A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bottle Cap Table Top  (Read 222549 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HorrorCraft
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2007 09:18:56 AM »

quartney- I tried that at first, and I had to constantly rinse out my sponge, because the wet grout just smeared and didn't truly come off.  So I did the best I could and figured, "hey, that little bit of grout will just be easier to get off when it's dry."
If I decide to use the grout method again, I will use some kind of texture sealer on the caps, to protect them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my spooky craft and decor blog====> http://horrorcraft.blogspot.com/
my not so spooky craft blog====> http://enduremyworld.blogspot.com/
mattchu09
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2007 10:39:20 PM »

Ok guys and gals, so I just tackled a bottle cap table project without ANY knowledge of what I was doing.  I just kind of had an idea in my head, that I wanted to make a beer pong table out of the about 3000 bottle caps I had collected in my three years at college.  So I took the caps, came up with a design, and it turned out AMAZING.  Anyway I figured I could pass on the knowledge I found to those trying to tackle the same project.  So here goes:

1st Step:
Figure out what you wanna make (this is assuming you have enough caps to do so).  In my case I wanted to make a beer pong table out of the caps, and I had a ballpark figure for the measurements in my head. I wanted the table to be about 8 feet long and about 3 feet wide.  But you have to remember that you need to build the structure to the size of the bottler caps in order for them to fit in the space nicely.  So I measured a bunch of bottle caps to get their average width and came up with most of them to be about 1 and 1/16th of an inch.  So next I took my measurement of 8 feet, and turned it into inches, 96 and divided it by the cap measurement of 1 1/16 " and came up with 90.35 caps stacked side by side to make that length.  Obviously you don't want .35 of a cap on the end so you can either round up or down to the next whole cap for your measurement.  I rounded down to 90 caps and then re multiplied that 90 caps times their width of 1 1/16" and came up with 95 5/8" total length.  By the same process on the width I took 3 feet, turned it into 26 inches, divided that by 1 1/16", coming up with 33.88 caps.  I round up here to 34 caps wide, and multiplied by 1 1/16th to get a width of 36 1/8" wide.  Now obviously not EVERY cap is exactly 1 1/16th wide at the bottom, so I added about a extra 1/4" to each measurement to make sure they all fit, if you wanna try to be exact here go ahead, but if you some up too small you simply won't fit a cap and could be a whole inch off.  Now to figure out how many caps you need just take your length 90, times your width, 34 to get a total of 3060 caps needed for my table.

Step 2
Now that you have the table dimensions set, all you need to do it build a table.  I made a simple 2x6 frame in the dimensions I needed then measured just about 1/2" down from the top of the frame to where the top of my recessed table top would start.  In order to make the recess I used 1x2 furring strips screwed into the frame all at a depth of 1/2" from the top of the frame.  This creates a lip on which you can set your plywood table bottom to achieve the right recess depth for the caps to sit in.  Here is how I figured out at what height the strips had to be attached.  Each cap was about 1/8" tall, and I wanted to make sure my epoxy covered the caps well, so I added another 1/8" to that for a total of 1/4".  Now the plywood I used was 1/4" thick plywood so you had to take that thickness into account to, so i cam up with a height of 1/2" from the rim to attach the strips.  After attaching the strips at the same depth all the way around, I cut my plywood panel and then set it on top of the lip and screwed it down.  After the table top is assembled you need to use caulk to go around the inside edge of the recessed top, as well as the seams where the 2x6 frame meets to insure the epoxy has no where to leak out when you pour it.  After this is down, paint the entire frame and top, I chose black so the caps would stand out more, and start to lay out your design.

Step 3
I chose to spray paint some of my caps to make the middle design stand out better so you could easily read the words "Penn State" but depending on what you wanna do, you don't have to follow the same design.  Following some of the advice of this thread, after I laid out my pattern and was 100% sure it was what I wanted, I began to glue down the caps.  I used a couple cans of 3M Spray Adhesive that you can get a Lowe's or Home Depot and layered it on thick, then filling in my space, stuck the caps to the plywood.  Almost all of my caps stuck, any that didn't stick I went back with some super glue and fixed them before pouring. 
NOTE: I chose to glue all my caps down before pouring the epoxy, but the spray adhesive does leave a spotty residue on the plywood in the spaces that can be seen between the caps.  If you don't desire that look and want to have a super clean look, you don't have to glue the caps down, you can simply pour a super thin coat of epoxy to start and let that harden to hold the caps down.  YOU DO RUN THE RISK OF THE CAPS FLOATING UP IF YOU POUR IT TOO THICK.  Since I didn't do it this way I can't speak of how effective it was, but my first coat of epoxy didn't even go over the caps, just in the space in between them and I would assume that wouldn't be enough liquid to make the caps float. Again I chose to glue them all down, just to be safe.

