A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Serger Advise?  (Read 987 times)
Tags for this thread: serger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Astica
« on: December 22, 2007 11:45:52 AM »

Earlier this morning I was thinking "Hum, I'm going to need a serger."

I looked around and this was the one that looked the best for me:
http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000TV6CWA/sr=1-1/qid=1198351165/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=16358221
Aka it does it's job and is sort-of in my price range ($200 would be nice, but I fear they'll all be around $300+ )

But before I splurge, I have some questions:
What stores in Canada sell sergers? (Other than Sears)
How do you know which serger to choose?
Are they hard to thread?
What exactly *is* a Lower Loop Threader?
Aslo, what's a Waste Clipper Catcher? (Or how does it work? I'm pretty sure I know what it does!)
Do you know of any sales on them/Where did you get yours/how good is it?
Does the quality really vary from machine to machine, or do they just all basically do the same thing?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007 10:26:19 PM »

I just bought one today.  It was a floor model from the Husqvarna/viking dept. on sale but it was still $299.  I was going to buy one at Joanns on sale for $175 or so but the lady talked me into this one.  She had a good point though.  Apparently some of the lower end models are hard to deal with ie. issues with threading and having to readjust tension, etc.  I'm kind of lazy and don't want to be bothered with that.  I can say that I have a Viking sewing machine and I used to have a Kenmore which worked fine but the Viking works better and is easier so I'm guessing the better serger would be the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Astica
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007 10:17:13 AM »

Lucky you!

I know that my school has Husqvarna machines for sewing and they're amazing. I'm sure a Viking serger would be awesome.

I saw one at Wal-Mart last night for $299 (Canadian)
Apparently the Canadian dollar is just *slightly* above American right now though. I wonder if I'll have any time to do some cross-boarder shopping this break  Undecided I mean, if I can get a better quality one for the same price, why not? :S

Prehaps I can convince my parents to take the few night vacation they wanted to in the US XD

Do you know what brand the Joann's one was?
And if you don't mind me asking, where do you find a Husqvarna/viking dept.?  Undecided
I know I've never seen one around here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007 10:07:39 PM »

Darn, I don't have the add but go to Joanns.com and they have a couple on there.  I want to say it's a Singer but I'm not totally positive.  The lady told me that HV one is better because it has the same mechanics as Jukie (sp?) which are a well known serger brand.  If you google husqvarna viking it'll take you to their main site and you should be able to find local dealers once you click on Canada.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007 10:21:05 PM »

To answer some of your questions:
They are a little complicated to thread.  You must thread the machine in the correct order so that it will make the stitches correctly.  If you don't go in the correct order, you are just going to have a bunch of loose threads instead of a serged seam.  Once you get the hang of it though, it gets easier.  The lower looper is the most difficult one just because of its position.  This machine apparently has a built-in feature to help out with the threading.

As you know, there are knives that cut the edge of your material as it goes through.  The waste catcher hangs there to catch the cut off material.  It is handy but I make do with just taping a small lunch bag to the edge of my table to catch the stuff.

All sergers are basically all the same in the same way that a basic no-frills Ford car is the same as a BMW with all the bells and whistles.  I have an older model BabyLock that I am very happy with especially since I won it on Ebay for only $50.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Astica
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007 06:44:21 AM »

"I have an older model BabyLock that I am very happy with especially since I won it on Ebay for only $50."
Okay - now I'm jealous! XD
But what was the shipping on that baby?  Undecided
I was thinking about looking around on sites like Ebay, but I was pretty concerned about shipping costs (especially being in Canada - -; )
And I'm under the impression that they'd weigh a fair amount?

Craft Addict - thanks! I'll check that out ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007 07:32:38 AM »

Not to make you too jealous...but the $50 included shipping! Grin  I really hit it lucky on that one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Astica
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007 07:50:40 AM »

Oh man, I'm green with envy now Tongue
XD

By any chance do you remember who you purchaced from? It might've been a one time thing, or they could prehaps be a dealer (aka if I'm lucky XD )

So far, I've found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/5THRD-OVERLOCK-SERGER-Sewing-Machines-SERGERS-w-CD-NEW_W0QQitemZ190185427982QQihZ009QQcategoryZ3118QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It'll cost  $53.95 US to ship, but so far there're no bids and bidding starts at $10. However, knowing Ebay, that'll greatly increase  Undecided
Would that be worth the try?
There's also the buynow option for it - $110.00
So the most it could cost me would be about $163.95 US. Which is way better than $300 Can. But still, I'm wondering about how some models compare with others. Usually I'd just go with whatever's cheapest, but I know I'll be using this quite a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007 09:48:31 AM »

Mine was a one-time deal.  It was someone that was cleaning out their grandmother's house.  They didn't know anything about sewing and advertised it as a strange sewing machine. 

I don't know anything about Gemsy brand but it looks like a good machine.  Especially since it is a 5 thread and comes with instructions and a CD.  It looks like it is an older model so it should have all metal parts.  I would go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Astica
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007 09:50:26 AM »

Ahha XD That's quite hilarious - but very good!

I'll talk to my parents (mainly as I don't have my own EBay account, but I'm the one paying for it XD ). But I think that I'll probabaly end up putting in a bid - wish me luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
6 Must-Have Shorts You Need For Spring
5 Ways To Wear Suspender Tights
Ways To Wear Trendy Statement Suits
Featured Blogger: Mayte Doll
80s Fashion Dance Video: New Leaf by Samir
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...