want!

Now it's time to put them on!  Make sure your hair is up in two secure, tight buns.  Tilt your head to the opposite side of the bun you'll be using first (i.e. if you're putting in the right fall first, tilt your head to the left.  Position the fall so the ends of the ribbon face away from your part, and tie them around the base of the bun.  Then flip the yarn over the top of the bun, and voila!  You have a brand new hairstyle!  Repeat for the other side.

Some tips:
- Try taking one or more pieces from the base of each fall, and wrapping it around the base of the opposite fall.  This will help cover your scalp and also secure the falls, and relieve tension from the weight.  
- If the color of the falls is very different from your natural hair color like me, use a scarf or thick headband to cover your hairline.  Goggles also help here too. ^_^

Thanks for looking!  I hope the tutorial was clear, sorry there were no pictures for it.  Any questions or comments are welcome.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008 09:41:10 PM by Encaitare » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SHELIAANN1969
Crazy 4 Crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007 01:23:51 PM »

They're great! And you look adorable with them in!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BattleMaidenStudio
Battlemaiden Studio - Illustration by Valorie

I have a paintbrush, and I'm not afraid to use it!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008 10:34:06 PM »

These are just great, thanks for letting me feature them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008 02:55:42 PM »

I just love these falls. I think the tutorial should be easy enough to follow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
goatgoddess
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008 08:42:51 AM »

how very cool - thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thefireninja
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008 08:51:48 AM »

really sorry, but can you clarify this please
"Now, decide how long you want the falls to be.  Mine come down to about mid-back.  Then cut a piece of yarn twice that length.  Drape the yarn over the lace, so each end of the yarn hangs down to be about the same length.  Pinch the yarn together just below the lace, and wrap a piece of wire around that place so the yarn is now held in place.  Also, wrap a piece of wire near each end of the yarn so it won't unravel."  alright....i was looking at the pic and don't get how you do the wire....also, how did you get the yarn to look felted?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Encaitare
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008 09:18:14 AM »

I'm planning on making another set, so I'll start 'em up and take pictures for you!  As for the yarn looking felted, that's just the way the yarn looks.  It's Lion Brand yarn and the style is called Bolero. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thefireninja
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008 10:35:34 AM »

thanks!! i really love it....my friend is doing a piratey thing, and it would fit perfectly to have one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss World
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008 07:39:56 PM »

looks cool! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Encaitare
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008 06:31:49 PM »

Okay, here are some pictures to clarify my instructions.  I don't yet have all the materials to make a new set, so I'm just going to use some scraps.

Drape the yarn halfway over a piece of lace (or stripey fabric I'm going to pretend is lace):

Wrap a piece of wire around the yarn directly under the lace so the yarn is held in place:

Also wrap a piece of wire around each end of the yarn so it doesn't unravel and get messy:

I hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Origami Inflatable Bunny
How to Make an Origami Flapping Bird
How to Fold an Origami Sailboat
How to Fold an Origami Swan
How to Fold an Origami Heart
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...