A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hat halp!  (Read 1333 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hellamanic
« on: December 22, 2007 10:47:36 PM »

okay... this is literally my first week knitting. Ive been working on a scarf all week (its still not done, but its close.) anyways, i really want to make a hat cause I love hats and also my boyfriend is a snowboarder, so you cant ever have too many hats. (we share)

my question is: can you please link me to some hats that would be good for a beginner. ESPECIALLY if they have really really dumbed down instructions. I can read a pattern but the easier the better, so that i dont get too frustrated. I do know how to knit and purl stitch, and I can figure out the other stitches with knittinghelp, but Im feeling overwhelmed with all the patterns I've looked at so I figured maybe one of you experts might be able to guide me to a good starter hat. (also i like hats with ear flaps but maybe thats too hard for beginners?)

Thanks guys! Smiley happy howlidays from my mutts!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007 11:03:17 PM by hellamanic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.
redwitch
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007 12:30:51 AM »

Check out knittinghelp.com the patterns page, choose the hats page, that will have dozens of links to hats of varying difficulty.

Also knitty.com, an online magazine really, lots of nice patterns with difficulty ratings

and if you are looking for the simplest possible hat, crazyauntpurl 's website has a customizeable recipe for a basic rollbrim beanie, no ribbing, maths explainied for stupid knitters  Wink no offence

Knittinghelp.com also has exlanations of abbreviations and what they mean, videos for many different types of stitch, and some free pattern links

THIS ROCKS   Logged
liebschien

"Do or do not - there is no try." - Yoda

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007 08:02:17 AM »

The easiest hat would be a rectangle folded in half and stitched up the sides.

I think 11" x 14" folded in half would fit most heads. It would have cute points on the top of the head. You could start and end it with 6 rows of 2x2 ribbing for that finishing touch.

A hat like that would look good and the method would completely avoid knitting in the round or double-pointed needles, both of which are usually involved when knitting a hat. However, to advance past the beginner stage, one must try new things. Perhaps a hat is your next step in knitting to become an intermediate knitter?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenoftroy
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007 11:05:49 AM »

the next easiest--
knit a garter stitch "scarf" about 6 inches wide.

R1: K1, K2tog, knit till 3 stitches remain, YO, K2
R2: Knit every stitch

repeat row 1 and 2 till the /......./ shaped scarf is about 18 inches long (unstretched)

bind off.

sew one / end to the other / end.

make an icord, or crochet cord about 30 inches long.

thread the cord through the 'holes' made by YO on top edge.

add pompoms to end of cord. pull tight, and hat is done
looks like this:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007 11:31:25 AM »

Queenoftroy-That's really cute! What yarn did you use?

Hellamanic-Cute doggies too! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
queenoftroy
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007 06:49:14 PM »

so no name acrylic, with a mylar 'carry along strand' of glitter.

it was part of stash i inherited. 

(and as you see, mine is slightly different than the directions i posted, i placed (in that sample, the decrease after stitch 5 (and have a straight garter border) but i've done the same pattern with out the border.

this 'design' looks great in yarns like Patons SWS stripes (or in  NORO stripe if you can afford it!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaghetti
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007 08:43:14 PM »

(and as you see, mine is slightly different than the directions i posted, i placed (in that sample, the decrease after stitch 5 (and have a straight garter border) but i've done the same pattern with out the border.

What a great hat!  Couple of questions for you, Queenoftroy...

Do you think that it would work in stockinette stitch rather than garter?
On the pictured hat, how did you get the straight garter stitch border?  Did you have to pick up stitches or sew it to the hat?

Hoping for a quick answer (no pressure  Wink)...I have some variegated yarn that I'm just dying to use!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
queenoftroy
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007 08:56:10 PM »

Do you think that it would work in stockinette stitch rather than garter?

No! stocking knit would curl, and besides, garter, like ribbing is stretchy, and makes the hat 'fit'.

You could however do a double garter,
R1: K
R2: P
R3: P
R4: K
or even 3 rows of stocking knit, 3 rows of reverse (or 4/4 or 5/5 ) (see my blog and free pattern for swirl hat!) but you need a 'balance' between knits and purls on right side to get the rippled stretch effect (and the elastic gathers that will make the hat fit snug. )

On the pictured hat, how did you get the straight garter stitch border?

On R1:  K5, K2tog, knit till there were 2 stitches left, YO, K2.
(change the K5 for narrower or deeper border.. cast on =to 10 inches or so, K20, then K2tog, knit till 2 remain, YO, k2 and have a deep folded cuff border!)

Did you have to pick up stitches or sew it to the hat?

as i recall, i did a simple cast on, and a 'half graft' seam--on this hat,  but i've also done a full seam, and i've done a full graft ! (cast on provisionally, make into a tube by grafting last row to cast on)

Pick your poison! grafted seams are the most invisible, but the most work, regular (mattress) seams are fine too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaghetti
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007 09:00:40 PM »

Awesome, thank you soooo much!  I did check your blog but I didn't realize that this and the swirl hat were from the same pattern. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
queenoftroy
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007 09:46:39 AM »

not so much the same pattern, but the same idea.. a /....../ scarf, joined into a tube.. by changing it from garter, to 6/6 rows of stocking/revrese stocking, the look changes, but the process remains the same.

a knitter could work there way through a number of variations.. --some wider scarves, with cuff, some narrower, (and just head bands) or start with garter, and then double garter, and work up to 6/6...

and then expand to other evenly ballanced knit/purl combo.. (some, llike a step stitch) change how the hat works again (Nicky Epstiens has done a "6 in 1' hat this way..the diagonal stitch pattern 'folds' in many different styles.. but basicly, its a flat, slightly shaped fabric, and the stitches control how it stretches. (and that controls how it works!)

I knit a lot of stuff. (you can look in photogallery --lots of albums, lots of FO's... but i enjoy hats.. I still learn things from knitting hats. even the simplest.

(you might think you know about knitting.. but i am knitting 45 years, and still learning!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Patrick and Sean Hemingway Talk About A Moveable Feast
Scott Westerfeld Interviews Cassandra Clare
Meet Author Christi Phillips
Chloe Hooper Talks About Tall Man
Meet Author Elle Newmark
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...