A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bargain Shopping for Thrift Stores?  (Read 3422 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CrunchyParent
« on: December 22, 2007 03:10:26 PM »

I do most of my crafty thrift shopping at the "big name" stores like Goodwill. Should I be searching out smaller stores for better prices?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting on my Crunchy Blog http://crunchyparent.com
cloudbreakchick

We're all one of a kind, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007 04:58:51 AM »

I find that it's best to visit as many stores as possible to find the best prices.  For instance, I visit an AmVets store as often as possible (they have half-price days!) but I still hit up the Goodwill, too.  I mean, let's face it...  I can get a designer pair of jeans, practically brand-new, for $6.  It's still a huge savings from retail. 

It's fun to hunt around and try to find the best deals, and who knows what you'll discover along the way! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftCycle
Gwydion
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007 06:22:06 AM »

It really depends on what you're looking for.  I find that different thrift stores are better for different sorts of items.

For instance, my local Goodwill is moderately priced on clothing, doesn't have a great furniture selection and charges too much for what they DO have, but has excellent prices on household items.  The Salvation Army in NE Philly usually has a decent furniture selection at very reasonable prices.  Village Thrift doesn't have furniture at all, but it's the place to go for clothing.  And so forth and so on.

It's also good to "stalk" an item you particularly like, but which is a little too costly.  Most of the stores around here color-code items, and every two or three days they have 50%-75% off a different color code.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafts4others
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008 09:12:12 PM »

You can actually shop from goodwill stores all over the country online. Their website is www.shopgoodwill.com I have found quite a few nice items, usually they include pictures so you can see what the item looks like before you want to bid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010 01:06:35 PM »

In my area, the Goodwill is the only thrift store that does not have bag sales 1x a month. I don't know if thats because the other stores get donated to more often, so they have a lot more to get rid of... But all the other thrift stores have their own Saturday where you can fill a brown bag generally for 5 dollars, sometimes 6. Some stores have rules like only clothing, shoes, linen, etc. But others its a free for all! A great idea would be to call the thrift stores in your area see if they have something like this.
Also, 2 of our stores have different days of the week set up for 25% off, like Senior's Day, Student's Day, Military Day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tracecrafter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010 09:06:53 AM »

I love  the 29 cent racks at goodwill! I pull out tons of great jeans, shirts and other stuff to use to make totes and purses out of!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trace
NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010 07:33:09 PM »

I love  the 29 cent racks at goodwill! I pull out tons of great jeans, shirts and other stuff to use to make totes and purses out of!
29 cents?!   The cheapest thing our Goodwill has is the $1.49 bin.  And that only includes any items they didn't bother to mark.  While I've picked up some great find there, I've never paid 29 cents... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairydustfaces
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010 10:03:35 AM »

ugh! Ive recently relocated to Tallahassee and the goodwill here has clothes priced like you find at target! Even their half off days which brings clothes to MORE than Ive ever paid at a second hand shop -- including consignment stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katie-bee
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010 10:11:39 AM »

Yikes, a goodwill priced like target? 
Ours is pretty much always the same prices...$2.50 for a shirt, $3 for pants, $1.50 for accessories...I think they're like that all over the state of Kentucky.  It's pretty cheap, I think.  I do visit the consignment and thrift stores in my small town, but usually the stuff isn't so great.  However, I did find some rolls of a waverly wallpaper for fifty cents once, and used it to cover a headboard that a neighbor was throwing away.  I like how that one turned out. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
becca3
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011 04:53:48 AM »

I lived in Tallahassee for 15 years.  There is a Good cents store on the West side of town.  Not far from campus.  That was the place to go for super deals.  All the Goodwill stores in town send their old stuff there.  It is priced by the pound for clothing and then other stuff is super cheap.  I bought a pair of Dr. Martins for a quarter (probably 5 years ago now.)  The store is only open limited hours, but it is an adventure poking around the bins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wiggs
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011 01:12:12 PM »

Ours is like 6 for pants, 5 for shirts. I go there to get glasses/mugs to paint for a buck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Korean Beef Stir Fry Recipe
How to Make Shrimp-Udon Soup
Classic Vietnamese Pho Recipe
Crispy Sweet & Sour Battered Chicken Recipe
How to Make Thai Fishcakes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...