A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,245
Currently Running With Scissors:
809 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bottle Cap Table Top  (Read 227597 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

terralynn
« on: January 29, 2004 07:55:49 AM »

Beer Caps were not my first choice, but being in college has provided me with this plentiful material!

http://www.dunham-tech.com/wenwei/BeerCapTable2.jpg
I hope you enjoy my first post!

I bought an inexpensive table and took a trip to the hardware store for some plaster and a container of Acrylic Latex Tile Mortar and Grout - the kind with NO SAND: it will scratch your bottle caps.

The process is simple:
Fill bottle caps with plaster and let them dry a few days. (You now have tiles)
Roughen the table surface and spread a layer of mortar on top, placing the 'tiles' where you want them.
Let dry according to package directions. (usually overnight)
Spread layer all over the top and into the spaces between.  Wipe off the tiles themselves and let dry a few days.
DONE!

This was a housewarming present for a friend of mine. He and his girlfriend love it!  (At least thats what they told me!)

http://www.dunham-tech.com/wenwei/BeerCapTable1.jpg
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010 09:21:59 PM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken pic links » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rain349
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004 09:13:53 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Filling them with PLASTER!!!!    Such a simple solution for an issue that has plagued me for a while. I posted a very very similar idea before..   the table looks amazing, I love the design, it looks fantastic.   I wonder if you could tint the plaster a different color?    does the actual table have a recess on the top?      ::envisioning wall o' bottle caps::       i am giddy with excitement.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
terralynn
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004 09:28:04 AM »

Use concrete tint to change the color, at least that is what the guy at the hardware store told me.  I almost did, but I decided I liked the white after all.

No, the table is not recessed at all.  I have heard of building up 1/2-inch sides around a square table, but I didn't want to bother with a round table as you could imagine!  I was worried that the tiles would slide off somehow, but I made it about 4 months ago and it is still in one piece.
Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004 10:07:23 AM »

Very cool! I've been saving bottle caps for awhile now to make some type of a mosiac out of them. You've got me all inspired to get started on my project!

BTW - You can also tint grout with acryllic paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
thecynthesizer

No llamas, but I've got goats and sheep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004 12:34:47 PM »

That is completely awesome.  I have a question though?  Why do you have to fill the bottle caps with plaster?  Why can't you just press them into the mortar?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are not alive yesterday, you are not alive tommorrow, but you're alive at the moment; if you can grab something for that moment...you have a chance." - Johnny X
HardCandy63

Short Attention Span Crafts Since Age Four.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004 01:41:42 PM »

hum....yea i thnk you prolly could just press them in..you might get air bubbles under the caps but who cares?? They are under the caps. Hum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
terralynn
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004 04:48:06 PM »

I fill the caps with plaster because you will get air bubbles, it is easier to dent the caps and they don't stick as well.  I know this because my first bottle cap project was made with hollow caps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
senor coconut

I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004 05:37:57 PM »

Cool. I have been saving those polished stones you can get from tourist traps (I live in FL. I can't throw a tourist without hitting a tourist trap), you know, the kind that you can "fill the bag for $3.95!!! (you'd be amazed at how many stones you can cram in there)" and I want to do something similar to your table.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Si Non Oscillas Noli Tintinnare
(If you aint swingin', don't bother ringin.)
sallysparks
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004 08:48:19 PM »

Wow. Wow is all I can come up with. I love this idea almost as much as I love beer. Thank you for the great photos and instructions. You rock! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kodama

lost in the forest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004 09:31:48 PM »

I have been saving bottlecaps for a table top, too, and wasn't sure how to go about it. I wanted to make a sun and moon mosaic, because I have lots of blue, silver and gold caps. This has my brain working - THANKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Chopsticks
Cooking Tuna
Soy Ginger Sauce Recipe
Thai Cream Sauce Recipe
Wasabi Paste Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...