A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 315,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swoon Harriet - Beer and Bacon Tote with insulated coozies built in  (Read 325 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BenaeQuee
Sewing Machine

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2016 07:29:42 PM »

In between making things for my Etsy, I like to make things for me. At the end of June, I'll be going to the Fancy Food Show in NYC, this means I need a bag that can hold samples, as well as my regular purse items. I wanted it to be food related and spent about an hour in Joann staring at various options. Anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE beer and bacon. That is the story of how this beautiful bag was born.
The outside has Beer glasses with various brews, it's accented with a burgundy vinyl, and has Bacon peek-a-boo panels to expand it into a tote. Inside features a 9" zipper pocket lined in bacon fabric. There are also two insulated beer bottle coozies built right in! The outside has a slip pocket on the front, which is perfect for a small tablet or phone. This easily holds a 6 pack of beer (bottles or cans) and two special bottles. A full growler or two half growlers, and two special bottles. Two special bottles and a picnic lunch. A 10lb curious kitty, etc. It has many options for toting around your favorite brews and things.
Vinyl on the purse from MiKri World Craft Supplies, it's a new one called "Wine Not" and is backed with a black flocked/fleece fabric. It was SUPER easy to work with and the color is just gorgeous. There was enough on this roll (12" x 54") to make this bag. The bag is Swoon; Harriet, at 125% size.

4 Pack of Beer and a 64oz growler.  I'm bottle aging that 120 minute IPA, it came out briefly for a photo op and went right back into the cellar Wink

The purse design has expansion panels to make it bigger, that zip up.  I put the bacon fabric in here for a fun little pop Cheesy

I also added bacon fabric to the inner pocket lining hehe

64oz growler and two special bottles with room for more!

Complete with heavy duty purse feet... and a curious kitty (River Tam)

Looks like it holds a 10lb cat pretty easily too   Grin

This is my favorite part, the top stitching.  I stitched the vinyl in the coordinating burgundy thread, stopped at the top of the piece, pulled the threads to the back and tied them off.  I then started just above it in the cream colored thread to top stitch the beer fabric.  The threads were also pulled to the back and tied off to secure them.  I didn't want cream thread on the vinyl, and I didn't want burgundy on the fabric, so I had to improvise.  It was tedious, but so worth it for the final look.

There was not enough vinyl to make double sided vinyl handles, which is better actually.  I lined them in the bacon fabric, lining up the "EAT" and the Piggy to read all across the handle.  This makes the handle more flexible and softer on the skin.  I don't like it when vinyl sticks to my skin in the summer or in general.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my FB page for more things by me Cheesy
https://www.facebook.com/BenaeQueeCostumer
PerfectlyBohemian
Fiber Arts Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016 08:33:02 PM »

Such an amazing bag! I love the beer fabric and the color of the vinyl. It's awesome how many variations of carrying beer you have come up with. And the top-stitching does look gorgeous! Also, adorable bacon accent Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest   -   Etsy   -   deviantART   -   Blog
Padester
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016 09:59:51 AM »

I love this bag! Love your fabric choices, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fatewineroses
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016 11:18:39 AM »

I love the Harriet and want to make one for my Mom for her knitting stuff. Those cookie pockets would be perfect for a skein or two of yarn. So 125% it is! Awesome looking bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016 02:14:44 AM »

Love the fabrics - wonder though, was kitty looking for beer, or bacon?  Or both?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

I like big quilts and I cannot lie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016 03:04:25 AM »

Beer?  Bacon?  YES PLEASE!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

This is an absolutely STUNNING bag, looks like perfection in every way and your attention to detail is outstanding!  *picks jaw off floor*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Introduction to Yarn Sizes
How to Make Plates
How to Make Vases
Glass Blowing in Red Hook, Brooklyn
Yarn Resources
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...