A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: anyone who has/had pink hair?  (Read 1377 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shayneblate08
Craft-aholic and not looking to quit!

Crafty Weirdo and Proud of it!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 22, 2007 03:57:04 PM »

Okay so I've dyed my hair pretty much every color except pink, and I've tried various brands and usually  they wash out too soon or fade or something. (I have a hawk.) I want to bleach it and dye it HOT pink. I really don't have enough money to dye it every two weeks. I guess I'd be okay with redyeing every month, but I'd like it to last longer and also, bleaching REALLY damages my hair (I have naturally black hair) and I don't want to have to keep re-bleaching it either.
I don't care about my roots growing in, my hair grows pretty fast.
Can anyone reccomend a brand that stays vibrant for a while based on personal experience (either you or a friend)?

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ahoy Sailor!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007 05:48:53 PM »

is there anyway you would be able to get professional color? framesi has a color pure pink that works amazing. i did it for a cpl months. its a neon-ish bright pink. similar to a highlighter marker. another brand is matrix SoRed. ive used a few shades from their line. they have one that is called red violet or something similar to that. it came out magenta like pink with using a 40 volume. the matrix brand is nice because you don't have to pre-bleach and it come out super bright and vibrant. as for non-professional brands i guess i would say special effects. their color last a long time and also very vibrant. any more questions feel free to ask. hope i helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shayneblate08

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007 03:15:51 PM »

I wish I could but I don't know any stylists. they should let people dye their hair any brand w/out being a stylists. dummies.
i'll try special effects but i have no credit card so if they don't have it here i'll have to use something else. thanks for the reply tho.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OhTheBether
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007 04:48:00 PM »

There is a Sally Beauty Supply by Best Buy.  You can get some shades of Manic Panic there, and maybe some other brands.  If your hair is short, you won't need a whole jar each time, so it needn't be that expensive.  You may be able to get 3 or 4 colorings out of each jar or bottle. 

You will need to bleach it the first time, but each subsequent time you won't need to.  The pink will wash out a bit each time and lighten, so you just have to go over it with more pink when you are ready.  Of course, until your roots get too long to look good, then you will need to bleach them, but you should be able to just bleach the dark part, it just takes a little practice.

I like Manic Panic (in the jar).  I find that the reds tend to turn hot pink, so I personally go for them when I want pink, rather than the ones with "pink" in the title, because they seem to get lighter faster.  Another reason to go with it is that it is easy to find!

As far as roots, pink hair looks better with dark roots anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I demand a snackrifice!

http://www.myspace.com/ohthebether
shayneblate08

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007 10:22:21 PM »

There is a Sally Beauty Supply by Best Buy.  You can get some shades of Manic Panic there, and maybe some other brands.  If your hair is short, you won't need a whole jar each time, so it needn't be that expensive.  You may be able to get 3 or 4 colorings out of each jar or bottle. 

You will need to bleach it the first time, but each subsequent time you won't need to.  The pink will wash out a bit each time and lighten, so you just have to go over it with more pink when you are ready.  Of course, until your roots get too long to look good, then you will need to bleach them, but you should be able to just bleach the dark part, it just takes a little practice.

I like Manic Panic (in the jar).  I find that the reds tend to turn hot pink, so I personally go for them when I want pink, rather than the ones with "pink" in the title, because they seem to get lighter faster.  Another reason to go with it is that it is easy to find!

As far as roots, pink hair looks better with dark roots anyway.

thank you, that is amazingly helpful. awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the_christine
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007 01:19:30 AM »

A long long long time ago I died my hair pink pretty often.  That was the last color of the rainbow that I went for before giving it up.  It was a pretty vibrant magenta, and I hate to say it but to keep it vibrant I just had to re-apply a lot.  I just used one of the creamy dyes that comes in the little plastic pot (can't remember the brand).  I'd bleach my roots first (bleach all of your hair the very first time), not all the way but until it was a light coppery color - then let it dry and put in the pink dye.  Then I'd let it set as long as possible, sometimes until it started to dry. 

From your icon it looks like your hair is pretty short, mine was short at the time so I could usually get 3 or 4 applications out of one little tub of dye. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cyanide_sugar
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007 05:59:36 AM »

My hair is pink right now (and its past the shoulders). My hair is naturally a medium brown but it was dyed black so I had to bleach the hell out of it first. I used manic panic Hot Hot Pink, I've had it for almost 3 weeks (maybe more) and only did a touch up on the roots once. The colour stayed in so well. My personal experience with manic panic (especially the greens and blues) is that it fades really quickly, but not this pink. Its actually very impressive! My friend says that Pink Flamingo by Fudge Paintbox is good too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zazazoom
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008 08:31:47 PM »

I have dyed my hair many times, and many different colors. Hands down the BEST dye ever is Special Effects (I got it here http://www.amphigory.com/special_effects_hairdye.html )

It is bright, lasts forever, and looks really nice as it fades even

I don't have any very good pictures of it when it was new, but this is how bright Atomic Pink was after a few weeks (on bleached hair, of course).

If you don't feel like ordering that stuff in particular, a good rule to stick to is alocohol based dyes. They might say on the front, if not just check the ingredients and one of the first ones listed should be some type of alcohol... if not it's probably water based and not as good.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008 08:34:35 PM by zazazoom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008 08:43:52 PM »

they should let people dye their hair any brand w/out being a stylists. dummies.

I disagree. Hair color brands are run by hairstylists -- and trust me, we stick together, and we look out for each other. Additionally, professional hair color like Framesi and Matrix are a little more complex than your box color from the drug store. The methods of application are a little more complicated than slopping it on your head with the incorrect volume of developer and hoping for the best. The brands are luxury -- you dont see Louis Vuitton sold at K-Mart.

At any rate, non-professional color wise, you want to use Special Effects Atomic Pink for thel longest lasting pink. I use it on any client that wants long-last vibrant pink and they've never complained. However, beware -- its very difficult to bleach out of the hair.

Heres a shot of Atomic Pink over light blonde hair (on me, in the middle) and on yellow-ish  blonde hair (on Dasha, on the right)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
sulkycat
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008 12:50:33 AM »

mines a very vibrant pink at the mo, its naturally blonde, i tend to bleach it all up every 3 months, then it only really needs the colour topping up every month or less

i want it a soft baby pink next, ironically this pink lasts so flipping long i will be a pensioner before its ready to go lighter! (yes yes, i know, i am almost there already...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Focusing in Close-Up Portraits
Brian Smith on Use of Lighting in Photography
Brian Smith on His Photography Equipment
Selecting the Photographs for the Book Art and Soul
Brian Smith on Working with People
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...