A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 308,216
Currently Running With Scissors:
260 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bottle Cap Table Top  (Read 271073 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BioChickiee
I'm easily satisfied with the very best

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2005 08:24:25 AM »

phrixus, did you use grout for that table or just glue them on and put plexi over it?? It looks really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SPIDERWOMAN9005
I rock in my black tee

I love these boys!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2005 05:41:33 PM »

Grin that is such a bitching idea! Thanks for sharing your creativity... now i have an idea on what to make my brother for his 23rd birthday! I PRAISE YOU!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

positive thinking and positive action leads to results - Satanic Bible
celcticmurphy

i was the turkey all along

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2005 11:10:57 PM »

mmmmmmm beer...i'm saving heineken bottle caps to make a belt but this has got me thinking of lots of other things to make. much thanks
t
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gypsysoul3
PinkBird Creations

take it light, and take flight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2005 10:52:57 AM »

phrixus13: your table is sooo awesoome!
how long did it take you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinkbird.net
uncommon, handmade jewelry, accessories, and wearable art.

on etsy: http://www.pinkbird.etsy.com

Read my blog: http://pinkbirdcreations.blogspot.com/
imreallyjustsam
poverty chic

that was hazy, cosmic jive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2005 08:05:05 PM »

glorious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DIYdani
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2005 04:55:16 PM »

This is great! I'll suggest it to my friend. He's been saving rolling rock caps for a while and wanted to do something with them. Thankyou!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gearhead_70
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2005 07:28:06 AM »

Just an idea, but why not ask your favorite bartender to save caps for you?  I bartend part time and we use a wall mounted opener with a bin underneath to catch the caps.  we have to empty the bin anyway so it is just as easy to put them in a bucket or such as to put them in the trash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisascenic
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2005 04:35:58 PM »

Are these all twist-off caps? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

phrixus13
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2005 09:09:10 PM »

Sorry it took me so long to respond. To make the table I made the top first and then put all the caps onto the top of the table in the design I wanted. Then all I did was buy some Epoxy. I bought a 2 gallon kit to cover my 950 caps for my 4 X 2 table top. They are all twist off caps for the most part. Once I had the caps laid and the designed figured out, I poured the epoxy over the caps. After 8 hours or so the epoxy hardens and you're left with a perfectly clear and hard table top with a beautiful design of whatever you want!

The time it took me to make the table was about this: 1 hour to make the table itself (woodwork). 1-2 hours to align my caps into a design. 2 hours to pour the epoxy.  So the total time was about 5 hours. Not too bad! It should be noted that this time is not including the planning I did such as measuring and coming up with the design for the caps.

When I built this table I was in college so it was fairly easy to get enough beer bottle caps from friends to make the table (950 needed). I have made a few more since college and just collect them myself from wherever and whoever I can. I found that many bars don't use twist offs (and bent ones can be a pain because bending 100 to 950 caps back into shape would be time consuming and having bent caps doesn't look as nice) so not many can help you out but sometimes some can. Don't try and get anyone company's to send you any either. They will tell you they can't because of legal reasons. You can't buy them direct either. Your best bets are to buy them off ebay, collect them yourself, ask local bars, and make sure everyone you know are aware you are collecting them.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything else and I'll try to respond quicker than this time.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005 09:19:20 PM by phrixus13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisascenic
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2005 10:52:22 PM »

Ahaaaaah...  I bartended for years, and we used bottle openers regardless of whether the bottle was screw cap or not.  Just easier on the hands....  Your table looks so beautiful and smooth that I assumed your bottle tops were screwed off.

Really amazing!  Really demented.  Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!
September 21, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...