Step 4:
The Epoxy!  I took some time to research different types of epoxy and ended up choosing this Kleer Koat Table Top Epoxy by a Company called US Composites.  They were very quick in sending out the product, and simple to order from.  Here is the link: http://www.shopmaninc.com/kk121.html.  I found it to be the cheapest also, and it came out great, so I can attest to their product quality.  I used three gallons of epoxy on my table, they give you a chart at the bottom to approximate how big of a kit you will need, the import thing is to look at the flood coat volumes, which are 1/8" thick and go from there.  Anyway, after you recieve the product and are ready to pour, read the instructions carefully before beginning.  Also make sure your table is AS LEVEL AS POSSIBLE before beginning.  The key with this stuff is to measure accurately to get a 1 to 1 ratio of Resin to Hardener, and to mix THOROUGHLY!!  DO NOT MIX TOO HARD THOUGH!  If you mix the product too fast, and create a whipping motion it will create a lot of small bubbles in the Epoxy which are hard to get out.  After mixing the Epoxy until its clear, pour over your caps, using a rubber squeegie to help spread the gunk out.  The Epoxy is very good at seeping into the cracks and will self level when poured on thick.  I did mine in three one gallons applications,waiting four hours as recommended between coats.  I don't know if it would have hurt anything to apply it all at once, but I played it safe and did three coats.  The first coat I simply poured enough to fill the whole table up to the level of the top of the caps, filling in all the spaces between them.  The next two where flood coats, laid on thick to help coat and cover all the caps.  After you pour each coat its a good idea to keep an eye on it for about 30 minuted so you can pop any big bubbles that appear using a propane torch. You really should use a propane torch to pop bubbles and not a hair dryer because the hair dryer moves to much air and will blow the epoxy around.  The propane torch supplies a lot of heat without all the moving air and will pop any bubbles that may appear.  Let the final product sit for 2-3 days to fully cure before using it, although it will dry to the touch withing 24 hours.

I think I about covered everything, here are the pics of the table.  I am VERY proud of the results I came up with considering I am just a college student who has NEVER done anything like this before.  If yall have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them for you.  I just hope this guide is helpful to anyone who wants to try this project, I sure wish i had something like this when I started!

Here are some pics of the final product:

« Last Edit: July 28, 2007 10:45:53 PM by mattchu09 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2007 11:33:50 PM »

mattachu09 - that is impressive. it looks so amazing. i'm sure all of your friends are jealous. now go throw a big party to show it off! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
puppybreath

everything we do, is just everything we've done

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2007 12:11:33 AM »

im working on a similar project. I have a small table (27"x27") that I'm making a design in stained glass on and then using epoxy over. Thank you for posting your great pictures and notes about epoxy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sirensrising
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2007 03:31:46 AM »

Whooooa, Mattchu, that's amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2007 07:38:41 AM »

i wanna come over and play beer pong! especially on that awesome of a table!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dellastella

the crafter formerly known as avsceriline

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2007 08:52:14 AM »

mattchu09, having graduated from dear 'ol State less than two years ago, this impressive display of PSU creativity and ingenuity nearly brought a tear to my eye.

I wanna play pong at *your* house!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog  |  flickr  |  wists  |  pinterest
AWynkoop
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2007 10:34:30 AM »

mattchu09-  That is so very cool! Hitting the "this rocks" button just for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
mattchu09
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2007 01:51:27 PM »

dellastella, glad to hear I got a penn state alum here on the boards! 

I can't wait to give this thing a good workout, (I will need a nice big keg first though Smiley )  Thanks for all the appreciation everyone, its cool to see other people admire your hard work.  It def turned out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aquakeeper
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2007 11:54:41 AM »

I just came across this site looking for ideas for my own bottle cap bar top ideas.  I think I have got enough caps to finish my 6ft X 2ft bar top so I decided to start the glueing process.  Its more tedious then I had thought it was going to be with getting them perfectly alligned and trying to space out each cap.  I have probably spent 3 days doing between 1-2hrs at a time and have only gotten close to 300 caps down out of the roughly 1500 I need to have down...LOL

Heres what I have so far...
http://photos.imageevent.com/aquakeeper/pics/websize/MVC-006F_4.JPG

And heres a shot of the full bar...I got some work ahead of me. LOL
http://photos.imageevent.com/aquakeeper/pics/websize/MVC-008F_2.JPG

Mattchu...love the beerpong table!  Thats what I use the bartop for 75% of the time so it should make a sweet top once finished.  I am also going to order that stuff u suggested.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sour Cream Waffles
How to make Ingles Prairie Chicken
Grilled Redfish Recipe
How to Make a La Strip Steak
How to Make Gooseberry Jelly
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...